My 4 and a half year old is very short

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Juzsal

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

My 4 and a half year old son is very short. He measures 96cm which is way under average. I have never met a. Hild his age smaller than him. I am only 5 "3 and my husband is not overly tall. Does anyone else have a child of similar height? Thanks

#2 tkenhrb

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

My DD is 5.4 months is 93cm and weighs 13.7 kgs

#3 FeralEsme

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yes, two of them. My eldest and youngest were both 95cm at 4.5. At 6 my youngest is only 107cm and 15kg. At 10 my eldest is 134cm and 26kg. My middle boy is more 'average'.

And I have seen childen smaller than them yes. Not many, but a few! Neither of them are the smallest in their year level at school.

Edited by Jemstar, 09 February 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#4 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hi, my 5 and a half year old DS is approx 99cm which is below the 1st percentile and is 12kg, he is now seeing a paediatric endocrinologist and we believe the cause to be IUGR or possible RSS with no catch up growth but he is going to have a GH provocation test to check his levels before we consider going ahead with GH treatment.

Some people have short children who are happy and healthy and everyone is fine with that and if that is the case for you and your family that is fine, however unless you and your husband are both around the 3rd percentile for final adult height I would reccomend considering talking to your GP about it as short stature can be a symptom of an underlying health issue.

I am happy to chat about causes of short stature some more if you like.

Edited by sparkler, 09 February 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#5 barrington

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

My middle child hit 100cm around her 5th birthday.  Although she is very petite and children two years younger than her are the same size, she is not the shortest in her class.

The biggest problem we have with her size (apart from clothing) is that her friends tend to 'baby' her.

#6 barney34

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

OP, Im on a holiday with family at them moment but when I get home ill measure my DS, my guess is that he'll be the same as your DS and he too is 4.5 years. Im also quite short 5"4 so im guessing unfortanetly he takes after me. Its been a constant inner worry for me, and yes he is noticebly shorter than boys his age! He will start school next year and im really worried about the teasing/bullying he may get, and as a primary school teacher I have/do see the littler boys get teased. Im just trying hard to bring him up confident and work at his resiliance!

Sparkler, would love to know a lttle more about the IUGR diagnosis and what is RSS?

#7 bark

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Yes my ds s 96cms and falls in the under 3%, I do too though, we have had various tests and no abnormalities noted, no much we can do, just hereditary unfortunately he took after me and not DH!

#8 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

dd is 4 yrs 5 months and she has just hit 97 cms tall, she still fits in size 1 around the waist and size  2-3 clothing for length.  She's always been tiny.  I don't know her weight atm but it wouldn't be much.

ds who is 6 is much the same, although he has had a growth spurt in the last 6 months. I need to measure him again, he still wears a size 4.  The kids at school pick him up and carry him around.

The next 2 babies after the above mentioned ones are much bigger, infact ds is 13 months younger than dd and is already taller and much chunkier.  He is in bigger clothing (size 4) the same size as his 6 yr old brother and he's only 3.

Edited by lifehacker, 20 February 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#9 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

DS is 5 years 6 mths, just recently had a huge growh spurt (for him) and put on 2kg to hit 14kg and is 104cm tall. I just bought him small size 3 pyjamas and the pants fell off. He wears an average of a size 2 pant and a size 3 tshirt.

His dad and their entire family are incredibly short, so basically he just has to get used to it because he'll probably be 1st percentile like all his cousins.

They have all individually assessed the risks and benefits of growth hormone and all came to the decision that they weren't willing to go down that path. I'm not even going to to that far and have ruled it out. If there was no 'reason' for his lack of height I might look at it, but his genetic potential is fairly well demonstrated by the rest of the family.

However, I think it is worth testing for things like celiac disease and other worse things if you have concerns.. Better to rule things out than wonder "what if"...

#10 Anemonefish

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

My 4yo DS is very short too. He's 94.5cm which puts him in the 10th percentile for height. All the other kids his age that we know are much taller than him. DH & I have been worrying about it off and on, even though I think it's just because he got my height genes (I'm 159cm), and DH isn't tall. At his 4yo check up last week, our GP said that he looks really healthy and that he's probably just genetically short. She said to keep track of the height for age chart and if he stays on the 10th percentile, there's nothing to worry about, he'll just be a short adult.

#11 MAGS24

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

My DS1 was about the same height when he was four. Then he had his tonsils out and has grown almost 10cm since they were removed about 9 months ago.

Edited by MAGS24, 20 February 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#12 IsolaBella

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

I am just under 5ft, DH 6ft.

DS1 is 3-10th percentile for height, always has been. He is 7.5yrs now. He has a classmate similar height, so they are OK with their lack of stature.

DS2 is 60-70% for height. He is 22m younger than DS1 but is only 2.5cm shorter. At 4.5yrs he was the same height as his brother was at 6yrs.

DD is 25% for height.

My shortass genes are strong.

#13 IsolaBella

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Should add my sister is 5'3" her DH 5'7". Their child is tracking 3rd % or lower. paed has no worries.

#14 c_shell

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

DD (age 2) is short statured. Actually, just checked the WHO growth charts for 2 to 5 years and she's almost off the page sad.gif (76 cm)

She was born full term 2.5 kg and 45 cm,   has constantly been at the bottom of all curves (at least she follows them consistently!) and doesn't seem to be catching up. Perfectly normal in every other way! (she had some unusual blood issue and enlarged spleen when born but since then perfectly fine). We've been followed very closely by drs because of this, have been tested for just about every testable cause of short-stature and finally a genetic test showed she had an unusual gene mutation they don't know much about. This of course scared us given the other 2 known cases in the world are developmentally delayed, however, DDs deletion of gene material is smaller than theirs and she seems to be doing fine (thank god!). I hope that others who might eventually get the same diagnosis will see that there are happy endings too!

Next step is to see an endocrinologist at about 3-4 years to decide if we want to try HGH treatment.

Issues we've had with size are holding pants up (I'll be taking in alot of clothes once she's out of nappies, if she doesn't use MCNs her pants fall down!), and finding walking shoes in her size when she started walking (hard!). I imagine as they get older it will be harder finding age appropriate clothes and shoes, boots for skiing or skating if they want to try that, and fitting above the big hand to ride the rollercoaster!

OP - Do you think you want to follow up on why he's short?  Is he teased at all?  Because we have known about DDs short stature from teh start, we are trying to treat her as if she were a big, robust kid, so not letting her get carried too much or treated like she's younger. We want her to feel she can do anything, regardless of size.

#15 IsolaBella

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

5yrs was 98.5cm for DS1. He is now up to 117cm and 10% or height at nearly 7.5yrs of age.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.