Amity Dry: Parenting is harder than The Block

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EBeditor

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Posted on behalf of Amity.

--------------------------------------
I’m going to let you in on a little secret: The Block All Stars was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, mentally, physically and emotionally. It pushed me to my limits, frustrated me, challenged me and exhausted me.

But it was still easier than motherhood.

That was the realisation I came to just three days after returning home from the epic renovation process, when I was thrust back into the small but relentless production that is day-to-day family life. As I fell back into the routine of grocery shopping, clothes washing, toddler tantrums, dinner, bath and bedtime, it dawned on me that there’s nothing more all-consuming and relentless as raising kids. Not even The Block. There’s nothing that tests your marriage or your sanity as much, nothing as completely wearying yet ultimately rewarding, as parenthood.

Here are just a few reasons why:

1. Painting is boring, yet quite relaxing
Almost every night on The Block was spent with a paintbrush in hand, a tedious and messy job we toiled through for hours on end. Yet compared to the nightly struggle of dinner, bath, homework and the never-ending battle to get my kids to sleep, it was actually quite relaxing. No one needed anything from me, no one whined at me (well, Phil did whine a bit) and no one interrupted what I was doing. I put the radio on, got into a rhythm, and in a strange way enjoyed the calm of it all.

2. No nighttime waking
Granted, there wasn’t a lot of sleep doing The Block All Stars. In fact, some nights before room reveal we would get less than an hour of sleep (probably a good reason why couples end up losing their minds at each other). But I may have been the only person there who found most nights easier than my normal life, for one simple reason: once I lay my weary body down and went to sleep, I STAYED THERE! There was no getting up to replace dummies, pat backs or get drinks of water. No little person finding their way into my bed in the middle of the night, and no toddler kicking me in the stomach (because they always sleep horizontally). No, once I was finally asleep I slept like I was in a coma. And it was AWESOME.

3. Focusing on only one thing
Yes, the project management of a house rebuild takes a huge amount of thought and effort, and I had to juggle a lot of issues. But I never had to interrupt that train of thought with any of the following: school pick-up, buying milk, changing a nappy, making someone lunch, getting someone to bed, and so on. I’d forgotten what it was like to focus on only one thing at a time for a whole day at a time, because until then I hadn’t done so for six years.

4. Time as a couple
Until we did The Block All Stars my husband and I had only enjoyed two nights alone together in six years. In a way, this was somewhat of a romantic holiday … well, without any romance whatsoever. But it was kind of nice to have time together again, to finish a sentence or have a conversation that doesn’t involve a negotiation (read: argument) about who’s going to pick the kids up, make dinner, do the dishes, get up in the night, be the designated driver, put the washing out, etc. Family life is full of endless tasks that on their own are small, but combined together are exhausting in their tedium. So even when we were shoveling bricks and sanding walls, just to escape the monotony of domestic chores felt like a holiday.

5. Recognition of effort
The best part of each week on The Block was the feeling we’d get when a room was done and the judges would give us feedback – particularly when it was good. This reward for effort is something that’s severely lacking in parenthood. It’s just one long effort, in which you’re trying your absolute hardest to do a good job, with the hope that when your kids are adults they’ll turn out okay and maybe even thank you one day. Basically we’re looking at 25 years between reveals. There’s no congratulations and pats on the back for a successful week, and certainly no cash bonus when you’ve done a particularly good job. I feel this should be rectified immediately and am considering which parenting experts to appoint on my judging panel.

So parents out there, remember this: we are truly doing the hardest job in the world, the one that has no reward but the smiles on our precious children’s faces, and the knowledge that their happiness is the greatest reward there is. But let’s admit, it’s bloody hard work.

And to those of you who are raising a family while living through a house renovation at the same time - take a bow. You are the all stars!

#2 jm3

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

I didn't have an opinion about Amity prior to The Block All Stars.  I hated the shabby chic thing so I guess I wasn't that into her.  I read her posts on EB over the years and thought she sounded like my kind of person and now watching her and Phil on The Block I've decided that I LOVE her!  She is just so damn normal! original.gif

#3 *~dee~*

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Loved you and Phil on The Block! So glad you won, you guys deserved it.

#4 Poss and Soss

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Had no idea Amity was on here.

So glad you guys won. Love your style original.gif

#5 AryaStar

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

Great article Amity. Congratulations on your well-deserved win, the amazing work you guys did and the dignity with which you played the game.

#6 KirstenMc

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I didn't see The Block, but everything you said makes sense. Especially sleeping with no interruptions! Bliss! I get that quite a lot now, with my youngest being 3 and my husband now doing most of the night wakings with her. But, the years of going to sleep knowing you would have to wake up again soon - oh yes, they left a scar!

Congrats on winning the block. may you have an actual romantic weekend away sometime soon (and me too original.gif )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.