How do you celebrate milestone events

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cb2

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

How have you/would you celebrate milestone events such as 40th,50th bday, 10th,15th,20th wedding anniversary etc etc

After some ideas for upcoming events in the next 2 years

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Depends on what type of person you are.

I am wildly introvert, so the idea of a big party would send e running for miles.

For our 10th wedding anniversary next month, DH and I are going away for a long weekend to a spa retreat. Kids are being looked after by my folks. If we had the cash my dream was always a week in Bora Bora... But we haven't won the Lottery.

My 40th in 18m time will be hopefully a week holiday with DH. Otherwise a nice dinner with DH and a night at a city hotel. If you were really pushing it for something big, maybe a dinner out with friends.

For DH (who has been invited to lots of big catered 40th events), we may hire a private dining room and invite 20 or so guests.

MIL turned 80 the other year. We just took her out to lunch. Her SIL for her 80th had a sw**ky do in a ballroom for her 80th.

My folks have been married 45yrs. Have never done anything other than dinner out together.

For our 30ths years ago we went out with two other couples for dinner. DH met up with some mates at a bar for drinks. My 21st was dinner for 20.

ETA my brother on the other hand is extrovert. So his 40th involved a weekend away party. 80 guests, major party. huge thing. Cost more than most people's wedding.

We have been to catered cocktails and private room at nightclub/bar, fully catered party in people's homes, functions in ballrooms, private dinner rooms at restaurants. All depends on your budget and what type of person you are.

Themes have been Bond, Austin Powers, Spanish, Age of Jazz

Edited by lsolaBella, 10 February 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#3 LynnyP

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

We go out to dinner or go away, just the two of us.  I'm not a party person.

#4 cinnabubble

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

I sedulously ignore them.

#5 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Am I supposed to do something?

#6 jayskette

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

milestone birthdays is just another birthday to me, but since all of my friends are asking me what I would do and they have indicated that they would join me in whatever I've decided, we are now going to a degustation dinner at Quay original.gif

#7 JRA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

I think there is a huge difference between a 10th anniversary and a 50th anniversary.

Mum and dad's 40th and 50th anniversary we did a "party". I think the 50th was an afternoon tea, that was all mum could stand up to at that stage, the 40th was at night.

I now realise you meant 50th birthday.

For 40th we did reasonable catered parties at home. DH did not do one for his 50th, which he is annoyed by now, so he is putting pressure on me to have one for my 50th. I only probably want a smaller number of people for my 50th so doing the whole catering at home is probably not going to work as there just wont be enough people. So time will tell on that.

For our 10th wedding anniversary and 15th we didn't do much. 20th haven't thought about that yet

#8 JRA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

I think there is a huge difference between a 10th anniversary and a 50th anniversary.

Mum and dad's 40th and 50th anniversary we did a "party". I think the 50th was an afternoon tea, that was all mum could stand up to at that stage, the 40th was at night.

I now realise you meant 50th birthday.

For 40th we did reasonable catered parties at home. DH did not do one for his 50th, which he is annoyed by now, so he is putting pressure on me to have one for my 50th. I only probably want a smaller number of people for my 50th so doing the whole catering at home is probably not going to work as there just wont be enough people. So time will tell on that.

For our 10th wedding anniversary and 15th we didn't do much. 20th haven't thought about that yet

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.