Cuisinart Ice-cream Maker
Does anyone have one?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Funnington

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I was given a Cuisinart ice-cream maker for Christmas.  Immediately I thought 'uh oh, another appliance for the cupboard' but, I'm seriously in love with it wub.gif  (Vanilla ice-cream with a couple of crushed Flakes churned through, oh my!)

So far I've just followed the recipe booklet that came with it and if anyone has one - I have a question.  I've mostly made vanilla ice-cream and the recipe says 'granulated sugar'.  You mix the milk and sugar on low speed with a hand mixer until combined.  What would be wrong with using caster sugar?  It's finer and would take less time to dissolve than the granulated stuff.

Also, the recipes in the booklet belong in the 'that's not a recipe' laughing2.gif section - the vanilla ice-cream is just milk, vanilla extract, sugar and cream.  I haven't ventured in to 'real' ice-cream yet.  Isn't 'real' ice-cream made from egg yolks?  Can I use a proper ice-cream recipe in the Cuisinart?

(For those who have one, please share any tried-and-tested recipes).

Thank you original.gif

#2 Klj1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Sorry, don't have a cuisinart but I do know that icecream can be either a custard made with egg yolk or just with milk and cream or gelatin as the thickener. The egg version is euro and the milk / gelatin is American because they invented the larger processing machines and therefore could make cheap bulk icecream. I guess with egg will be healthier due to less fat. Btw I found this awesome vanilla bean paste in Coles, would be great for icecream.
Also I tried making almond icecream in our vitamix, just almond and honey, tasted awesome. And I recommend getting frozen berries too...
Does the cuisinart one cool or do you have to put the container in the freezer?

#3 Funnington

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Does the cuisinart one cool or do you have to put the container in the freezer?

I have the bowl that is kept in the freezer - so, basically mix the ingredients, take the clean bowl from the freezer and churn using the base.  

There's recipes for sorbet's and frozen yoghurt too.  I'm hanging out for strawberries to be ultra cheap so I can give a sorbet a go.

On the weekend I'm going to make vanilla with a crushed packet of Oreo's!

Edited by Funnington, 07 February 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#4 CalEliKat

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

I have a cusineart - the top line one (mother in law purchased it), it is very flash and fantastic.  It freezes as it churns no need to keep a bowl in the freezer.  We use 600ml cream, tin of condensed milk and vanilla extract for our vanilla ice cream, have also used the recipes from the book that came with it and they are all great.  The coffee ice cream is to die for.  We have alway used caster sugar in our recipes.  

The book that came with ours has the traditional ice cream recipe with the egg base in it, doesn't yours?  We have made that and it came out beautifully also.

I made lovely sorbets this summer and even a couple of the sherbert recipes in the book.

We get an awful lot of use out of our machine - I recently made a berry frozen yoghurt with homemade greek yoghurt and mixed berries that I had blitzed and strained - no sugar added and it was lovely.

The machine is bloody noisy though.

#5 ednaboo

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

The recipe book that comes with it sucks.  Buy this: The Perfect Scoop and you will thank me later!

#6 Funnington

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

The machine is bloody noisy though.

I was surprised how quiet it was???  I don't think it was an overly expensive one - and certainly not the rolls royce model.  

The recipe book that comes with it sucks.  Buy this: The Perfect Scoop and you will thank me later!

Thanks for the tip!

#7 Klj1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Mmm yum! Oreos sound awesome!

I would be feelin jealous except I been mild cramps on and off so avoiding cold food.

Frozen berries are usually the best value, and convenient too.

Have fun wink.gif

#8 -HungryWoman-

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

I use mine maybe once a month.  My favourite is Baileys and choc chip, using a custard base....YUMMOOO

#9 *LucyE*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

I think granulated sugar is caster sugar.  Just different terminology for different countries.

I adore David Lebovitz's work.  His recipes have always turned out well for me and they are just so delicious to boot!

Ice cream with an eggy custard base is just a bit richer than one without the egg.  I like both but I know my MIL finds the eggy one too much.

Sorbets are dead easy and I find they keep better than ice cream in a domestic freezer.  I like having some citrus sorbets on hand for a really refreshing way to finish a meal (usually after the kids have gone to bed).  If I'm feeling decadent, a scoop of sorbet in a martini glass and I top it up with whatever sparkling booze I have on hand.  Yum.

