What's your morning routine on school days?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 ~iMum~

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I have 2 DS's in grades 2 and 4 and am at a bit of a loss as to what to do with them on school mornings. Bags are packed, uniforms laid out, and lunches made, the night beforehand, and homework is done of an afternoon. The boys get up between 6.30 - 7.00am and we leave just after 8.30am. They get their own breakfast, brush teeth, get dressed, and then sit around watching TV or begging for iPad time. What goes on in your house? Yes, I'm after ideas :-)

#2 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

It sounds like your morning is working just fine. It doesn't sound like your kids need pushing along. What exactly do you want ideas with?

Mine is pretty similar. Kids up 6:15am (I wake them) breakfast, showers, teeth, hair, pack bags.

I make their lunches.

They usually have about 20 mins free time before we leave (7:50am) opting to play on their ipads.

#3 *LucyE*

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

My kids do their instrument practise in the morning.

I'm a no tv in the morning kinda person because I find it so distracting. I don't mind them using the iPad if they are completely ready without any 'reminding' from me.

#4 EssentialBludger

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

If I make lunch, pack her bag and iron her dress the night before I have a pretty easy morning.

I'm up at 6:15. I browse EB and FB while I have a few coffees and wake the kids by 7. DD eats breakfast while I get DS dressed, then DD gets dressed, does her hair and brushes her teeth while I make DS breakfast. Then all I have to do is get myself dressed. We're out the door by 8.

If I don't do everything the night before it's a bit busier, but still time to bum around a bit.

What do you want ideas with? Sounds like your morning works fine?

#5 AnotherFeral

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

In my house? Lots of ignoring me, lots of trying to manage three needy little people (eldest is 6) and their various moods/tantrums/protests. If everyone leaves with a clean face, clean teeth, hair brushed, dressed upstairs instead of in a panic in the car, (same goes for shoes), all bags, hats, library books etc. remembered on the appropriate day then it's an exceptionally good morning.
As for your house, it sounds amazing. I'd say they have time to do a load of washing or empty the dishwasher for you, but if I suddenly found myself in your postition I wouldn't want to jinx it!

#6 ~iMum~

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

I seem to hear a lot from other mums, and on EB, about how hectic and rushed their school mornings are and thought I must've been missing something :/

I'd like to be a no TV in the mornings house, but have no idea what else we could be doing? I like the idea of instrument practice, but I'm not a morning person and said practice could send me postal. Hmmm...thinking..lmaybe I'll implement something like 30 minutes of reading time.

#7 *LucyE*

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

I like the idea of instrument practice, but I'm not a morning person and said practice could send me postal.

I'm not a morning person either. Can't say I particularly enjoy the beginnings of violin lessons much. I do like to encourage learning, practice, sharing and all that, but I prefer instrument practise to occur in bedrooms with doors shut at the other end of the house to me.

I must have gone postal at the end of last year because when I suggested instrument practise last week, DS tried to remind me that I didn't like it, supposedly said it was too noisy and to please not do it. I don't remember but I don't remember much before my morning cuppa.

#8 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

Could you use the 'spare' time for them to do some reading or extra homework if you're not wanting them to be watching tv or using their iPads?

Or have a small chore they could complete. My kids have finally worked out that if they're ready early and get their on done they are ale to have some tv time!

#9 ziggy72

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

You are super organised. My kids are fairly reasonable in the morning and eat breakfast and get dressed mostly before watching tv. My 6 year old also unpacks the dishwasher as his chore this year which required me to rearrange the kitchen a bit to get all things stored below shelf level. If they are ready with hair, teeth face complete they can watch some tv but often prefer to be outside playing by 8am  and we leave at 8.30.

I make lunches and pack bags for them in the morning.

#10 .Jerry.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

Sounds like you have heaps of time to have a leisurely morning.

I get out of bed at 5.30am, shower, eat breakfast, quick browse of the internet.

Molly and DP get up about 6.30am, I dress Molly, get her breakfast.  I am out the door (without Molly) at 7am.  DP has coffee, looks after Molly until they leave at about 7.45am.

Molly can watch TV when she is dressed and had breakfast.  She usually prefers to play.

#11 Fr0g

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

I wake my yr 7 and yr 2 at about 7:15. They dress, eat, feed the pets, pack their bags, brush teeth and I drop them at school by 8am.

There is nothing else done. If there's a spare minute, I have them do a general tidy (put shoes etc away if laying around).

#12 Feral timtam

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

Our morning routine for the kids on kindy days is
send the kids upstairs to have breakfast with Nan (they'll actually eat it for her, they won't for me)
unstructured play and quiet reading while I pack the nappy bag
get the kids dressed
double check the kindy bag
leave the house.

My routine is
quiet coffee before the kids wake up
change nappies
pack the nappy bag
sweep floor
make dinner
check kindy bag
make myself a coffee to go
leave the house.

We're a no TV in the mornings house, I used to struggle at school on mornings Mum put the TV on so it now doesn't go on if educational activities are happening.
We also leave early so that the kids can play in the park before I drop DS1 off.

#13 2bundles

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Some outside play?  Trampoline is great. Go for a walk to the park?

