Melbourne mum jailed for baby car death

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 jules095

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

A Melbourne mother who killed her baby girl by leaving her in a hot car will spend nine months in jail before being eligible for parole

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/0...-baby-car-death

#2 HurryUpAlready

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Good.

She had been warned it was a dangerous thing to do yet she continued to leave the baby in the car and the poor little thing died as a result.

Stupid Stupid Stupid

#3 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'm not a pro-gaol person however I can see the merit in sending a strong message to other people who leave kids in cars for no reason other than they can't be a*sed getting them out.

I am really strongly against leaving kids in cars for any length of time and any reason though so that probably colours my opinion.

That poor, poor child sad.gif

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

I feel for the mother and most likely she will blame herself foreer. She was deliberately negligent but she would never have meant to kill her daughter.

I can't imagine being young with 2 small kids , no support and desperately doing anything to get the child to sleep. But she shouldn't have left her in the hot car.

I think the jail term is sufficient given the circumstances.

#5 Feral_Pooks

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

The system failed that baby by leaving her in her mother's care and that's all I have to say about that.

#6 Froger

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

From reading the article it appears that at the time the mother was homeless and was living in her car? Although I don't quite get it - it seems confusing. But say she was living in the car, which it appears she may have been - then where else would you suggest she leave her children? By the side of the road? It seems there was quite literally no safer place she could leave them than in the car.

Anyway, by the sound of it what she neeeded was help, and a long time ago. Too late now to be gaoling her after it appears she was repeatedly failed by everyone.

Edited by SarahM72, 12 February 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#7 Lainskii

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_fembo @ 12/02/2013, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The system failed that baby by leaving her in her mother's care and that's all I have to say about that.

Just interested in ehat 'system' failed? She was repeatedly warned not to do it, regardless of anything else, it is her direct fault that this happened to her daughter, no one else's. Her upbringing and no support to me make no difference in this situation, there is a difference between an accident and sheer negligence. That poor poor child. There was an article not that long ago about parents who forgot their child was in the car and the description of what happens to kids left in a hot car is horrendous. For it to happen after someone had been warned about the dangers is just mind blowing.

#8 amabanana

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

No wins in this situation.  How sad.

#9 Lainskii

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 12/02/2013, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From reading the article it appears that at the time the mother was homeless and was living in her car? Although I don't quite get it - it seems confusing. But say she was living in the car, which it appears she may have been - then where else would you suggest she leave her children? By the side of the road? It seems there was quite literally no safer place she could leave them than in the car.

Anyway, by the sound of it what she neeeded was help, and a long time ago. Too late now to be gaoling her after it appears she was repeatedly failed by everyone.

The article says that the day before the baby died a neighbour heard the baby crying in the car so knocked on the front or, this to me indicates that she was living somewhere.

#10 Still-here!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

It seems she was staying at a friends' place and was inside that house with older sibling.

Thing is, she had been warned many times beforehand, what did she expect would happen if she kept doing it?

Re: the failing system, she was an otherwise caring mum and how would this then become the system's failing?? How about peoples own responsibilities?

#11 ~sydblue~

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 12/02/2013, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Lainskii @ 12/02/2013, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The article says that the day before the baby died a neighbour heard the baby crying in the car so knocked on the front or, this to me indicates that she was living somewhere.

The story also says.
The court heard Nguyen was a 20-year-old raising two young children alone with no support and without stable accommodation, who had had to live in her car for a few days before the death.

So yes there is more to this story than just a mother who left her child in the car because she felt like it. In saying that, I agree that the jail sentence is the best outcome. Maybe she will get herself back on track.

#12 mewsings

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Dinosaurus @ 12/02/2013, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not a pro-gaol person however I can see the merit in sending a strong message to other people who leave kids in cars for no reason other than they can't be a*sed getting them out.

QUOTE (Lainskii @ 12/02/2013, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just interested in ehat 'system' failed? She was repeatedly warned not to do it, regardless of anything else, it is her direct fault that this happened to her daughter, no one else's. Her upbringing and no support to me make no difference in this situation, there is a difference between an accident and sheer negligence. That poor poor child.

My first reaction was this ^

My second is,  if she had been homeless and was living in her car before her child died,  maybe she didn't heed the warnings because her experience was that the car was a safe place to sleep, for her and the kids.  If she'd done it a number of times with no negative consequences before, no amount of naysaying would necessarily change her mind.

Doesn't excuse her actions,  but might go some way to explaining her thought process.  I hope her remaining kids are somewhere safe now.

#13 Oriental lily

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

That article also does not mention that she lied to the paramedics and said her baby was found like that in her crib. It was only when they mentioned that her babies body temp was 41.5 that she confessed to falling asleep on the couch with her baby in the car.

