Multiple School Moves? 5 schools in 6 years...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TreeChange?

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

Okay, as per my other thread, we are seriously considering a Tree Change which will result in little or no mortgage.

One massive consideration is that DD will obviously need to move school. Due to changes in housing and other circumstances, she has already had a great deal of school changes.

DD started her schooling in The Pilbara, then moved to a school in Perth Northern suburbs, then did a short stint in a different school when we moved, but we then moved her back to her previous school for academic reasons.

Then, we moved South of the River, putting her in one school which was not a good school, before moving her to her current school. I know it sounds crazy, because it has been. Surprisingly, DD is pretty cruisy about all of this. We swore we would never mover her school again.

To summarise...
School 1 - 2 years
School 2 - 1 year
School 3 - 8 weeks
Back to School 2 for nearly 2 years
School 4 - 8 weeks
School 5 - The last 5 weeks of term last year and has just started this year.

Each move I have agonised over, included consulting her teachers and DD herself, before making any move. I honestly didn't think we would be in this position again, so soon after moving.

DD has actually said she really wants to move to the country and can't wait to start country life. I thought, wow, that is great! But, should this be enough? What long term ramifications can multiple school moves have?

I won't and can't consider this any further if it is going to have a detrimental affect on her, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Giltine

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Is your DD in primary school or high school?

From personal experience, growing up and moving school a lot wasn't that big of a deal. The first few days are scary (especially mid year when people already know everyone) but you find your groove soon enough and it's fine.
For primary school that is (I went to about 10 from memory being from an army family). High school was a bit more difficult (mainly year 11) because of the workload that needs to be caught up on.

#3 mumto4boys

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

OP, I am a teacher but as a child I went to 14 schools.

I was outgoing and I don't think that 14 schools really affected me all that much. That said, schooling also wasn't exactly mum's top priority.

While making friends was never an issue, I have no actual 'school friends' as we were never really in one place long enough.

On the other hand, my own children have all been to a P-12 school with DS4 in his final year there. I may not have had that sense of continuity myself but I obviously wanted it for my own children.

Look, 5 school in 6 years really isn't ideal but life happens. If in the long run it is going to be good for your family, then I say go for it. Involve your DD in what is happening so she is prepared for the move and fingers crossed that it will be her last school change.

#4 Magnus

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

I went to a lot of different schools (9) and it was tough.

But I think a lot depends on her personality too. If she really doesn't mind it probably isn't such a big issue.

I was painfully shy, so I think that's why moving schools was hard for me.

I suppose it depends a lot on how easily she makes friends.

On the other hand, I didn't find catching up with schoolwork too difficult.  It would obviously be harder if your daughter has some learning difficulties or finds it hard to catch up with the schoolwork, but from what you've said it doesn't sound like this is the case.

ETA: I would really examine your motivation for moving (it sounds like you are). I think my family just got a bit addicted to moving and living in a new house every year probably affected me more than changing schools frequently did. I think moving regularly can be an easy habit to get into and there are always reasons to justify it. I am only just breaking out of this pattern in my late twenties.

Edited by Magnus, 11 February 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#5 TreeChange?

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Thanks so much for the replies, I could see me getting no sleep worrying about this tonight!

DD is currently in Year 4, so all of these changes have happened in lower Primary. Each time she has fitted in really well. The only one she struggled with is this last move, but she said it was due to the sheer size of the school. She has always been in schools with 200-400 students, whereas she currently attends a school with 1200 students. Within two weeks, she had made friends and all was great.

She is a friendly, outgoing, caring kid, who other girls are often drawn too.

She is really bright, and was actually grade skipped in Year 1. However, we made the decision at the end of last year to put her back with her age group for this year. Academically, she was doing really well, but the social gap was widening with the age difference. With this last change of school, they said they do not allow grade skipping and assured me she would be extended so would not suffer academically, and would benefit from being with kids her own age again.

So if anything, academically, the move will be easy as she has already done this school year in her previous school.

The school has PEAC, so she will definitely not be disadvantaged there either.

I just worry about the constant chopping and changing of schools.

Should I just let her lead this and if she says she is excited as she is saying, just go with it? I actually think if I now said no, we are staying put, that would disappoint her more!

#6 TreeChange?

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Magnus, your edit makes sense too. I have always suffered from itchy feet and have moved house a total of 27 times.
This would definitely be the shortest time we have stayed in a house before moving again, and if I look back, the longest times I ever lived in an area, was when I was living in a rural setting. I would love to say this will be our last move and I honestly hope it is, but I have said that before and had to eat my words!

Edited by TreeChange?, 11 February 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#7 Funwith3

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

Wow...I went to one primary school and two high schools. I will always remember that first day of moving high schools - I can remember how petrified I was.

I think if your family wants to do the move, then do it. But look at it as a long term move so that you can all start gaining some good long term friendships and also a sense of community.

#8 minimae

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (mumto4boys @ 11/02/2013, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While making friends was never an issue, I have no actual 'school friends' as we were never really in one place long enough.

This is me in a nutshell, I moved schools and countries constantly as a child (4 primary schools, 5 highschools) and it never really bothered me. In some ways I think it taught me good interpersonal skills and I'm pretty easy going now about meeting new people, starting new jobs etc.

However as I get older, I do feel sad that I don't have any of the long term childhood friends that my partner has. I also don't have a traditional sense of 'home', as in a place which I identify with as my hometown. I also agree with Magnus, in that I suffer badly from itchy feet syndrome! I get restless after being in one place for a couple of years, and do struggle to maintain long term friendships.

#9 Lausii

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

My father was in law enforcement growing up and we moved almost every year. Right up until year 12.

I never had problems making friends, I still have one very good friend from High School that we still keep in touch.

This is me in a nutshell, I moved schools and countries constantly as a child (4 primary schools, 5 highschools) and it never really bothered me. In some ways I think it taught me good interpersonal skills and I'm pretty easy going now about meeting new people, starting new jobs etc.

Yep, me too.  original.gif

#10 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

I went to 3 primary schools and 3 high schools (basically moved every 2-3 years on average).  It was fine and I have never perceived it to be a hassle or a detriment to my life. While I don't have friends from primary school, I still keep in contact with friends from my last 2 high schools, although they aren't my closest life friends, IYKWIM.

OP - if your child has adapted well so far for each school change and she is keen for the move, I wouldn't be using that as a reason not to move.  It sounds like she would be fine.  But if you keep changing her school every year until she finishes Grade 12, yeah, that might not be ideal.

#11 Phascogale

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

With your scenario I wouldn't hesitate to move.

Your child is fine with it and she's shown that she copes well with it.

As long as there is a school she fits into at the new place then I'd go.  I take it there will be more than one option if the school you move to doesn't work?

#12 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

I would say move again but only if you are certain that this will be your last move for 10 years.

#13 Cheryl_v

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I would do it.  We're Defence so our kids have moved schools a few times, roughly every 2 years or so, and they haven't really had any issues with it.  People have mentioned to me how resilient and friendly my children are and I think it's at least partly because they've had to learn strategies for making new friends on a regular basis.

In your case since it's all within the same state at least you don't have the problem of hugely different curriculae.  The only thing I would say is that moving in high school can make life more difficult due to elective classes being set before you enrol which means your child gets put into whichever electives have empty spots and fit around the core subjects but that's definitely not a problem for Year 4.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.