We are 2 adults, and 3 children (9, 7 and 4/5 depending on when we go).
We don't mind a bit of luxury , but what I really want from the trip is:
- great snorkelling within easy access from our accommodation (or a short boatride away).
- beachfront location.
- 2 bedrooms (one for us, and one for the kids).
- our kids love wildlife, and bushy settings.
- some kids activities would be good.
- DH needs a TV, and preferably Foxtel.
- budget-priced e.g. $300 or less per night.
My kids would dearly love to see the Great Barrier Reef - snorkelling, seeing colourful coral, fish etc. They love anything to do with nature, animals etc. We holidayed last year on South Stradbroke and it was amazing - bush setting, bike tracks etc. We scored an amazing deal - $600 for 7 nights. This time I want to go further north and get in the water and see some colour. I know we'll have to pay a LOT more.
The kids "ranger clubs/activities" sound amazing on Heron Island and Lady Elliot, but the accommodation prices that I have come across are horrendous.
Does anyone have any ideas on great snorkelling family holidays that aren't crazy expensive? We are in northern NSW, and would probably be either flying out of the Gold Coast or Brisbane airport, or driving if it's the southern part of the GBR. I would consider going flying further north if I could get a good deal for the winter school holidays.
Edited by katbalou, 11 February 2013 - 05:40 PM.