work and study
nursing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 crazyforkids

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

i have just put in an application to do agecare while i study. This is my first year.
The agency said that i would be on call and i would not get much notice. Not sure how i will go with that.

Anyway, i already work nights at coles. I dont know if i should give that up and just hope i get enough nursing work  or stick if it for awhile.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

#2 JuliaGulia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

I have worked in aged care and would hate to do it through an agency.  The work is very hard when you don't know the residents and routines, plus you could be sent anywhere.

I would recommend going directly to a couple of aged care residences and trying to organise work through one of those.  It is quite likely you will do a placement in first year in aged care, and they might be keen to hire you after that.

I would not be giving up your current job, because the work may not come quickly.

#3 wesse

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Have you tried looking at your local hospital?
The hospital I work at employs AIN's for IPS (watching scheduled patients) and on the rehab and aged care wards.
As pp said, agency work in aged care is a tough gig.

#4 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (JuliaGulia @ 08/02/2013, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have worked in aged care and would hate to do it through an agency.  The work is very hard when you don't know the residents and routines, plus you could be sent anywhere.

I would recommend going directly to a couple of aged care residences and trying to organise work through one of those.  It is quite likely you will do a placement in first year in aged care, and they might be keen to hire you after that.

I would not be giving up your current job, because the work may not come quickly.

Yes agree with this.  I did agency work in aged care for 2 years, and whilst I loved the work, the way I was treated at some of the facilities I went to by the other staff until I had been there a few times was atrocious.  
I am currently studying nursing fulltime, but work casually for one nursing home, and I do 3 - 4 shifts a fortnight.  I have 3 permanent shifts, and can pick up extra shifts as needed or if my study load lessens.  I much prefer this than agency.
Also an agency will not put you on their books until you have experience.  The agency I work for requested cert 3 aged care and 6 months on the job experience.  You are probably better waiting until you have done your aged care placement, and then seeing if you can get a casual position out of that.

Edited by KylieMin0gue, 08 February 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#5 Exhaustedbuthappy

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Has anyone tried work as a Personal care assistant or Mental Health Support Worker whilst studying, or do you need experience for that too?

thanks

#6 JuliaGulia

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Yes, I worked as a PCA.  Once you have done the first year of nursing, you have done more than enough study to cover the aged care qual.  It was very good experience for nursing.

#7 crazyforkids

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

thanks everyone. i was speaking to a friend today and the are opening a new rehab section at our local hospital and are wanting AIN's. this will happen mid year so i will be more ready i think.
i dont think doing the agency stuff will be very good for me as i have the 5 kids and studying. i just dont think it will fit in.

so after i do my placement i will try getting some work then original.gif

thanks again to the replies original.gif

#8 Rainbow*Seeking

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'm studying nursing and work part time and have two kids. Ds is 9 and DD is 17 months.

Work has been good I got my school timetable for the year and I just made them a copy. No more questions of when are you at school etc. could be something you could do!?

#9 antsy

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

I am also studying nursing and had no idea we could work in aged care or as PCA's. Is that true in all states? I am in Melbourne.

Also, where can I find AIN jobs?

#10 JuliaGulia

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

TooManyToys - I am in Melbourne.  I know many recent graduates who worked in Aged Care during their degree.   We don't really have AINs in Victoria (I think mostly Qld), but you can certainly work as a PCA.  Hospitals do not employ PCAs, but you might be able to get work as a PSA (more cleaning, food delivery etc) or a ward clerk (admin mostly).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.