cut the age pension?

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 Feralishous

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

a comment on social media got me thinking.
in response to cutting parenting payments and family tax, since having children is a choice, a person posted : 'by the same logic we should cut the age pension (not disability or carers) as its a choice to retire, people should save enough money before they chose to retire, so that they aren't a drain on society'
I thought that it was a really good point. If having children is a choice, and something that shouldn't be supported by our tax dollars, is retirement also a choice that should be self funded?
after all, children are future tax payers, whereas retirees won't be contributing to govt funds again.

(disclaimer: I'm a commie and don't support any cuts to social welfare)

#2 cira

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Has the magical elixir of youth been found?

Aged people will always reach a point when they are unable to work.

#3 Starrydawn

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Ridiculous and anyone who thinks it is a good idea is a halfwit.

#4 TurtleTamer

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

No, it's not always a choice. Sometimes you just can't manage anymore when you get older without necessarily being 'disabled'.

And the reality is that as people get older it is increasingly difficult to find work.  If you're going to have a huge portion of older people on the dole you are going to face huge issues with housing and various other things.  As it is the pension is low, and they expect you to own a house by pension age.  Not everyone does and this is also going to get worse as the cost of living is forcing so many out of the housing market.  It would cost the government more to deal with the consequences of cutting it than it would to leave it there.

And I don't think it's fair that someone who was lucky enough to land a cushy high paying job can retire at 55 while the person who slaved it day in and day out has to work until he dies at 85.  Yeah this still happens but to a much smaller degree.

#5 Wigglemama

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

It's an awful idea. And if you came to visit any geriatric, medical or orthopaedic ward of any hospital, you would see why retiring as you get older is not always "a choice". We will get old too one day.

#6 Oriental lily

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

I think it should just morph in to the disability pension.

To old and infirm to work?

Well it's a disability then.

However I know many fit and healthy 65 year old plus people who are very capable of working.

So why shouldn't they?

#7 Starrydawn

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 11/02/2013, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

However I know many fit and healthy 65 year old plus people who are very capable of working.

So why shouldn't they?

They can if they want. But  seriously you think all the elderly should be forced to keep working till they what die?

You are obviously young.

#8 FeralEsme

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

What a stupid idea.

Everyone gets to a point where they can no longer work.
People in low paid jobs can't simply 'save for their future.' All their money is tied up in, you know, living day to day.
These days the aged pension is often a supplement to people's compulsory superannuation, and there are many self-funded retirees out there already, but I would never, ever want to see the aged pension go. It is a safety net. It is also a freaking pittance and people struggle to survive on it, but if they didn't have that where would they be? Living on the street?

Short sighted and narrow minded and totally lacking in compassion.

It is a far cry from deciding to bring another life into the world and then expect someone else to pay for it, as opposed to getting to the end of your life and needing help (probably for most people after being a productive member of society).

#9 Oriental lily

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I am 36, hardly young lol.

No modern medicine and technology has evolved so that many people can work to some capacity way pass the tradtional age of retirement.

So why shoudint they?

Age is not a disability! It's only a number.

If you have an age related illness then you will go on disability.
Simple as that.

#10 jojonbeanie

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

So why shouldn't they?

Too old and infirm for what kind of work? Digging ditches like my father did or sitting in an air-conditioned office at home talking to students via email like myself?

#11 jojonbeanie

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

So why shouldn't they?

Too old and infirm for what kind of work? Digging ditches like my father did or sitting in an air-conditioned office at home talking to students via email like myself?

#12 BadCat

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

My father didn't choose to retire.  He lost his livelihood when some moron ran a stop sign and totalled his truck leaving him with a half dozen broken ribs along with sundry other injuries.  He took long months to heal during which most of his customers were forced through necessity to seek someone else to fill the void.  As a consequence, not only did he lose his livelihood, his business lost most of it's value and sold for a pittance purely for the goodwill of the name.

He was able to work again after 8 months but would not have been able to do his old job.  And who was going to employ an unskilled guy in his mid 60s?  Nobody, that's who.

He worked long and hard in ordinary jobs to put food on our table but there was never much money to spare for savings.  There was no such thing as compulsory superannuation when he was young enough fo it to make a difference either.