#10 amabanana

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

I make my custard base in the thermochef.  So easy that it's actually not a good thing.  happy.gif

#11 haras1972

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Just polished off last night the last of my banana and Bacardi ice cream, and have friends coming over tonight, serving my gin and tonic sorbet, which is amazing... Make a batch every week through summer!

We're an egg ANA family so all our ice creams are made from cream - really thought the same about our machine when we were given it, but its a summer fixture now!!

Others we've made - mixed berry, lemon, limencello, melon and Midori sorbets, rum and raisin, coconut, coffee, strawberry ice-creams..

#12 spersephone

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

I was hoping to get one for Christmas but the budget didn't stretch to it.  I am still hoping to get that one (the freezer bowl one) at some point.

#13 50ftqueenie

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I am sooo making a batch after reading this thread. Now which one to choose?

OP, I always use caster sugar in mine.

#14 zzgirl

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

No way am I buying one of these....... I would get soooo FAT.  Sounds brilliant!!!

#15 weepingangel

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I love mine, even more so now we are sugar free and i've found ice cream that doesn't need any original.gif

#16 AllyK81

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

We LOVE ours too! Didn't think we'd use it half as much as we do. Our tips:

1. I find the egg ones are in the main not worth the effort. The other recipes are easy and tasty - just whisk and churn.

2. We just use castor sugar as it's all we usually have.

3. Peanut butter is our new fave. 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup milk, 1 cup cream, 1/4 cup sugar. Delish.

PP - what do you make sugar free? Do you use fruit for sweetness?

#17 Funnington

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

I highly recommend this kitchen gadget.  My daughter bought it for me and bless her, when I opened it, I immediately thought 'you probably spent one fortnight's pay, now what am I going to do with ANOTHER appliance'.  (I secretly made a batch to show her 'look, tada .... see what I made with your beautiful gift' - then I instantly fell in love with it).

OP, I always use caster sugar in mine.

Thank you.  Last night I was a little impatient and could see how grainy the sugar was before I churned.  Which prompted me to ask the question - I'm definitely using the caster sugar next time.

For those who haven't got one, aren't really into kitchen gadgets but love ice-cream, I promise you, this is the BEST thing ever.  Easy to clean, easy to use and 3 - 4 easily accessible ingredients to make the most sensational vanilla ice-cream.

#18 Magnus

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

We've used both types of sugar, but usually use caster sugar. I think the caster sugar worked best. I think the raw sugar might've affected the texture slightly, but I don't think it ruined the ice cream completely.

#19 milla74

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Does the recipe book that came with the machine have the recipe for 'Decadent chocolate ice cream'?  This is an awsome icecream.  It is a custard base, but not too eggy.  So rich and yummy.
And yes i use regular caster sugar.

#20 CupcakeMumma

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Jenis splendid ice cream is another really good recipe book and no eggs.  Vanilla with salted caramel delicious !!!!!!!!

Jenis splendid ice cream is another really good recipe book and no eggs.  Vanilla with salted caramel delicious !!!!!!!!

#21 silver-rain

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I love mine too original.gif I have the Ben and Jerry's icecream recipe book, and the basic chocolate icecream recipe with mini oreos in it is so good!

#22 Funnington

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

The book that came with ours has the traditional ice cream recipe with the egg base in it, doesn't yours?

I apologise, I missed this question - because I'm lazy right now and can't be bothered going to get the recipe booklet, I'm 99.9% sure there isn't a traditional ice cream recipe with egg, really certain in fact.  

I have the Ben and Jerry's icecream recipe book

Now I have 2 books to keep an eye out for.  (I'm a secret/die hard McFlurry fan, and my creativity hasn't yet extended past added lollies - crushed Flake, M&M's, Oreo's etc.)

Gawd I love ice cream - the really good stuff.  I could roll in it blush.gif

Edited by Funnington, 09 February 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#23 *JAC*

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

hmmm by BIL has been trying to give us his, but I thought the same as some PP's (another appliance to gather dust)....thinking I might just grab it and give it a go!

#24 mustangshelly

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I have one.  My favourite icecream is Raspberry and White Chocolate.  I also like Creme Brulee ice cream, it was divine.

I use the Perfect Scoop for my recipes too and also google to find new ones to try.

I don't tend to use it as much now due to the cost of all the ingredients.  

Cheers,
Michelle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.