Implanon Nxt ...opinions please
Contraception

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Puppy Love

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I have just had baby number one & won't be trying for another 3yrs at least.    
So do you have an Implanon Nxt?
If so any bad side affects? Weight gain etc
How often do you get AF, if you were regular before?

& lastly for those who have had babies after using one, how long did it take for a BFP once the implanon was removed.

Thanks in advance original.gif

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

I had Implanon put in 15m ago. After 5wks I had spotting for 2 days, another 2m later spotting for 2 days. Then 1m later 1day spotting. Have not had any spotting since beginning of July 2012.

Weight has been normal stable self.

No mood changes or anything. I love it. Don't have to worry about taking daily tablets and the worrying if you get an upset stomach (I get a bit of IBS) if you are covered and putting DH on the couch (as fourth P not recommended for me by OB... My uterus almost ruptured last time at only 36wks).

So yes very happy,

#3 Ariah888

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Puppy Love @ 07/02/2013, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have just had baby number one & won't be trying for another 3yrs at least.    
So do you have an Implanon Nxt?
If so any bad side affects? Weight gain etc
How often do you get AF, if you were regular before?

& lastly for those who have had babies after using one, how long did it take for a BFP once the implanon was removed.

Thanks in advance original.gif

I gained 17kg in 18months on this and started getting migraines for the first time.
It takes about 3 months after it is removed for all the hormones to work their way out of you system. It didn't have any problems conceiving after this even though the side effects where quite bad for me.

#4 elizabethany

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I had implanon before my pregnancies, and cannot recommend it enough.  The only side effect was that my period stopped completely (not that I was complaining).

Once it was out, it took 2 months to concieve, and I'm pretty sure the first month I wasn't paying attention and didn't BD at the right time, so no effect on fertility.

The only thing I would suggest is to try taking the mini pill (progesterone only pill) for a couple of months before you get the implanon.  Some women react quite badly to it, and it is a lot easier to stop taking a pill than getting the implant out, so you can see how it will affect you.  Don't be surprised if you get light spotting, it seems to be relatively common for the first couple of months.

If you do get it, you should be able to feel it under the skin.  Make sure you can feel it (or your doctor can) before you rely on it, as if it is mis-inserted (ie not inserted at all), you are not covered.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Yes my Dr made sure I could feel it and I had to sign papers stating that I could feel it after insertion. I can actually see it when I hold my arm in a particular position with the right light.

I found that jphaving suffered hormonal migraines (at ovulation time and AF time) my migraines have been greatly reduced since Implanon compared to being on the Pill.

#6 epl0822

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

I used to have fairly regular periods before implanon insertion. After I had it it became slightly irregular. It would usually come monthly but a few times I would have it for a week, stop for a week, then have it again; other times I might not get it for several weeks on end. GP did say a reasonable proportion of women just stop their periods altogether (which I was hoping for but obviously didn't get)

No other side effects. No weight gain. I never had weight gain with the pill either. It was so convenient, awesome not having to remember to take the pill every day. It's a very effective method of BC too. I had to see my GP today for something else and we randomly discussed fertility after implanon, he said with the implanon you can get your fertility back from day 1 after removal.

There are some scary stories out there with the implanon though (about implanon getting lost in the body, difficulty in removal requiring general anaesthetic etc). I understand this is a very small number of women though so don't let that put you off entirely. I had a lot of difficulty removing it and it was painful and uncomfortable, but the huge convenience of the implanon was probably worth it even then.

#7 elmo_mum

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

im the odd one out

ive had bad bleeding
first month was just spotting

on average they are going for 3 weeks

i hate it

i have put on weight and my moods are shocking

im going to get it out!

#8 bree18

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

I had it for a few months about 6 years ago and hated it. I felt like I had pms all the time, horrible horrible acne and spotting. It was difficult to remove and has left a very visible scar on the inside of my arm. Best thing I did was remove it.

#9 Azadel

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Another dissenting voice. I hated it. My periods never settled down, I would bleed for two weeks at a time I gained 15kg. It took nine months after removal before I became pregnant.

#10 cheerilee

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

I have had 3. The first I had in for 2.5 years and took about 6 months to fall pregnant, although not TTC but weren't using any other contraception. I had spotting for about 6 months then nothing until I got it out.

The second time I had it put in 6 weeks after DD1 was born and was fine, I have been lucky with no periods with it in. I had it in for about 2.5 years again.

When I got the second one out I never had my period return and then 5 weeks later found out I was pregnant.

I got the 3rd put in when DD2 was 6 weeks old and was fine again, no bleeding or anything. This time I had it in for the whole 3 years and got it out in November.

#11 Puppy Love

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies, it gave me a good insight to the pros & cons.    

I might give it a go, so fingers crossed it goes well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.