Nachos..
How do you do them?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 3'sACharm

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'm doing nachos for dinner tonight and was trying to think of a different way to have them, does anyone do theirs different from the traditional way? If so please share laughing2.gif

#2 JuliaGulia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I don't know if my way is traditional or not. shrug.gif

I use the refried bean mix and just heat it up with water.  You can add a bit of spice to it if you want to.  Then I just layer with corn chips, and cheese, and cook on low heat until the cheese is melted.  Top with guacamole, salsa and sour cream.

I think I want nachos now.

#3 chickendrumstick

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

I do mince with kidney beans and medium heat salsa jar mixed in, with about half a pack of taco seasoning. Serve on cornchips with cheese melted on top and then guacamole and sour cream.

#4 *Ker*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

I hate refried beans, so don't use them. I layer corn chips with cheese and stick it in the oven to melt. Once melted, I pour over a jar of medium salsa and some more cheese...let it melt.

Then stop it with sour cream and homemade guacamole. Yum!

And now I want nachos...

#5 Angelot

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Corn chips and cheese, microwaved to melt the cheese.  Then add chilli con carne (a really nice one), fresh salsa (must include coriander), sour cream and jalapenos.

#6 Coffeegirl

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Strong vintage tasty cheese on top of corn chips and toasted under the grill until melty and golden

Add mince and refried beans -can use the El Paso spice stuff

Top with salsa, shredded lettuce and diced tomaotes

Finally fresh guacamole and sour cream.  Sprinkle chopped fresh coriander on top.

Or just go to Guzman y Gomaz and eat theirs  tongue.gif

#7 ~Supernova~

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

I grind up some spices to put in the mince (usually cumin, paprika, cayenne, and chili, sometimes a little tiny bit of coriander). I sometimes mix some passata through the mince if I want some more "wetness". Add garlic, kidney beans, onion, s&p to taste. I then make up some guacamole and salsa (have recipes if you want them).

In glass dish I throw the nachos, mince, salsa, and liberal amounts of a few different cheeses (usually mozz, romano, and vintage). Cook til warm through.

Throw on guacamole, sour cream, shallots (or green onions, whatever you call them where you are). I sometimes add a bit more diced fresh tomato on top too.

I think that's about it...

#8 FiveAus

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

I use mince browned with onion and taco seasoning, a can of red kidney beans, a can of tomato and a 1/2 cup of water added, simmer together until thinck.

Layer corn chips and cheese, microwave until cheese is melted, top with meat mixture, mashed avocado and sour cream.

I use white corn chips because I hate those flavoured ones with the thick powdery stuff all over them.

#9 NotAnotherCupcake

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Mmm, nachos. I just mentioned the idea of nachos over the weekend to DH and he's starting singing the nachos song.
"Nacho nacho man, I wanna be your nacho man"   biggrin.gif

#10 bubbanme

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

I make chips out of pita bread, make a chilli con carne mix with mince & beans.

Melt some cheese on the chips in the oven, then top it with the mince mixture, sour cream, avocado & jalapenos! YUM! I love nachos.

#11 caninestorm

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

We're having nachos tonight too original.gif

We spread the refried beans evenly over the chips, then salsa and cheese (use jack cheese from Costco), then microwave for 1.5 minutes. Can then put in the oven for 5 minutes if you want it to crisp up a bit. Add sour cream, guac (or just chopped avocado) and shallots. Mmmm!

#12 Chaos in stereo

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Thanks OP. We weren't having nachos tonight but we are now.  biggrin.gif

Well, burritos anyway, I don't have any corn chips,  or sour cream, or capsicum ( i like to put a bit in my bean sauce stuff).

Spring onions - yes!!! We don't have those either, sadly.

#13 sammyv

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

corn chips covered with Old el paso mexi beans and cheese, microwaved for 1 min then topped with sour cream and guac.  had it on Wed night

#14 Jjbeanz

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Corn chips with cheese and melted under the grill until crispy. Add on top chilli con carne made in slow cooker with shredded beef and beans. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomato, guacamole, sour cream and sweet chilli sauce

#15 Stellajoy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

DH is a chef so our nachos involve slow cooking meat for 8hrs, he won't let me use mince!

They are amazing but we don't have them often.

#16 Kez82

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

We do corn chips, nacho topping (in a jar), dash of BBQ sauce, topped with cheese sauce and then a sprinkle of grated cheese. Yuuuum.

#17 adnama

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

think we might have nachos too now.

we just brown some mince with diced tomatoes and diced onion.
Layer over corn chips add salsa and cheese and melt the cheese. Top with sour cream

#18 GenWhy

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I can;t believe no-one has mentioned bogan nachos yet  ph34r.gif

#19 ~Supernova~

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (GenWhy @ 09/02/2013, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can;t believe no-one has mentioned bogan nachos yet  ph34r.gif

Please tell, what are bogan nachos???

#20 mummyx3

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

We brown mince add taco seasoning, put over corn chips, put sliced avocado on top then sprinkle cheese over the top and put in oven. Once cheese is melted put lettuce, tomato and sour cream on top, tastes wonderful!

#21 GenWhy

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Mareek @ 09/02/2013, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was a thread on here ages ago about how to make nachos. One poster stated that putting salsa and grated cheese on doritos and microwaving was classified as bogan nachos. Maybe I'm weird for remembering it but it still makes me giggle.

#22 76 feral others

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

I put a big ass steak in the slow cooker, add a mix of taco seasoning and a can of chopped tomatoes. Slow cook for 6ish hours on low and then shred it with 2 forks. Mmmmmm makes a yummy slop.

Put corn chips in the oven with cheese.

chopped lettuce, chopped fresh tomatoes, capsicum under grill and sliced, guacamole.

Put it all on the table and everyone digs in to what they want. OMG divine.

#23 kpingitquiet

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

When I make nachos, they tend to look roughly like this:

So basically a big mexican black bean salad with some chips original.gif

#24 Lim Lam

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

my nachos/chilli con carne

#25 76 feral others

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (Mareek @ 09/02/2013, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

corn chips, cheese and jar salsa I imagine. My husband makes them all the time for snacks lol. I do not mind bogan nachos but make mine for a meal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.