How to cook tongue?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PatG

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I have had a tongue in the freezer for a while and really should get around to cooking it.  I was thinking the slow cooker might be the way to go.  Does anyone have some tried and true suggestions?

#2 Funnington

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'm wasting your time posting (and being facetious) but, I think the best thing for a tongue - bin sick.gif

Sowee blush.gif (I think I threw up in my mouth a little when I read tongue + slow cooking)

Edited by Funnington, 09 February 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#3 Madnesscraves

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

sick.gif

It's the 21st century don't we have things like chicken now?

Sorry OP. I agree with Pp - bin it.

#4 FeralBob!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

My mum used to simmer it in water and then peel when cool, before adding it to brawn. I forget how long it was simmered for, though.

#5 FiveAus

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Chop it up and give it to the dog. No dog? Give it to next doors dog.

#6 PatG

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Just out of interest, how many of the PP have eaten tongue in the past 20 years?

#7 FeralBob!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I would have at some point because I'm sure mum has made brawn at some point over the last 20 years - it used to be one of my grandfather's favourite dishes.

I think we're rather precious about a whole lot of  perfectly edible food nowadays, although having said that, I do NOT like tripe laugh.gif

#8 CFMummy

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

I thik you cook it like silverside havnt had it for years

#9 FiveAus

QUOTE (PatG @ 09/02/2013, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just out of interest, how many of the PP have eaten tongue in the past 20 years?

I have eaten it, but would have been more than 20 years ago. The last time I had it was in France and I'd eaten some before I knew what it was and wasn't impressed when I found out. It was revolting.

#10 ChunkyChook

Did you soak it before freezing it? If not soak it in cold water for 2 hours before cooking it to remove excess salt.

Slow cooker with 'stock' type flavours. Celery, carrot, cloves. garlic, onion, peppercorns bay leaves etc. About 8 hours on high then peel it and slice thin!

#11 PatG

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

I had to google brawn.  I think I find the concept of brawn a little disturbing....

#12 slvhwke

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Simmer it in some salt, sugar, bay leaves, peppercorn, onion etc for an hour per pound of tongue (or until tender)

Peel it, slice it nice and thin.  Serve with veges and horseradish.

#13 Funnington

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

I admit how judgmental (and critical) I'm being - never.  It's just the thought of it.  I'm certainly your worst critic though, I don't eat offal of any kind and I'm not a seafood eater, so a bit fussy where meat/fish is concerned.  I have horrible thoughts of being made eat lambs fry & bacon when I was young sick.gif  I wasn't allowed to leave the table until it was eaten.  (Fairly standard discipline then but, I could never 'make' my kids eat that).

#14 laridae

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

You cook it the same way as silverside.
If fact, my mum used to tell us it was silverside...
You do have to peel it after cooking though.

#15 Autumnal

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

My question is, when you are eating it does the tongue taste you or do you taste the tongue?  lol

#16 SusieGreen

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

OMG!  One of the clearest memories of my childhood is the tongue being pressed by sitting under a bedleg  laugh.gif

English father (poor coal mining stock) = offal galore...

#17 wannabe30

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

You have to peel it?!?!??

#18 lynneyours

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Peel it before eating?   sick.gif

There are so many nice bits of animals to eat - why do people eat the offal?  Especially the offal that filters all the rubbish out of the animal?

(shudders).....

FWIW  -  I've never eaten tongue or brains or tripe.  Mum fed me kidney, liver and ham steak once each when I was young.  After I power-chucked ALL OVER the dinner table, I was never fed them again....
I haven't eaten anything except chicken and seafood since I was 12, however.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.