Kid-free zones on planes?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 EBKatie

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

AirAsia has brought in kid-free zones on their planes due to frustration over screaming children. What do you think? Bad idea or a good idea? If people are willing to pay more for a child-free area at least it would minimise the angry glares thrown our way. Let us know your thoughts.

Kid-free zones on planes

#2 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

I have a kid and I love the idea, people who are annoyed by kids can sit away from them and families can sit near one another and hopefully be supportive and understanding if some kids are not coping well with the flight.

Edited by sparkler, 12 February 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#3 MAGS24

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

I think it's an excellent idea. Especially if the Airlines are able to make the child friendly area a place where there is enough for very young kids and babies to be more comfortable. I found it difficult flying with a baby and a two year old because there wasn't enough room in area where we were sitting and the two years old kept getting up and jumping around all the time due to boredom.

It depends how they go about it. It could work out really well or not at all.

#4 AngryBird

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Are parents allowed to book their kids into the regular seating and then book their own ticket in the child-free area and pretend they don't have kids for the duration of the flight? I'd like to travel like that!

#5 liveworkplay

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

When they create a special space for me that excludes overweight, smelly middle aged business men who want to read a newspaper fully opened and promptly then falls asleep snoring, I will be happy with their kids free section.

Honestly, what is herding everyone in to one section at the front going to do? Its not like they have the "cone of silence"

My kids are quiet travelers. But for noisy kids, well that's what iPods were invented for.

#6 Peppery

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (AfroCircus @ 12/02/2013, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are parents allowed to book their kids into the regular seating and then book their own ticket in the child-free area and pretend they don't have kids for the duration of the flight? I'd like to travel like that!

i was thinking the same  ph34r.gif

#7 saxa

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Don't see the point really.

They will still be heard if they are screaming or whatever.

It's like years ago when they used to have smoking and non smoking, unlucky if you were in the non smoking row directly behind the last row of smoking!

#8 GamerMum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

I agree with liveworkplay. Why should children be secluded just because they can be annoying? There are a generally annoying people on flights. You can't tell the larger people to move because they take up more room, you can't tell the people that snore to go somewhere else. You can't tell the woman that takes EVERYTHING out of her bag just before landing so it takes half an hour for her to put it all back in and you have to stand and wait.. to go somewhere else and do that. Put a bunch of strangers in a metal capsule where no one has room to move, and there is going to be someone who annoys you. This is expected of flights.

It's only a flight, it's not the rest of your life. Just suck it up.

#9 cinnabubble

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

They should spin it as as extra family friendly zones. That would make more sense.

#10 Cranky Kitten

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

I think they'd be better off marketing it as having a "family friendly" area as well as a "quiet zone" - and having the family area with a little space at the back to stretch legs etc. Flights are boring as bat-poo generally and hence kids get rowdy after the bazillionth hour sitting in a small seat without being allowed to get up and walk around.

#11 RichardParker

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (saxa @ 12/02/2013, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't see the point really.

They will still be heard if they are screaming or whatever.

It's like years ago when they used to have smoking and non smoking, unlucky if you were in the non smoking row directly behind the last row of smoking!

Interesting thing I learned from QI is that when smoking was permitted on planes, the air was actually much cleaner because they used to crank up the filters and air conditioners.  Once they banned smoking, the air filtering system (which requires a fair bit of fuel to run, and fuel is expensive) was turned down to save money and so the air in the cabin is actually much less fresh now than it used to be.

#12 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Exclusion based on age, gender, race- all awesome ideas. Maybe it could be extended to kid-free zones on buses, trains, shopping malls....

It's a dumb idea, designed to skim yet more money off people.

#13 countrylivingmum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

I don't see a problem with it if ppl want to pay the extra to not have to sit near what could be a noisy child let them dosnt bother me in the slightest.

#14 saxa

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

was turned down to save money and so the air in the cabin is actually much less fresh now than it used to be.

I prefer a bit less fresh than having to smell stinking cigarettes original.gif

#15 steppy

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Great idea. I'd definitely pay more to avoid kids on long haul flights. Don't really care on shorter flights.

#16 amabanana

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (AfroCircus @ 12/02/2013, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too.  ph34r.gif

#17 darcswan

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I'm a frequent traveller and I've never sat next to an overweight, smelly, snoring, drunk, etc adult.  A tall guy once had his knee crossing into my zone, but I don't take up the whole seat anyway.  And I've had a guy keep ramming his seat back during meal time.  But thats it.

Have sat next to screaming toddlers though.  And children who have poked at my eyes when I'm sleeping, run up and down aisles, kicked seats, sang the same 3 notes for 3 hours (in fairness, this seemed like it might have been stimming), smelly nappies  etc.

I don't blame kids - long haul flights make me want to scream too.  Doesn't mean I want to sit next to them though original.gif  I'd pay extra to be assured of being seated away from 'the family zone'.

My noise cancelling headphones, eye mask and soothing tunes will continue to maintain my sanity while in the air.

#18 sammyv

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Last time I flew Virgin Domestic they stuck all the families at the back of the plane - so unofficially did this.

I only care about other peoples children when they ignore them on a plane.  Flying up to Hawaii two years ago there was a child who cried most of the way up, the parents didn't do anything to calm the child - they just stuck in their earplugs and ignored them. (So did I).

Edited by sammyv, 12 February 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#19 Maple Leaf

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

It's a good idea. Just like kid free restaurants or areas where it's kid free.

I would love that when travelling without my children. original.gif

It isn't so much avoiding the children, but moreso the parents that do nothing when their child is crying/upset/bored.

I don't know if I would pay extra for it, depends on how much it is I suppose!

#20 BadCat

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yeah great idea.  God forbid anyone should have to deal with the young of their species.  Inevitably we will all travel in individual soundproof cubicles so that all those selfish gits who can't bear to be reminded that there are other people in the world, some of them young, will be happy.

#21 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (AfroCircus @ 12/02/2013, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My first thought lol  ph34r.gif

But seriously, stupid idea whats next kid free buses and trains?
Bet it makes some extra cash for Mr BigBoss of airline to play with this year though.

#22 Frockme

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

kid free as in what age? I think kids over 8 are usually OK. & if they prove otherwise there should be a goal on-board to lock them in.  original.gif

#23 Niamh23

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Of the 1000 respondents to the survey, 74 per cent said children was the biggest issue

Despite what some people are saying here, noisy kids are obviously the biggest problem for most people on planes. I think a kid-free section is a great idea.

#24 steppy

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Yep. If I was a parent of young children it would SUCK though. Imagine being stuck in the family friendly area. Nightmare.

They kind of do this already anyway really. You generally find heaps of kids in the middle to back section and hardly any up front.

Edited by steppy, 12 February 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#25 Niamh23

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (steppy @ 12/02/2013, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They kind of do this already anyway really. You generally find heaps of kids in the middle to back section and hardly any up front.

This is really annoying if you're travelling on your own...on flights that don't have seat selection, I seem to always get stuck up the back with the kids!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.