There are many people out there with their own stories of bad luck, ill health, unfortunate investment, etc who rely on the age pension to keep them going.  To cut that pension would be a crime.

#13 Oriental lily

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Well the aging process is not just physical. Mental faculties will decline as well.
So if you can not physically work then a sedatary job is still an option.

Everyone ages differently and has different skills. Assessments done similar to getting the disability pension now would be needed to asses if a person is suitable for retirement on to a pension.

I really don't understand why it's such a shocking idea to everyone!

More than 50 percent of my parents friends are still working. Some in there 70s.

Edited by Oriental lily, 11 February 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#14 Feral Mozzie

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Regardless of whether I agree with it or not, I think the reality is that the age pension won't exist in its current form when Gen X and Y hit retirement. Anyone not planning for that eventuality is going to struggle IMO.

#15 PrincessPeach

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Mozzie1 @ 11/02/2013, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regardless of whether I agree with it or not, I think the reality is that the age pension won't exist in its current form when Gen X and Y hit retirement. Anyone not planning for that eventuality is going to struggle IMO.

I second this.

I've also heard this statement from a few too many people who work in various parts of the finance industry.

#16 Julie3Girls

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

If you have an age related illness then you will go on disability.
Simple as that.

Old age doesn't mean you have to have an illness. The conditions to get onto disability are pretty strict these days, I doubt "old age" would get you on it.  

I'd much rather have the elderly get a pension, and free up jobs for younger unemployed people.

As it is, the age of retirement has increased in recent years. You have to older now to get access to your super than what you used to be.

#17 Oriental lily

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

O huge manatee my dad has a very similar story to yours.

Difference however that the work accident happened when he was in his early 40s.

He has never worked again due to horrific spinal injuries and been on a disability pension since.

He thought it was little bit funny when last year he got a letter from centerlink saying if he wanted to swap to the age pension.

Which is basically identical.

Edited by Oriental lily, 11 February 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#18 FiveAus

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

The retirement age is no longer 65, and anyone born after about 1958 will find they have to be over 65 (depending on the year of birth) to qualify for the age pension.

No, the pension shouldn't be cut. It's an awful idea. But then maybe the person who suggested it would be happy to support their parents or grandparents (or in laws), when they are no longer capable of supporting themselves due to old age.
And have them move into their home, seeing as they'll no longer be able to afford the maintenance and upkeep of their own home.

#19 **BOOM**

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

what a load of.....

Some people have absolutely no idea.

#20 jojonbeanie

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 11/02/2013, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the aging process is not just physical. Mental faculties will decline as well.
So if you can not physically work then a sedatary job is still an option.

Everyone ages differently and has different skills. Assessments done similar to getting the disability pension now would be needed to asses if a person is suitable for retirement on to a pension.

I really don't understand why it's such a shocking idea to everyone!

More than 50 percent of my parents friends are still working. Some in there 70s.

It's not shocking to think that some people will work after the retirement age of 68. It's just impractical to think that all people will be able to. There is a whole world of things to consider like the availability of work, transport, housing and retraining.

The government is trying to encourage more people to work longer by having raised the retirement age and encouraging older people to manage their superannuation so that they work part time at the end of their career. But you are not going to get most people being able to work full time forever.

#21 Oriental lily

Fiveaus then they will go on the disability pension!

No one suggested cutting pensions for anyone who could not physically or mentally work!

#22 FiveAus

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 11/02/2013, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Difference however that the work accident happened when he was in his early 40s.

He has never worked again due to horrific spinal injuries and been on a disability pension since.

He thought it was little bit funny when last year he got a letter from centerlink saying if he wanted to swap to the age pension.

It's an identical amount of money per fortnight, but it's not an identical payment, and the eligibility criteria is very different. The aged pension has very different rules for assets, and if he has any investments, savings or super, he'd be silly not to explore moving onto the aged pension.

#23 Raisinette

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Ok so all these people continues working until they no longer can physically or mentally.

Where are all these jobs coming from?  Do we then just increase the amount of people on unemployment benefits.

Wow your idea sounds great.

#24 jojonbeanie

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 11/02/2013, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why didn't your Dad get one of these sedentary jobs you seem to think are going to be the answer?

#25 Oriental lily

Nah he has not been able to work for over 25 years.

All that went along time ago. As did my mums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.