Thank you dinner/party...
What would you prepare UPDATE post #11

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MissButtercup

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

We have a group of amazing friends that have helped us out lately so we want to throw a thank you party or host a meal for them. So what would you prepare food wise? We were thinking maybe a spit roast or just lots of tapas style dishes but open to as many ideas as possible.
It you were a guest what would you be impressed with?
TIA

Edited by MissButtercup, 16 February 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#2 kpingitquiet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Seafood always feels extravagant to me. So I'd probably go that route, with an option for another main dish for anyone who doesn't eat fish/shellfish. But check for allergies first!

Back home, we do big crab/lobster/crawfish boils and clambakes to have a big/fun time. Not sure where you are and if you have access to Moreton Bay Bugs or Marron, mussels, cockles, oysters etc but would something like that be an option?

http://www.cashmerefog.com/2011/06/how-to-...ster-steam.html

http://eat.snooth.com/articles/how-to-clambake/?viewall=1

#3 gettheetoanunnery

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

I would be impressed with an invite. biggrin.gif
Both of those options sound fabulous.
Not in terms of which is more impressive, but which may be more suitable, or better caters for a gathering - I'd vote the tapas - lots of lovely plates of delicious delectables. If you don't like something, move on to another plate.
Nice one - what a great way to show appreciation

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 12 February 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#4 MissButtercup

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Love the sea food idea but we're in northern Victoria and its quite difficult to get your hands on fresh seafood, however we maybe able to get our hands on some yabbies..

I am leaning towards tapas as well..... Hmm need to think desert as well original.gif

#5 MissButtercup

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Any tapas favorites you could suggest?

Edited by MissButtercup, 12 February 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#6 kpingitquiet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

That does make it a little difficult! biggrin.gif Tapas would be fun, in that case!

Patatas bravas are soooo yummy. http://misadventureswithandi.com/2012/03/t...an-recipes.html has some good Catalan finger foods, Martha Stewart is ever helpful: http://www.marthastewart.com/274968/tapas-...9/cocktail-hour and you could do some locally inspired dishes using things like haloumi, mallee honey and lamb, Murray Cod, verjuice/wine, olive tapenade, etc.

Maybe an almond/pistachio laced dessert with a good selection of local wine.

(Unless I'm totally off and you're in a different part of N. Vic than I think you are biggrin.gif )

#7 MissButtercup

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

I think you've found me kp original.gif  are you close by?

Love your ideas - best I start on the shopping list even though we're probably about a month off.

#8 cuddlebud

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

You could do a big chicken, chorizo and capsicum paella - can look impressive on the table and helps bulk out the tapas.

#9 kpingitquiet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Not super close but we're only about an hour off the big muddy river, in the opposite direction, so our local food isn't too different (with a little bonus seafood thrown in hehe).

I think it's heading into fig season, right now, too! OMG.. check out this fig and almond cake:

http://www.bakingobsession.com/2008/06/14/...d-sesame-seeds/

#10 MissButtercup

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

That does look delicious!

#11 MissButtercup

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Well today I found out that one of DH's mates that has been volunteering is going well and truly above the call of duty/friendship. His partner has been going through chemo and isn't very well yet he's still willing to lend a hand!

So... any suggestions on meals I could bake for them to just re-heat to help them out. I haven't actually met his partner but would like to try return the favour somehow... I was thinking like lasagna etc...

#12 kpingitquiet

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Not stalking you, I swear! biggrin.gif You have some wonderful friends. I would go for soups and stews as they're easier on the stomach for chemo patients. Lots of high-nutrition veggies chopped in, etc. My favorite thing to do for folks is to cook up curries, sauces, stews, etc without a major starch added and give those frozen along with a few packets of unflavored microwave rice. Sunrice does basmati, brown, jasmine, regular, every kind in microwave packs. Makes for a quick, healthy meal.

This article is fantastic for nutrition-boosting foods for people undergoing cancer treatment: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nancy-devill..._b_1276858.html

#13 MissButtercup

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Kp thank you soo much! Awesome link.

#14 kpingitquiet

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

My pleasure!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.