#14 liveworkplay

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

As for your house, it sounds amazing. I'd say they have time to do a load of washing or empty the dishwasher for you, but if I suddenly found myself in your postition I wouldn't want to jinx it!

laughing2.gif

I have a 6, 9 and 3 year old. I have to drag them out of bed at 630 and we have to leave by 715am. It is one mass of noisy caos in our house and I hate it. We ban the TV in the mornings as well as iPods until  (if!) everything is done and they are ready to walk out the door.....which isn't very often.

(ETA: and in case anyone is astute enough to wonder "why the hell is she on EB at 830am on a school day morning? well its a public holiday here Tounge1.gif)

Edited by liveworkplay, 11 February 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#15 qak

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (liveworkplay @ 11/02/2013, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its a public holiday here Tounge1.gif)

Where???

#16 liveworkplay

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (qak @ 11/02/2013, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where???

Southern Tasmania. Its a strange day where anyone within about a 100km radius of Hobart gets a "Regatta Day" Holiday. Everyone past 100km north of Hobart gets one later on in the year (Recreation Day, becasue there is no excuse for one, they just didn't want to  miss out laughing2.gif)

Edited by liveworkplay, 11 February 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#17 ~Supernova~

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

9 times out of 10 our mornings are cruisy and relaxing. I'm currently sitting outside having my 3rd coffee while the kids play.

I bake for the week and iron all uniforms on sunday, which helps immensely. Then it's just a matter of throwing pre-made stuff in lunch boxes, doing hair and teeth, and we're done.

It used to be hectic and stressful prior to me being organised, particularly when DS still needed an early morning nap, but with the system we have going now it's great.

Another thing which has saved my sanity and stress levels is giving up on getting DD to brush her own hair. It gets very knotty and I used to harrass her constantly. Now I get her to start it while I feed DS, then finish it off for her.

#18 treetree

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Ours are insane, and there is no time left over at all. Someone has always missed their teeth, or hair, or breakfast. Sometimes we leave and have to come back because someone has forgotten their entire bag. And half the time the babies aren't even dressed yet.

Someone always whinges because they can't use the bathroom. Six kids and one bathroom does not a peaceful morning make!

If anyone is ready with time to spare they go to their room to read so they are out of the way of others and can't be accused of 'distracting' Games, TV, iPad, etc are not on at all in the morning here. Someone who isn't ready (namely Miss 7) will get too distracted and not get ready.

Sounds like you have a pretty good morning to me!

#19 ChunkyChook

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Most if not all mornings include a screaming match, DD refusing to get out of bed, DD telling me that she hates me, me making lunches, DD refusing to get dressed and threatening to move out.

I hate school mornings very very much. Much prefer school holidays.

Edited by ChunkyChook, 11 February 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#20 EBeditor

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

It sounds like a good routine. Ours is similar. Maybe they could make their own lunch in the morning? Or do some chores like unpacking/stacking the dishwasher etc. My DS is allowed to play or watch TV for 30 mins in the morning if completely ready for school.

My routine also includes a 30 minute tantrum from miss 3 about what she is going to wear to pre-school that day.

#21 emma_jean

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Sadly, mine is closer to Chunky Chook's! original.gif

#22 Kay1

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

My two boys generally get their own breakfast, get dressed, brush teeth, pack their lunches into their bags, DS1 has to check that he has what he needs that day.

Then they get to watch tv once they are dressed and ready to walk out the door. I have tried no tv in the mornings and they just drive me crazy while I am trying to make lunches, clean up etc. Sometimes they play outside in the morning but not that often because I don't like leaving them outside while I go upstairs to get myself ready.

The tv used to be a real problem as it was so hard to get them to turn it off when it was time to go but now they know they have to turn it off the MINUTE I say its time to go and then we are all in the car.

#23 Gloriana

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Ours is this.
7am wake
DD has breakfast while we have a shower and get dressed.
Then DD has a shower and dress while we have breakfast and a coffee.
DD does her hair and brushes her teeth.
Make lunch and pack bag.
DH leave for work at 8am. DD watches tv for 20 mins, while I FB or EB, then off to school.
No rushing here and it's great.

#24 BadCat

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Wake the kids at 7am.

They sort themselves out.
I give them a nudge to keep them moving every so often.
I remind them of stuff they may have forgotten.
I drop them at school by 8.30.
I come home.

They've been capable of doing all the morning stuff for themselves since they were 5 or 6.  They know what's required. I don't feel the need to do it for them.

Edited by O TheHugeManatee, 11 February 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#25 Freddie'sMum

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

What time do your kids have to be at school OP ??

If you leave at 8.30am - is school literally 5 minutes away ??

Two mornings a week are like this:
Alarms go off at 7am
Children get out of bed
Go to the loo, wash hands and face
Eat breakfast in their PJs
Brush teeth
Put on school uniforms
Brush hair

- during all of this I am making lunches, eating my own breakfast, and looking at our family calendar that is on the fridge which has a list of what they are doing on which day - eg library bag, sports day, etc etc

Me - get dressed
And then bags packed and everyone out the door by 8.10am

Three mornings a week is like this:
Alarms go off at 6am
Children are dragged out of bed
Beraggled children are sent to the loo, wash hands and faces
Eat breakfast - still half asleep
Brush teeth
Get into uniform
Get yelled at by DH & I because we have to leave by 7am
Pack bags (I make lunches the night before)
Rush, rush, rush as everyone leaves by 7am

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.