Waiting room toys for a 2 1/2 old
What do you pack?

10 replies to this topic

#1 sotnos

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I would love some ideas of what other people pack for a their busy toddlers when they know there will be waiting times, for us in hospital waiting rooms, where the wait can be up to an hour,Thanks for any suggestions

#2 Fossy

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Plenty of drinks and snacks
books including photos (dd spends hours looking at photos!)
we have a mini etch a sketch type thing which is great
iPad with games/shows
pencils and colouring books
doll and blanket
Puzzles

We have used this in waiting rooms and planes with success! Good luck.

#3 cassoweary

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

- Those 'i spy' type books - like wheres wally but for littlies..
- Colouring in books
- books that have in-built puzzles

#4 Silver Girl

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

- Books (ones with lots of detailed pictures
- Flash cards
- A couple of Thomas trains; under chairs can be tunnels and tables or seats are bridges. You can talk about which station the train's stopping at, who's getting on & off, where they're going etc;
- Toys for role play. Eg We have a little teddy who we pretend is a mechanic fixing a Matchbox car. It takes a while to go through scenarios (changing the tyres, oil change, fix gears etc).
- Snacks!

#5 tibs

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

leappad and stickerbooks were my DD's fave at that age

#6 kpingitquiet

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Books that we keep in her backpack so she doesn't see them often. A pack of crayons and a small sketchbook. Toddler Lock on our phones, when desperate!

#7 sotnos

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the ideas, i will have to look into the leap pad i think, i know there is a lot of 2nd hand ones about.

#8 Carmen02

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

ipod has been our sanity saver lately we have alot of appointments lately and our busy DS sits still for once lol

#9 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

books and a couple of matchbox cars, or a spiderman action figure type thing

#10 noi'mnot

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Paper, crayons (washable, so if something gets drawn on then wipes will remove it!), stickers, books. A few apps on my phone for desparate situations.

We have a few toys - puzzles and such - that are kept aside for this kind of thing, so that they're a bit more special and new and exciting.

#11 Blossom73

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I second the books/toys that don't get used except for at special times (like waiting rooms!).

We have an iPad and that has helped as well. Paper/crayons and books as well.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.