Plantation Island Fiji

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mards

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Ok so I have read the reviews - they seem up/down!! - But it is only a 3 star place and what do people expect for the money - the deals at the moment are super cheap...

Anyone been there,...

I have been lucky and stayed at Castaway Island - but can no longer afford too ):!

So just wanted a quick 7  night package to Plantation just so we can enjoy the white sand beaches go snorkling and diving  - but for half the price of Castaway ..

Let me know your thoughts

2 adults - 7 and 9 year old - we LOVE fiji..

#2 mummame

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

I will be watching this thread! We are going to book in the next few days a trip to Plantation Island in May. Would be interested to hear others' experiences of this island? We have stayed at Mana before and while we liked it we would like to go somewhere else this time.

#3 mards

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

its the reviews about the food that worries us the most...

#4 hally79

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

I have been to Plantation Island twice in the last two and a half years and I loved it. Yes its three star and I think the buffet meals reflect this but there are plenty of other options there as well. There are two other restaurants at the resort which are both a la carte and the food is lovely (served on Fiji time of course but that's all part of it). We also used to walk to the resort a little further round the bay, its four star and has been fabulous every time we went. There is also an adults only resort in the other direction which has another restaurant called 'The Flame Tree', its perfect if you want to hire one of Plantation Island nannies and go and have a date night, absolutely amazing food and an evening that you won't forget in a hurry! The meal plans at Plantation are for the buffet nights only and they don't save that much money all in so my recommendation would be to just to go and eat where ever you fancy and pay on the day! There is also a little supermarket a coffee hut and additional cafe where you can gets snacks and milkshakes, coffee and light lunches if you don't fancy having a sit down meal every time. Hope that helps, enjoy your holiday!! P.S We also stayed at Mana Island which is a bit more than Plantation but not as expensive as Castaway and was also brilliant!! Much prettier Island but meal plan there is definitely worth it!

#5 wesse

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

We stayed there about 5 years ago and had a great time.
Yes the food is average, and it needs a huge revamp (unless one has been done there since) but we had a great time - you get what you pay for really in terms of food and accommodation etc. There are lots of activities for the children and the beach is lovely.
Since then we have stayed at castaway and the intercontinental on the coral coast - much nicer but about double the price, so I understand where you are coming from.

EFS

Edited by wesse, 08 February 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#6 steppy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

We stayed here about 6 years ago. We liked it a lot but our children (9 and 11) did not like it as much as Naviti resort. I think it should be okay for younger though - 11 year old did not want to be in a kid's club as she was 'too mature'. OMG now I've brought back the horror of that aspect of the holiday. *rocks in corner*

Seriously though, we really liked Plantation Island - had a great time there other than tanty tween.

#7 mards

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

thanks for your replies - those that have been to both Mana & Plantation - is it better food at MANA - or just go to plantation as you can go to Flame Tree and Muscket COve for alternatives?

#8 coffy11

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

We were there last year

Positives - beautiful water and snorkling
                good nightly entertainment
                kids organised activites

Negatives - no aircon in the bures and it was hot!!  You couldn't get away from the heat

We got the all meals inclusive but got so sick of rice!!  I would get paid breakfast and dinner.  Lunch you can just go to the snack cafe, they have toasted sandwiches etc

#9 hally79

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

I personally preferred mana but I would happily go back to plantation again. Food was better at mana but much less choice, only one a la carte restaurant and then the buffet nights, these were better quality at mana. The other thing to know is that there is only one place to eat breakfast and its very expensive, I loved just being able to grab a toastie or a milkshake for breakfast if I didn't feel like a full on sit down affair.

#10 hally79

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

[quote name='hally79' date='08/02/2013, 10:07 PM' post='15312739']
I personally preferred mana but I would happily go back to plantation again. Food was better at mana but much less choice, only one a la carte restaurant and then the buffet nights, these were better quality at mana. The other thing to know is that there is only one place to eat breakfast and its very expensive, I loved just being able to grab a toastie or a milkshake for breakfast if I didn't feel like a full on sit down affair. You can get meals at musket cove and lomani 'the flamed tree' that are equally as nice if not nicer than mana. Hope that helps!

#11 Dahlia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Hi There

We were at Plantation May last year and we loved it.  Yes it is only 3 star but the rooms were clean (we were in the Beachfront Bures - highly reccommend) and were serviced daily. Plenty of activities for the kids and our boys (age 5 and 7) found a few little mates during kids club. Meals at the buffet were hit and miss - some were great, some were so so. We ate a couple of times at Ananda's (great atmosphere) and Black Coral (really yum food) both at Plantation, and also went over to Musket and Lomani both which were nice - thing I liked about Plantation is that you weren't stuck with the same restuarant which is what swayed us between Mana and Plantation although I haven't been to Mana. Would I return - YES!

#12 Curly Wurly

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

We stayed last September. We had a great time.  We stayed in a 2 bedroom bure on the Lomani side, one back from the beach.  We had aircon and it was always cleaned to perfection. Perfect location as it was a stone throw from all the island activities.  We were there for 15 days.  Enough on the island to cater for all three kids at their different levels.

The buffet wasnt much for the little kids, but we had the options of eating elsewhere.  The Pizza near the boat dock at Musket Cove was great as was the supermarket to buy bread and cheese for lunch and other bits and pieces.  You could also buy BBQ packs and BBQ on the little island.  

It is 3 Star but affordable.

We would go back and request the same Bure

Edited by Curly Wurly, 12 February 2013 - 09:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.