Is buying a treadmill a waste of money?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Gembac8019

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Just wondering if it's gonna be a waste of money. Thinking with a good diet and using a treadmill i can shed some kg's..

thoughts?

#2 BearBait

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Mine is for sale. Used 3 times.

#3 Harmonica

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Many people I know who own one use it as a clothes rack!

#4 Gembac8019

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

wink.gif  lol, i have heard many ppl say they use theirs as a clothes rack!! I had a gym membership and all i would use really is the treadmill. I suppose cos i got right into it.

#5 April girl

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Could you hire one first to see if the overall investment is worth it?

#6 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

Why don't you look into hiring one for about three months and take it from there.

#7 bluedragon

Can you not just go for a run around the block or around a local park/oval?

I've never understood the appeal of a treadmill, seems like a huge waste of money to me.

#8 sparkles30

I didn't use mine much, as there are always other things to do at home, whereas at a gym that's all there is to do. That said, I still think about getting one again! If you have a big house, go for it, but if it is smallish, it's really not worth the space.

#9 teejay

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

The gym ones are so much bigger and better than most treadmills that seem to be available to buy without spending a huge fortune. I had great plans to watch tv and exercise while the kids were sleeping but the treadmill was so noisy - I had to have the tv screaming to hear it - then the kids would wake up. I joined the gym instead.

#10 Fat Amy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Only if you don't use it. wink.gif
Seriously, the advantages of having a treadmill is that you can go for a jog regardless of the weather and also a huge advantage to me having 3 young children is that I can go for a jog without worrying about finding someone to watch the kids.

#11 soapy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

I use mine at least four times a week. It's too hard with kids to go walking/running and I am too busy with work etc. I do it after the kids have gone to bed and watch TV series to get me motivated to get on it. One of the best things I have ever bought.

#12 Tealdash

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

I only brought one as I lived in the Pilbara and it was too freaking hot to be outside, let alone running in it...I used it often at the start and then not so much after...now moving to cooler weather I tend to use it more..I dont know why.. rolleyes.gif

#13 Gembac8019

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

I would love to go outside for a run but it's hard to get someone to watch the kids. i have a newborn, a 2 & 4 year old. I had thought of doing power walking with the double pram but my 4 year old can't walk that fast and gets tired easily.. i can't stand going for a slow walk. so thought about getting a treadmill.

#14 **Xena**

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Not if you use it biggrin.gif

#15 Jellyblush

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

OP, I don't know about a treadmill, but I bought a spin bike. I set it up in the corner of the living room and made a rule that in any night I was watching TV, at least one show would be watched on it original.gif

Lost 9kg and felt amazing.

I think it's all about working it into your life.

I.e., buy one, put it in garage, forget it, not good .Find a way to make it natural part of life, it'll be one of the best decisions you ever made.

My other tip is look on ebay or gumtree! Heaps of people selling!

#16 sophiasmum

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

I used mine a lot, like nearly everyday, until I got into running outside. Now it's hardly used. But it's a good backup in winter if it's too cold or too dark or too rainy to do it outside.

#17 lotsofbots

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

sold DH tread mill last night, took a bit of doing cost a fortune got nothing for it.  I will miss the clothes rack lol

#18 Rolex

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

I was using mine at least 4 mornings a week before I fell pregnant, and lost 7kg in about 4 months.

It hasn't been used much since I fell pregnant, firstly due to morning sickness and fatigue, and now I just can't be bothered, I'm still so tired all the time!   But I do plan to use it to lose pregnancy weight later this year original.gif

I think they're great.  I couldn't go out for a walk in the mornings because I had 3 kids, often still asleep, and a DH who leaves for work at 4am.  So it was a great option for me.

#19 gabbigirl

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

I am another one trapped at home with the kids..so a treadmill has been great.  I bought  a quality second hand one off gumtree.  The kids know that during rest time mummy goes on the treadmill.  I was doing  couch to 5 program and the kids would yell out the instructions...run mummy run...walk mummy walk..  rolleyes.gif

We have it in the living area as it won't get used in the garage.

#20 CountryFeral

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

The second hand store in this tiny weeny town had 6 lined up outside yesterday!

I would strongly suggest getting a second hand one - I suspect they are easily available and cheap!

#21 ~Tranquillity~

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Good for when you've got kids and can't get out of the house - as long as the kids are sleeping or will happily sit and watch telly for half an hour and not try to climb all over the treadmill! I second hiring one to see if it does suit you before buying.

#22 Frau Farbissina

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

we have one, my use of it has dropped to zilch. DH loves it and uses it  for at least 2 -3 times a week. So for us it's not a waste, and ummmmm...I'm really going to get back on the treadmill...one of these days - no really, I am!!! biggrin.gif

If you are not sure, I agree with hiring...or going to the gym to use it

#23 DandS

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

If you are committed to using it, it is great to have one. I have one that I got given to me, via Gumtree, and it got a lot of use last winter as I was training for a half marathon, and it was often hard to get outdoors when they days were so short. I haven't used it for months now, as I much prefer to run outside and there is enough time to get out in the mornings for my runs (training for another half marathon). While I am glad I have the treadmill, I find it mind numbingly boring (even when I watch stuff on the iPad as I run), and prefer outdoor running a million times more.

#24 Vickery

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

I walk every day, even in the rain - it's great to be outside and a great excuse to get the kids out too. When my kids were little I put the newborn and toddler in the pram and my 3 year old rode a bike.

#25 Feral-Lausii

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

I have one. I don't use it much as I prefer the gym. Mine is a good brand too, just a bit older and noisy. The treadmills at the gym I can plug my headphones in and watch tv. (tv is on the treadmill screen). Makes time go so much quicker. My one at home I used a bit when I was trying to get my fitness up and was a bit shy to go to the gym. I guess I really should dust it off and sell it..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.