Jump to content
Not coping at preschool
3 replies to this topic
Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:47 AM
My DD (3.5) has just started at a highly regarded and recommended ELC. she had previously been attending local child care which we have been very happy with but felt the more structured/academic program was more suited to her needs. She is a very emotional child and had taken around 2 years to settle into CC so it was a difficult decision to change. As a compromise we decided to continue CC 1 day a week as well as 2 days at the ELC. My thinking was that the CC would provide continuity and security while she adjusted to a new environment.
Anyway the first two weeks went well. this week however she has been crying and saying she doesn't want to to to either ELC or CC. i am concerned that having the two different environments is too much for her to cope with, plus the fact the only one day a week at CC is not enough for her to feel part of the group. I dropped her off in tears this morning at CC which hasn't happened for long time. I am thinking that I have caused a regression in confidence and security. Not sure what to do.....
Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:13 PM
My daughter has just started ELC. The staff said its common for tears a couple of weeks into term ( we have just finished week1) but they usually pass. I'm not sure in your situation. I would prob hold tight for another few weeks to see if she settles again. I'm assuming you couldn't change back to 2-3 days at CC even if u wanted to. Perhaps just talk to the staff at both and see if they have any suggestions or can assist her settle in the morning.
Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:31 PM
No we have just given up our second day at CC, ironically just before these problems started. I feel like I have caused this by expecting her to cope in 2 different environments. I had heard of other children doing pre-school and CC concurrently so didn't think in theory it would be a problem. Quite the opposite in fact - by keeping the CC day I thought it would provide a secure and familiar environment.
I think I will give it until end of term and re-assess. Worst case scenario we pull her out of ELC and just continue with CC and hope we can pick up another day. Although the ELC is a great program, we need to keep our CC place for our new baby for next year.
Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:08 AM
I tried to do both childcare and preschool with my DD3. For some of the same reasons - thought to keep the security and friendships at the daycare, but wanted the 2 days at the preschool as it was the preschool we used for my other girls, and loved it.
Not long after starting preschool, I was getting massive meltdowns on daycare days. Luckily, I was able to pick up the extra day at preschool, and we dropped the daycare altogether.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles