Daytime Sleep- Till what age?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 snortle

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

All my kids have one daytime sleep (thankfully all at the same time!)
My DD1 though is turning 5 end of April and I'm thinking is she too old for this?

She doesn't have a daytime sleep on days she is at kinder through that period but it only works out to affect one day a week so she does have her daytime sleep 6 out of 7 days.

She is my oldest so I haven't dealt with this yet but do I just wait for her to drop her daytime sleep or do I "wean" her off it?

I decided some time ago I would let her decide and if she said she didnt want to sleep I would say ok but she hasn't once fought me on it since then  shrug.gif
I think its just the done thing and she just goes along with it.

She wont start prep till next year but I guess I will have to drop her daytime sleep by then?
But some days I feel like she still really needs it.

Very insignificant issue in the grand scheme of things but would be good to get an idea of whats normal
TIA!

#2 Justaduck

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Wow, DD is almost 1 and only naps 2 or 3 times a week, a bit jealous!
I worked in childcare and it does vary, some nap all the way up until prep & I know some preps have a cushion area where the kids can have a small nap for the first term if they need to

#3 Dionysus

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

DD was 3.5 when she dropped her day sleep- just 3 weeks ago!

And, that was old in my circle of friends!

Though, as kids I remember my brothers and I having day naps till we started full time school - and even then I think we were sent to our rooms for an hour every afternoon on weekends.

I so wish DD had have kept hers up for another year - I still think she needs it, but for the life of me I cannot get her to sleep.

After 2.5 years of easy sleeps, it just stopped one day!  (her first 12 months were horrendous  lol)

#4 belbelchic

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

miss 3 hasnt day napped here for over a year, only if she is sick, or if she has been up really early, and then its only an hour.

when at childcare she will nap for about an hour and half...

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

If she goes to bed at night, I wouldn't worry about it.  My 3.5yo won't go to sleep till 10 if she sleeps in the day now, so I don't encourage naps.  If she is particularly grumpy, I try to get her to bed earlier in the evening.  My boys dropped their sleeps at 3 and just over 2.

#6 libbylu

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

My DS stopped sleeping during the day by 2.5 years.  His best friend was sleeping during the day until 5.5 years.  I think there is a big range.  We had to stop the day nap because he was up at night past 9.30 if he slept, and he was only sleeping for 50 mins in the end anyway, so he actually got a full extra hour or more sleep each 24 hours without his nap, as he would go down at 7pm.
As long as it doesn't affect their going to bed without a fuss at night, then keep it going as long as possible I reckon! Although obviously they won't be able to nap at school, so you should probably stop it a few months before school starts to get them used to getting through the day without.

#7 BeYOUtiful

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

My son is only 2.5 but just wondered how she is after the kinder days without a sleep?

#8 MahnaMahna

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

My first two both stopped their daytime sleep just after they turned 3.

If having the daytime sleep is not affecting her night time sleep then I wouldn't be concerned. They still do rest time/sleep time in the first year of kindy/prep (well they do in my state anyway).

#9 lozoodle

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

My dd is 4y2m and still naps when the 2yo does. Im hoping it continues!

She can easily manage without it, but seeing as its not affecting her night sleep ill encourage it for a while yet.

Can your dd manage ok if she misses a nap? If so just leave it be, she will stop eventually and i wouldnt worry. Id still have a day nap if work would let me tthumbs.gif

#10 cinnabubble

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

My children pretty much stop daysleeps/aren't offered the opportunity to daysleep by two. Otherwise they're up til 10 and it's not fair on the rest of the family.

#11 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

My eldest started  Prep at 4.5 still having a nap. She gradually dropped it over the course of the year (she had an awesome teacher) but even now at 7.5 she still needs the occasional nap.

I've asked her Drs about it and always been told some kids just need more sleep original.gif

#12 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

Mine stopped just over 2.

#13 KayDan0707

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

Both my sons had day sleeps right up to school and still continue to have them on weekends.  We've been very lucky in that it has never effected their night sleep and they have no problems going down at 7.30pm.  They are 8 and 5 1/2 - we consider ourselves very fortunate...our friends are very jealous!

#14 Peppery

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

DD stopped around 2. Occasionally she will fall asleep in the afternoon but that is once every few weeks. It is usually on the floor, next to whatever she is playing with.

#15 Kay1

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

Some do nap all the way up to school.

Mine both loved their looooong afternoon nap but at 3.5-4 got to a stage where if they had one they'd be awake til 10-12 at night so I had to cut it out. Shortening it didn't work because they'd wake up miserable so for the first few weeks I'd let them watch tv or something at their normal sleep time to ensure they didn't fall asleep (this didn't always work!) and then get them to bed really early. Its a sad time for mum when the nap goes but personally I'd start to cut it out towards the middle of this year, she may still need one every few days to get her through. That way she should be ok to go without it when she starts school.

#16 IsolaBella

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 10/02/2013, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My children pretty much stop daysleeps/aren't offered the opportunity to daysleep by two. Otherwise they're up til 10 and it's not fair on the rest of the family.

Mine too. They were never good day sleepers any way. Only two out of three day slept and that was only 12-20m of age. I had three cat nappers pre 12m.

#17 overthehill

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

DS is 5.5 and even though I don't encourage it he can still sleep in the day especially if we are in the car. If he does sleep he won't sleep at night until 9.30ish.  
If he doesn't sleep is is crashed out by 7.30pm

#18 happygurl06

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

DD had 3 hour day sleeps until 4.5.  She was in full time day care.  On weekends she would do 2 hours.  Because if this she went to bed at 9:30pm.  This worked for us though as we could spend quality time together in the evenings.

Once she was in the kinder room they had rest time and she would sometimes end up asleep on a cushion, but they would rouse her after an hour.

One she started FYOS no sleeps but in bed by 7:30.

#19 snortle

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for all your replies everyone.
It's reassuring to hear she's not the only one!
I think I will just let her continue on for now and reduce it near the end if the year in time for school original.gif

Thanks everyone original.gif

#20 Natttmumm

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

DD1 was  yr between 3 and 4 when she slowly dropped it. It took a yr
DD2 is 3.5 and sleeps every day and puts herself to bed after lunch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.