your most horrifying recipe?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 Excentrique Feral

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

I watched a few episodes of honey boo boo on youtube. They have a secret family recipe. It only contains spaghetti, tomato sauce and butter. Whats horrifying is that there are equal parts butter to tomato sauce.  sick.gif

Do you have a recipe or similar that others would be horrified by? A weird food combination you enjoy?

#2 ELH05

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I was looking for a lime cheesecake and found a recipe that contained nothing much else but lime jelly crystals and cream cheese for the filling.  Let's just say it was  sick.gif  don't know why I thought it was going to work & be nice !

#3 librablonde

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

When I was a kid and my parents were poor Mum made us "Sweet & Sour Chops" on a weekly rotation: a casserole tray of raw chops topped with a large amount of tomato sauce, lots of sugar and splashes of vinegar sprinkled on top, then the whole lot cooked in the oven until done. My brother and I used to scramble to the table to tuck into this mega-feast, we loved it served with a heap of white rice.

My whole family became vegetarians by the time I was in my teens  biggrin.gif

#4 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (librablonde @ 10/02/2013, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was a kid and my parents were poor Mum made us "Sweet & Sour Chops" on a weekly rotation: a casserole tray of raw chops topped with a large amount of tomato sauce, lots of sugar and splashes of vinegar sprinkled on top, then the whole lot cooked in the oven until done. My brother and I used to scramble to the table to tuck into this mega-feast, we loved it served with a heap of white rice.

My whole family became vegetarians by the time I was in my teens  biggrin.gif

I make something similar to this - it's an old CWA recipe  original.gif

The Mum of one of my friends was really keen on fruit in main meals.  The most memorable - banana and prune pizza  ohmy.gif   sick.gif

#5 Country (deci)Mel

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

People have suggested to me that neither pate and coriander on toast, nor cous cous with chilli and spring onion are traditional breakfast meals.

Pfft... what do they know!

#6 Escapin

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Favourites with my family are peanut butter and sweet gherkin sandwiches, and... Wait for it... tinned beetroot and vegemite sandwiches. Don't knock it until you've tried it peeps!!!

#7 Mmmcheese

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

When I need some quick comfort food, I have tomato sauce on spaghetti with grated tasty cheese. I only eat it when no one else is home!

Edited for dp

Edited by Mmmcheese, 10 February 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#8 ELH05

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (Escapin @ 10/02/2013, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Favourites with my family are peanut butter and sweet gherkin sandwiches, and... Wait for it... tinned beetroot and vegemite sandwiches. Don't knock it until you've tried it peeps!!!

I love beetroot & Vegemite - cant say I've tried it together but will give it a go for the team original.gif

#9 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Mmmcheese @ 10/02/2013, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I need some quick comfort food, I have tomato sauce on spaghetti with grated tasty cheese. I only eat it when no one else is home!

This is my go-to lunch when DH isn't home to make me sandwiches biggrin.gif

#10 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

My MIL is the most terrible cook.

Her idea of Chilli con carne is mince, baked beans and Chilli powder served on rice.

Curry sauce is a cup of tomato sauce, a cup of HP sauce and a can of cream of mushroom soup.

Every other meal is assorted frozen vegetables with a can of cream of mushroom soup served on rice or pasta.

#11 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Two minute noodles, creamed corn, tinned tuna, and melted cheese.  

Not sure it's a recipe but a tin of condensed milk, boiled until it turns to caramel.  

My dad makes "train smash" which is a normal cooked breakfast (bacon, eggs, tomatoes, beans etc) but cooked all mushed together in the one pan.

#12 boysescakes

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

My mum was and still is the champion of leftovers....she would whip up some strange combinations sometimes!!!  I still like a bit of leftover pasta, a bit of butter and grated cheese.  Mmmmm love the gooey cheese!  So simple, but yum!

#13 Goggie

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 10/02/2013, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My MIL is the most terrible cook.

Her idea of Chilli con carne is mince, baked beans and Chilli powder served on rice.

