Stirring every 30 mins at night
But not actually waking up!

5 replies to this topic

#1 Elle232

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

So a bit of background, my 8 month old has just started settling herself. We never left her to scream, but have started letting her grizzle when we put her down. We are now on day 3 of doing this and she is awesome! And has now been going to sleep without a sound. We just wrap her up, give her a pat till she starts looking sleepy then put her down awake and she falls straight to sleep.    
The problem is last night she stirred at least every 30 mins. She wasn't actually awake tho, would grizzle for about 2 minutes, then go back to sleep. Then 20-30 minutes later would do it again. All night!! I got her up and fed her at 11pm and 3pm because I thought she might be hungry but it didn't help. She never seems to be getting into that deep sleep.
Anyone suggestions or anyone who has had the same problem? Should I just leave her seeing as she does put herself back to sleep in a few minutes? Or should I feed her? Or is that counterproductive to the whole idea of letting her self settle. I just felt like I was awake all night!

#2 lozoodle

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

She's probably just learning to resettle herself between sleep cycles original.gif

#3 Pebbles2424

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

I feel your pain, my 6 mth old DS does this frequemtly throughout the night, i can never tell if he's fully awake so i get up and go in, sometimes he is and sometimes he isnt!

#4 meggs1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Gosh that almost defeats the purpose of STTN.

I had a night like that with DS and he was cold, I finally twigged and changed his sleeping bag (about 4am) and he sighed and slept til 8am.  But this time of year that wouldn't be likely.  

If she's going back to sleep within a minute or so, then leave her.   I make myself count 100 before going in.  

Are you using a monitor?  Could you turn it off/down or put it just outside your door so you don't wake to every little noise.

#5 Goggie

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I don't get up for grizzling, I get up for crying only. It sounds like you need to let her stir for a bit longer? You may find she only needs one feed a night? They'll let you know if they are hungry because they can't be resettled.

Sounds like she's doing great with it though, hope it continues for you:)

#6 mandala

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

I find my DS does this if he's overtired or not feeling well. Funnily enough, my husband does too, especially if he's too warm or dreaming. I ignore it as much as I can - I work on the principle that if I'm not sure if I need to go in, I don't need to! It really disturbed my sleep, though - I'd be woken by DS stirring and then would spend an hour trying to get back to sleep.

We splashed out and got a new baby monitor that has a button to mute all quiet sounds, and also made sure the volume was as low as it would go, with the sensor across the room from DS. It reduced the sound of the stirring and I got so much more sleep.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.