"team building" activities
after-dinner entertainment

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Training program begins this weekend, and each study group is required to put on "some form of entertainment" on Saturday night.

4 of us in each group.  I had a short conversation with one girl at the intro session, the other 2 I haven't met - both men I think.

I don't play an instrument, I don't know if the others do.

Any suggestions as to what we could do?

#2 Boombox

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Man I loathe those team building entertainment evenings- painful to watch, and often humiliating to be in. Fair enough if you're an extrovert, but for me it's like torture!

Sorry, not much help am I?!

#3 Bunsen the feral

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Sorry, thought it was going to be a share your hellish stories kind of thread....

#4 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Loathe, loathe, loathe these ridiculous hare-brained schemes. I was once forced into attending  a whitewater rafting team building farce. We were cold, wet, hungry and p----d off and still all detested each other afterwards.

#5 Fr0g

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

My Condolences.

:hug:

#6 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Duffy29 @ 12/02/2013, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any suggestions as to what we could do?

Come down with a severe 24-hour stomach flu?

I despise those activities, except in the theatre where it is actually important to be physically and emotionally close to those you're working with. And then, everyone's as crazy as the next person, so it kinda works!

Find out if any of the others have a particular talent (music, dancing, plate spinning) and see if you can incorporate that. If not, then what about a reading of some kind. Not as embarrassing as singing *shudder* but everyone's able to just do it together or do a little at a time. Poetry - Jabberwocky is fun and not too long.

#7 LittleListen

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Who's on first?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA4LcsyczA8

#8 .Jerry.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

No help from me.  I would also come down with an acute illness.

#9 Peppery

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Another offering sympathy. I hate team building events.

#10 Ferelsmegz

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hahahaha... I was going to suggest fast clearing critical illness - but it seems I was beaten to the punch.

#11 CountryFeral

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Team building:

Open bar + bouncy castle and/or privately hired waterslide park.

Anything else is contrived and horrific.

OP you have my sympathy.

#12 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Have I found the one problem EB cannot solve?  Good God!  And hear I was thinking I'd have 20 skits we could perform

#13 Miriam+1

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

This is a bit complicated but hilarious when it works.  You need to be completely deadpan and have a bit of musical aptitude.  

You do a thing where you tune beer bottles by drinking different amounts, so each plays a different note when hit it with a stick (maybe your kids have a xylophone stick?) or blow across it.  
You need a mix of stubbies and longnecks, different sizes.  You can use a kids recorder to help you get the notes right.  
Put some of them out, already tuned, on a table.   Leave out 4 (or however many people are in the skit) bottles, which you mark showing the amount you have to drink to get the note.
Then you wander in, one by one, drinking the beer in silence.  This gets a nervous laugh each time.  Each person puts the bottle in the right place.  You then have one person play a song with the stick (or by all of you blowing across the bottles - say 2 each), bow and walk off.
You can also do it with crystal glasses.  

#14 Feralishous

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 12/02/2013, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Team building:

Open bar + bouncy castle and/or privately hired waterslide park.

if only!

#15 Fr0g

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog @ 12/02/2013, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Condolences.

My smart mouth has come back to haunt me... I'm doing "team building exercises" tomorrow..... wink.gif

QUOTE (FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog @ 12/02/2013, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Condolences.

My smart mouth has come back to haunt me... I'm doing "team building exercises" tomorrow..... wink.gif

#16 SisterMaryElephant

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

All I can think of is all those silly acts we did at school camps.  You know: one of you sits behind and pretends to be the ├írms of the person in front and then do stupid stuff like clean teeth, shave, etc, all with lots of mess.  Usually gets people laughing at any rate.  
Or, you know, redoing a Two Ronnies skit blush.gif

ETA like this one, only change the places, etc to be more relevant.

Edited by CleverChook, 13 February 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#17 librablonde

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Good lord, I despise those team-building events. I had to attend so many of them when I worked at a big Telco. Absolutely effing hated attending. One time we had to all sit and beat on bongo's to particular rhythms and see who was out of rhythm (thus illustrating the analogy of us being out-of-step with our customers) and another time we had to all dress in disposable white jumpsuits (the kind you wear when painting) to illustrate how our customers see us as having no personality or individuality. F*ck me, it was just awful. I could go on and on about all the hare-brained things I had to do and endure on these team-building events. And all I could ever think was if the Company could just sort out their inadequate computer systems that caused so many errors and slows, and if we didn't have to work such brutal rosters that perhaps team morale would be higher and we'd naturally do our own team-building......

Sorry, that was off-topic but bloody "team building" really gets my goat  mad.gif

#18 seepi

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

four people is perfect for that thing where you sit one behind the other behind a table and the people at the back stick their arms out where the front people's legs would be if they were sitting on the table. they need to wear long socks on their arms, and shoes on their hands.

Then you just do crazy/impossible dancing to a current song  gangman style?

It is funny, quick, easy and you don't have to sing or really move out of your seats.

#19 secret~sammy

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

I find the way to go is something with audience participation - a little trivia quiz, pictionary, build an egg protection device with four drinking straws and a sheet of newspaper. A block of chocolate for the winning team and yours will be the best activity of the night.

#20 Who is me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Bowling, cooking class where you eat together afterwards, gold class movies - these are a few dh has been to recently. Everyone really liked the cooking one, I think they made pasta. DH and I both dislike the drinking events as we don't really drink much.

#21 lizzzard

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (Miriam+1 @ 12/02/2013, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a bit complicated but hilarious when it works.  You need to be completely deadpan and have a bit of musical aptitude.  

You do a thing where you tune beer bottles by drinking different amounts, so each plays a different note when hit it with a stick (maybe your kids have a xylophone stick?) or blow across it.  
You need a mix of stubbies and longnecks, different sizes.  You can use a kids recorder to help you get the notes right.  
Put some of them out, already tuned, on a table.   Leave out 4 (or however many people are in the skit) bottles, which you mark showing the amount you have to drink to get the note.
Then you wander in, one by one, drinking the beer in silence.  This gets a nervous laugh each time.  Each person puts the bottle in the right place.  You then have one person play a song with the stick (or by all of you blowing across the bottles - say 2 each), bow and walk off.
You can also do it with crystal glasses.

I'm going to keep this one in mind!

#22 CallMeFeral

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

I like the beer one.

#23 Jax12

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

I was also going to suggest you run an activity for the other participants instead in small groups of four, probably in competition with each other for a small prize.  If you think this could be the way to go I have heaps of games you could do if you want to PM me.  

How many in the whole group?  Alternatively you could run one big game.  

A nice, easy one is where everyone stands in a cicle and there is a person in the middle who randomly points at someone.  They must bob down and the two people either side have to "shoot" each other by pointing and saying 'bang'.  The slowest out of the three is eliminated.  Final two stand back to back, someone chooses a code word and the facilitator (or a volunteer) tells a story and when the code word is mentioned they turn and shoot.  So if the code word was 'pineapple' I might start by saying, 'I went for a walk to collect some pinecones..." etc until the actual word is said.  It can be quite fun...or torture, depending on your personality type...but might be better to torture others than get onstage and do an awkward skit!! original.gif

Or you could do a Spicks and Specks type game and each of you sing a song with the lyrics taken from material from the course - small prizes for the team or individual who guesses correctly?

#24 naomi_j86

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

One of those rhyming poems that assign a various amount of points for each object and whoever has the most, gets a prize?

Eg: 1 point for near
2 points for far
Add 3 more points if you came by car.

(then it goes on to talk about coloured clothes, eyes, wearing buttons, etc)

#25 StopTheGoats

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

I propose a ritual burning of the HR team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.