Nanny and holidays

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Feral-chillibean

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

What do you do if your family goes on holiday?

We will be away for 3.5 weeks later this year.  In our contract we agreed to pay annual leave as per award 50% her choice of dates and 50% ours.

However, she has already taken annual leave, so while we are away would only have less than 1/3 of the time available as AL.

I am leaning towards paying her as usual, but asking her to do an extra couple of days when we return (I have a course to go to at work so would need a day not usually worked)...

What do you do?

#2 eachschoolholidays

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Could you take her on holidays with you??  A friend of mine has done this with the family she nannies for.

Our nanny only works during during term time.

#3 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

I've been in this position and just paid the nanny her salary.
I figured it was like if I was at work and there was nothing for me to do - I wouldn't appreciate being told I would be taking leave without pay.
My friend has been in the same position and did the same as me.
I would also look at taking her on hols... That would be good!

#4 Lokum

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Agree you have to keep paying her throughout. You can ask her to do days in lieu after you return, but you couldn't expect her to make up all the days she didn't work while you were on holidays.  

If you do decide to take her on holidays, it has to be negotiated in detail in advance. Does she get her own room (should do)? Own bathroom (not necessary, but she needs to know in advance.)

What will her hours be? Same as usual? Do you want to swap some of her daylight hours for night hours so you can go out?

IME, nanny-employer relationships always hit rocky times when nanny goes on the family holiday. The family often thinks that just because they've brought her and are paying for her meals/air ticket/accommodation, she should be grateful and that she's having a lovely holiday. Then they also expect her to work 24/7 while they're on holiday - wake up early to kids, babysit in the evening etc.

The fact is, it's more like a business trip for her. Of course you'd pay for her expenses, she works her usual hours and is free the rest of the time to sleep/sightsee/read, and she might get some extra compensation for not being able to hang out with her friends/boyfriend/cat while she's away on a work trip.

#5 her mum

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

If you've agreed in the contract that she will receive 4 weeks annual leave per year - 2 weeks at her choosing and 2 weeks at yours, then you can't very well demand that she takes an extra week and a half unpaid because you feel like taking a long holiday.

Really, I can't believe you're asking the question. You're her employer; it might not be convenient for you right now but you need to pay her.

#6 April girl

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (her mum @ 09/02/2013, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you've agreed in the contract that she will receive 4 weeks annual leave per year - 2 weeks at her choosing and 2 weeks at yours, then you can't very well demand that she takes an extra week and a half unpaid because you feel like taking a long holiday.

Really, I can't believe you're asking the question. You're her employer; it might not be convenient for you right now but you need to pay her.

Yup you do and you should. If she is good with your kids why would you risk souring the relationship over 1 1/2 weeks pay? Further, you'd probably be in breach of your contract with her which would be actionable on her behalf.

#7 Feral-chillibean

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (her mum @ 09/02/2013, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's basically how I'm thinking (although DH may have other ideas!).

We can't/would not take her with us.  Too expensive and family holidays are for family really...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.