10 yr old DS weeing lots and lots

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 whoisme

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Hi,

Wasn't sure where to put this post.

My DS who usually has a bladder of cast iron (so can pretty much go the whole day without a wee) has within the last 4 weeks been going to the toilet at least once an hour.

He is not anxious about anything.  If he is anxious or worrying about something he will have night terrors.

A urine sample showed negative for any infections.  When the GP felt his left side near kidneys and lower left abdominal area my DS felt discomfort.

When he goes to the toilet there is hardly any wee, just enough for a dribble (although the first wee of the morning has more quantity and force).  The colour is normal.

DS has an ultrasound tomorrow and the GP said if it shows inconclusive and he is still weeing so frequently then to follow up with a referral to a urologist.

Anyone had anything similar with the kids.  Would love any insight.

#2 soontobegran

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Has he been tested for glucose in his urine and had his blood sugar checked?
Just a thought, I know it's probably not the case but frequency can be associated with diabetes.

#3 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

That was the first thing I thought of too.

#4 Jax12

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

That was my first thought too.  Best of luck OP and sorry I don't have anything new to offer.

#5 sparassidae

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Although of course I am going to recommend a 'better safe than sorry' BGL check, undx type 1 diabetes was associated with not only frequent urination, but LOTS of it every time. For other symptoms see my sig. Hope you get some answers

#6 whoisme

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Not sure if it would be diabetes.  Although he goes to the toilet heaps he isn't passing hardly any urine, he isn't drinking excessively, if anything less....

He has complained of "not feeling himself" over the last few weeks, with sore ankles/heel area.  Also after further thought he doesn't seem as energetic/bright.... sad.gif

#7 30bt

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

i'd get a referral to a paediatrician who will look at the whole of him rather than the urologist who will just look at the wee !

#8 Kay1

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

I'd also go to a paediatrician. But no harm going to the urologist in the meantime. Good luck.

#9 ~*Twilight~Zone*~

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

How did his ultrasound go OP?

#10 whoisme

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Thanks all for the replies.

My DS has had a second blood test - all is okay.

Dr did a second urine test - again, all is okay.

The ultrasound was fine.

It is now down to see how he goes for the next week or so, if the frequency is still occurring then to make an appointment with the paediatrician.

As it is, he has somewhat reduced the frequency however still going more than what is normal for him and also waking early to go to the loo, at like 4am, when normally he can go from bedtime to wake time.

#11 SplashingRainbows

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Op the test for diabetes is not invasive or difficult to arrange.

I get that it probably isn't that, but given the symptoms and no other proposed diagnosis I would be asking for it to be tested and ruled out. The consequences for delayed or missed diagnosis can be severe - knowing what i know i would be asking for the test (my father was diagnosed at a similar age).

Hope you get an answer soon, and your son is on the mend.

#12 Loz07

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Has he had any lower back pain? The nerves which supply your baldder/bowel also supply areas around your feet... The fact that he has had complaints in both these areas may mean it is coming from his back? If the nerves are affected, this *could* explain the urge to go all the time.
May not be, but worth a question, and /or may something to look into if not resolving.

#13 kadoodle

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'm going through this right now with my 8yo DS1, we're off to the Royal Childrens' next week for an MRI, as diabetes tests, ultrasounds and blood tests have turned up nada.  He's currently on an antidiuretic so he's not needing to pee every half and hour.  It's a short term solution and so far the only theory anyone has is that he's had an infections of some sort and it's left him with an irritable bladder.  He already has IBS, so they might be irritating each other too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.