Curry sauce is a cup of tomato sauce, a cup of HP sauce and a can of cream of mushroom soup.

Every other meal is assorted frozen vegetables with a can of cream of mushroom soup served on rice or pasta.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

That all sounds vile. How do you eat that or do you just make an excuse and say sorry I ate already.

#14 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Goggie @ 10/02/2013, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That all sounds vile. How do you eat that or do you just make an excuse and say sorry I ate already.

She doesn't cook for us anymore as she lives overseas now. She used to come back and do a family roast (which was yum) but her and I have since fallen out so thankfully won't have to endure any of those meals ever again.

It's no wonder DH thinks I'm a brilliant cook. I'm truly not. I can not make basic meals, but I do make them from scratch at least, or am happy to go out and splurge on a jar of curry sauce rather than tomato/HP/cream of mushroom soup.

#15 fifi-trixibelle

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (Goggie @ 10/02/2013, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My thought was vom vom vom as well.  sick.gif  roll2.gif

#16 Eirinn

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (ELH05 @ 10/02/2013, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was looking for a lime cheesecake and found a recipe that contained nothing much else but lime jelly crystals and cream cheese for the filling.  Let's just say it was  sick.gif  don't know why I thought it was going to work & be nice !

Yeah, I recently did an internet search for "strawberry cake" (birthday request from my preschooler. 99% of the search results are a pack of cake mix and strawberry jelly crystals. Awful.

#17 Peppery

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Grated carrot and pickled onion sandwiches - these used to be my comfort food when I was a child.

Had to be on multi grain bread

#18 Harmonica

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Friends of mine make a cheeseburger casserole...

Basically you cook mince and stir in a tin of cream of mushroom soup. Put that in a casserole dish, cover with Kraft cream cheese and place oven fries on top - bake in oven until fries are ready!'

Not my cup of tea lol

#19 Goggie

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 10/02/2013, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She used to come back and do a family roast (which was yum) but her and I have since fallen out so thankfully won't have to endure any of those meals ever again.

Well I can't cook a roast to save myself  I always stuff up the meat so she's one up on me there!!

I love to cook and am ok at it usually but as I have lots of good intolerances I substitute and experiment quite a bit - often not successfully:P my worst was probably savoury pinenut and rosemary shortbread that DH took one bite out of and spat out. I don't have an emergency recipe that I make often but I will admit adding kewpie mayo (Japanese sushi mayo) to any disasters...things are somehow more edible with it drizzled all over it.

#20 Excentrique Feral

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

what is it with the cream of mushroom soup?  sick.gif

#21 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

I made a cheese fondue once and I'm not sure how, but it turned out really, really gross. I bought all these expensive cheeses and followed a recipe to the letter, but the combination of cheese, alcohol (in the fondue) and herbs was just awful sick.gif . It smelt and tasted so bad. It was quickly renamed fon-spew and fon-don't.

#22 Who is me

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

My mum once attempted a recipe that was a stew with vegemite in it. It was vile. We ended up ordering pizza. One of our regular meals growing up was "chicken chow slop" which was left over roast chicken, whatever random vegetables we had, plus tinned bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. She would stir fry it with chicken stock cubes, ginger and soy sauce. It's actually really nice. I've made it for my Chinese dh. He didn't want to like it, but he admitted it was good!
One of my favourite dodgy meals when I am home alone is instant noodles, with peas and grated cheese mixed through. So wrong, but so right...

#23 kadoodle

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Vegemite and celery sandwiches here.

Tonight I had a serious case of the tired, so made the kids macaroni, mixed in a can of tuna, a handfull of frozen peas and some grated cheddar.  They liked it much better than the pearl qunioa with rainbow veggies I slaved over last night.

#24 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Mmmcheese @ 10/02/2013, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited for dp

This is my Dad's absolute favourite meal, preferably using the Kraft cheese in the blue cardboard packet. My Mum is a great cook but he still asks for this every couple of weeks.

#25 Snot stew

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I hate cream of mushroom soup.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.