Lying to paramedics who need ALL facts to treat someone effectively but her being to concerned about her sorry own a*se will not look favouribly for her.
Also shows she knew she was in all sorts if trouble so could not plead ignorance.

Considering all the circumstances then I think some gaol time is warranted.

I am sure however the part she played in her daughters death will haunt her forever. Much bigger punishment than a token gaol term.

#14 WinterIsComing

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

I agree 1000%. What is a sometimes homeless multiple drug addict doing raising two young children? F**** this s*** makes me so angry. Yeah, yeah, she needed support, but first and foremost her children needed SOMEONE to protect them. The baby should have been in foster care, not locked up in a hot car.

#15 Magnus

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I really feel sorry for her. It's horrible and I think it sounds like she needed more social support and/or child protection should have intervened and removed the children. I'm not sure a jail term is likely to act as a deterrent to anyone. Educated women reading about it in the newspaper or debating it on EB are probably more likely to hear media coverage about the case than young homeless drug addicts, but they probably already know that it's a bad idea to leave your baby in the car.

#16 Soontobegran

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yes, most definitely. It was well known that she was struggling with a drug addiction yet they left those poor babies with her without the appropriate support and supervision.

#17 -Emissary-

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 12/02/2013, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, most definitely. It was well known that she was struggling with a drug addiction yet they left those poor babies with her without the appropriate support and supervision.

This. It doesn't take away what a serious offence it is to leave a baby unattended sleeping in the car. However, the system failed the children. They shouldn't have been in her care in the first place.

#18 BetteBoop

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 12/02/2013, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel for the mother and most likely she will blame herself foreer. She was deliberately negligent but she would never have meant to kill her daughter.

I can't imagine being young with 2 small kids , no support and desperately doing anything to get the child to sleep. But she shouldn't have left her in the hot car.

Yes. I don't know what to think about the sentence.

It's such an awful story all round. That poor little baby never had a chance being born into that environment.

I assume the other child is now in the foster system.

#19 CallMeFeral

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I don't think there's any answer. I don't think a jail term would deter someone more than losing their child.

Very sad.

#20 glasnost

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I don't think that a jail sentence will deter a parent or carer from leaving a child unattended in a car.

I really hope that the mum is getting the help she needs while she is incarcerated. I have a horrible feeling that it will do her more harm than good.

What a horrible story. sad.gif

#21 ChunkyChook

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

That poor little baby never had a chance being born into that environment.

That poor little baby was me 30 years ago....... only difference is my mum didn't leave me in a stinking hot car to die.

But apparently instead of being a statistic I am a miracle. One of the reasons I get annoyed with the "her parents were drug addicts" "her father served 5 years in jail" "her mother was a single parent" lines they pull when it goes before a judge in court is because all of things applied to me and I like to think I am law abiding and 'normal'. I am no more messed up than a lot of people I know that had 'normal' upbringings.

ETA: That turned into a ASW post. But the point I was trying to make is that people need to stop making excuses. What happened was a tragedy and could have been easily prevented. No matter where she did or didn't live or what drug she had in her system, that baby should not have been left in a car and died.

Edited by ChunkyChook, 12 February 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#22 zogee

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (ChunkyChook @ 12/02/2013, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That poor little baby was me 30 years ago....... only difference is my mum didn't leave me in a stinking hot car to die.

But apparently instead of being a statistic I am a miracle. One of the reasons I get annoyed with the "her parents were drug addicts" "her father served 5 years in jail" "her mother was a single parent" lines they pull when it goes before a judge in court is because all of things applied to me and I like to think I am law abiding and 'normal'. I am no more messed up than a lot of people I know that had 'normal' upbringings.

ETA: That turned into a ASW post. But the point I was trying to make is that people need to stop making excuses. What happened was a tragedy and could have been easily prevented. No matter where she did or didn't live or what drug she had in her system, that baby should not have been left in a car and died.

I'd say though that you are the exception, not the rule. Which is a great compliment to you and your resilience. But it's not fair or logical to say that because you dealt with your upbringing and turned out ok, that everyone should be able to.I think the relevant child protection authority failed to protect that baby as much as their mum did.
Edited due to autocorrect!

Edited by zogee, 12 February 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#23 BetteBoop

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

ChunkyChook, please don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to make excuses for the mother.

I feel enormous sympathy and pain for those poor babies, who got no say about the world they were brought into. And the likelihood one of them would meet with harm was high to begin with.

In your case, the fact that you started with everything against you and did okay, is proof you're an unusually strong person. I doubt many people would come out of a childhood experience like yours and say they were well adjusted.

#24 Lainskii

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

How do we know that she was known to the child protection authorities?

#25 Feral_Pooks

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Lainskii @ 12/02/2013, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do we know that she was known to the child protection authorities?

Wild stab in the dark? And if she, by some bizarre measure, wasn't- then she should have been.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.