Shoulder Tip Pain Desperately Seeking Advice
Utterly Unbearable and in Tears!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 georgiebc

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Fellow EBers-
Any tips, tricks or suggestions would be absolutely wonderful and earn you a place as a Saint in my mind.
I had a Laparoscopy, D+C Hysteroscopy and Dye Study yesterday and stayed in hospital overnight due to scarring with resulted in my ovary and Fallopian tube being adhered to my bowel and endometriosis requiring treatment.
But this shoulder tip pain is utterly horrid, I'm in tears, I'be tried heat packs and Endone for when it gets absolutely terrible and I need something to take the edge off but I'm willing to try anything! I'm desperate for relief!

#2 bikingbubs

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

I would be ringing the hospital where you had the procedure done if its that excruciating.

#3 amabanana

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

You poor thing.  
That happened to a friend of mine who was told it was from trapped air from the lap.  I would definitely call your care provider and get some advice rather than ask randoms on the internets though.

Hope it goes away really soon OP.

#4 ~sydblue~

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

I would front up to emergency and tell them exactly what happened yesterday. You should be seen to pretty quickly.

#5 georgiebc

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks fellow posters!
I've spoken to my Gynaecologist, unfortunately it's more waiting for it to pass, using heat packs and analgesics. Nothing a hospital can do to resolve it.
Just thought the wider community may had had some tips.

#6 leosmum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Oh OP, I really feel for you! It is horrendous. I had a laparoscopy about 10 years ago and recall the shoulder tip pain vividly. Unfortunately I can't suggest any magic cures! I recall using heat packs, analgesics and having someone come to the house to give a gentle massage, and then basically just waiting... These days, I'd probably try some acupuncture or shiatsu massage but wasn't familiar with those back then. I wish you all the best, and hope it passes soon.

#7 Puffin

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I would be using whatever analgesic they gave and take it at the recommended intervals. Don't wait for the pain to be bad or wait longer than recommended before taking the medicine. Keep on top of your pain relief medication and you'll find pain management easier.

Hopefully it settles down very quickly for you OP.

#8 Escapin

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'd head back to ED too. Your OB might have said heat pack and paradox, but that's for the normal pain. Hospitals have all kinds of other much stronger drugs, including nerve blockers. Don't put up with it.

#9 whoisme

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

You need to go back to the ER where you had the op done, preferably.

I wasn't allowed out of the hospital until my shoulder tip pain had gone away.

The hospital dosed me up through the IV with some wonderful drugs to cope with it.  Saying that, I'm not sure anything over the counter will help.

You could try Codiene with Ibuprofen (sp) BUT only after you have spoken to the pharmacist about it - as it knocks you out completely and also if you have someone to look after any children.

#10 Lea4

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Oh you poor thing! I remember this pain after a similar procedure 11 years ago!
The trapped air irritates the phrenic nerve in the diaphragm which refers pain to the tip of the shoulder. If you are taking pain killers as recommended, and your surgeon is happy with your recovery, unfortunately all that i can suggest is to lie as flat as possible so that the air does not go up under the diaphragm.
HTH!

#11 elmo_mum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

im sorry for your pain in your shoulder, but after numerous laps, suck it up!!!

use a hot pack - hot water bottle - what ever and place it on you shoulder

sit more upright in bed...

and take pain relief...

and thats all!!

if you rock up at ed, the staff will let you sit there for lord knows how long, and just ignore you!! and give you panadopl!!!

#12 mandala

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

The advice I was given was to keep moving - just walking around the house - to help the gas reabsorb. I found that it did help me.

#13 **Marni**

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

I had the same thing after a lap and D&C last year. My surgeon explained that it is normal, and caused by the gas dissipating after the surgery. If the hospital sent you home with pain killers (usually something like Panadeine forte) they will help somewhat, but not completely.

My surgeon told me to take DeGas tablets also (over the counter at chemist) and to walk around the house as much as possible to try to move the gas. Laying flat is the worst thing you can do as it makes the pain worse. Sitting up is good, but walking around a little bit every hour is better.

I hope you feel better soon, I remember how painful it is. It took about a week for mine to go away completely but it did get better each day with the walking and DeGas.

Edited by **Marni**, 12 February 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#14 **Marni**

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

And if it is still so bad that you are in tears now you are home, I'd say you need stronger painkillers. Panadol or normal Panadeine won't cut it. I was given the stronger stuff in recovery when I was in agony and crying my eyes out, then got told to take the Panadeine forte at home for the pain.

Definitely try the other suggestions like walking and heat packs etc but ask your dr if they can give you something stronger for the pain. You shouldn't be in tears with it once you are back home and trying to manage the pain yourself.

*hugs*

#15 2813665

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hi OP
You could try a "wind cheater".
1 gram of soluble paracetamol and 10-20 ml peppermint cordial. Mix with a small amount of boiling water and sip. Used to work wonders when we gave it to the ladies on the gynae ward.
Watch your dosing of paracetamol if you are taking other Meds containing it.
Alternatively, peppermint tea can help shift it.
Good luck
Caroline

#16 mez70

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

I know it is prob too late but I thought I would tell you what has helped me in the past.... I drink anything that makes me burp, and eat things like peanuts etc that make me "pass wind" lol The more I am able to belch burp and fart the quicker I find the shoulder tip pains go..

I also sleep with a few pillows in a semi upright state as lying down makes it feel so much worse.

I hope by now you are feeling better, I know the first time I had it badly it was so painful and scary as for me it was my left shoulder (so you can guess where and what I was thinking) so now my post Lap regime is always lemonade and food that gives me gas ...

Good luck and by now I hope you are more comfortable

#17 blenheim

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Mintec tablets may help - from the supermarket or chemist.

#18 ginger72

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

I was a bit groggy but I think they put Emla patches where I had the shoulder tip pain after my last c-section.  And they gave me Voltaren, orally, in addition to the pethidine.  But if you are in that much pain, I would front up to a hospital and let them deal with it.  Hope it eases up for you soon!

#19 FearsomeFeralFreak

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

I remember this! It's true, you just need to wait for it to pass. Turning up to ER will just result in you probably sitting around for ages to only walk away with more of the same painkillers you have now.

#20 *Mrs_Cullen*

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Probabaly way too late, but de gas tablets are the bomb !!!

They worked for me when endone etc wouldnt..

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.