Do your kids go to bed and actually fall asleep?
Within half an hour?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 audrey09

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I have a 6 and 8 yr old that share a room.
I'm finding the bedtime routine recently to be a big drain on my patience.

Mainly the 6 yr old will carry on requesting a drink, food, gets up and plays, carries on and annoys his brother and its driving me insane.
I'm going to put them in to bed at 8.30 as any earlier doesn't work. I'm finding that mostly they won't actually fall asleep untill after 9.30.
The other day it was 10.10!!!!
I know you can't force them to sleep and trying to get the 6 yr old to do some quiet reading in bed is beyond a joke at this stage! He's just not tired.

Just wish there was a sleeping strategy that I could use like there is with controlled crying!

I just need time to myself at night to do my own things, housework, school lunches etc and relaxing even!!

Do your kids go to sleep almost the moment their head hits the pillow?

Edited by audrey09, 12 February 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#2 JRA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Yes, and has for most of his life. We had a stage early on where we did a lot of tummy rubbing (as a baby), then a stage at 2ish where we had some issues, but other than that always.

We have had a set routine all his life, and oddly it really hasn't changed that much in 10 years.

#3 Alpha_Chook

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

ARGH!!! I am hoping that by 6 Eamon will be old enough to put himself to bed and fall asleep in a reasonable time frame.....please tell me that will happen??? SOMEONE???

#4 ~Supernova~

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

My 8yr old reads until she goes to sleep, 9/10 she falls asleep within 10mins or so. On the rare occasions that she wants a drink, she gets it herself then goes back to bed. She knows she'd be in trouble if she got up and started playing!

My almost 1yr old? HA! We lay down with him to get him to sleep, and more often than not he is up again an hour later *sigh*

#5 ChunkyChook

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

DD is almost 7, she goes to bed at 7.30 with her lamp on and reads. Some nights she is out in 15 minutes, others I will spy and she will be awake an hour later.

I am strict with the shower, jamas, teeth, drink, toilet routine so there is no yelling/getting out.

#6 Mamacass2

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

No my six and a half year old very rarely goes to bed and falls asleep straight away. He makes up all these excuses to come out.
Tonight it was:

In bed: 7

Story, reader and chat until about 7.20

Then I leave and put his sister to bed.

Visit(from him) one: "You left your pen in my room"

Visit 2: "I can't sleep because I am hot", fix his doona so only sheet is on him.

Visit 3: "I am having nightmares" he can't be because I can hear him singing!

Visit 4: "I still can't sleep because it is best if I fall asleep as soon as I get into bed but I didn't so I won't be able to sleep tonight"

Me "Sigh"

This has been going on for years so annoying! It is every night. Different excuses. I have tried later bedtime, earlier bedtime, no TV/WII before bed, etc etc. So I hear you OP.

#7 zande

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

DD1 has NEVER fallen asleep on her own without a battle, she has Aspergers traits and has been on melatonin for a couple of years, so she's good now.

DD2, just turned 6, used to be awesome at going to bed and going to sleep, but she's being a pain atm. She goes in at around 7ish with a story etc, but as soon as lights go out she acts up, comes out, "I'm not tired etc", it's getting close to 9pm before she finally falls asleep, it's doing our heads in, in that it's 9pm before we finally get to "go off duty" so to speak and have a sit down and relax. Don't quite know what to do about it!

#8 Kay1

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Mine are 4 and 7. For the last few years they have mostly gone to bed extremely well at around 7-8pm thanks to their selection of stories on cd.

We have a (rather long) bedtime routine and then at about 7.30-8pm its lights out and we are out of there. They put on a cd which they take turns to choose and that's it.

However in the last couple of weeks DS1 has been coming out of their room saying he's not tired. He is allowed to read in their room (DS2 falls asleep regardless as he's shattered by then) or on the beanbag in the play area upstairs if he's not tired. He is not allowed to come downstairs unless its really necessary because it is 'grown up time'. He is fine with that but will sometimes look for excuses to come down. He is clearly not tired so his natural bedtime is obviously moving later which I suppose is inevitable. Its often 8.30p-9pm now by the time he falls asleep.

Both my kids have water bottles next to their beds so no requests for drinks of water.

#9 -*meh*-

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

yes both my kids do...

DS2 is always asleep within about 5-10 min of getting in to bed but he is always been a good sleeper and will pass out anywhere

DS1 rarely is awake past 30min and if he is there is something bothering him (usually sensory - ASD)

however that is in separate rooms... sharing a room means they tend to play up more and thats why we keep the rooms separate!

#10 CupcakeMumma

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Yes.  My 6 yo might read but is asleep generally by 7.30.  My 9 yo goes at 8 and listens to a meditation cd and is generally asleep by 8.30.

#11 lamarque

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

10 and 8 year old here.  They only crash within half an hour if really exhausted.  rolleyes.gif

#12 libbylu

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

No, DS takes between 30 and 60 minutes to fall asleep.  Usually gets up to wee twice and often wants a drink or for me to sort his blankets out.
If I were you I would send your 6 year old to bed half an hour earlier and let the 8 year old do quiet reading.  He might settle more quickly on his own than with his brother in the room.  Then once he is asleep send the 8yo in.  There is no way my DS would settle quickly with another kid in the room, he would be thinking of every strategy to get that kid worked up to delay the quiet and sleeping.

#13 audrey09

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

I'm also wondering what time they go to bed?
Is it realistic to expect them to go to bed at 8-8.30 and fall asleep shortly afterwards?

I don't know how to tire them out! The 6 year old had swimming afterschool today and he's still not tired!

#14 1ds1dd

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

My two are freaks! Both will fall straight to sleep at 8.00pm bed time (9 year old and 7 year old). In fact most nights I tuck DD in, walk up the hall to tuck DS in and she's asleep before I get back past! Seriously, in less than 2 minutes! Sorry to say though I have no tips for making this happen, they come from  my husbands genes where his whole family can fall asleep in seconds.

#15 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

No day doesn't it can take up to 5 hrs for ds to get to sleep.

We have had the same routine since ds was 6 months.
dinner bath nursery rhymes milk then bed but since he turned 2 and a half ds just doesn't want to go to sleep before 10pm sometimes it's midnight before he falls to sleep then wakes up between 4am-8am.

Hopefully one day I will get some sleep.

#16 JRA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (audrey09 @ 12/02/2013, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm also wondering what time they go to bed?
Is it realistic to expect them to go to bed at 8-8.30 and fall asleep shortly afterwards?

I don't know how to tire them out! The 6 year old had swimming afterschool today and he's still not tired!

It depends on the child, DS is 10 and still needs to be in bed by 8.30, one of his friends is rarely in bed before 10

#17 Leslie Knope

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

LOL, no!

#18 PreachersWife

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

My three have always been good sleepers and have settled for the night easily (obviously except the early baby period). DD1 and DS are in bed by 7:30 (DD1 gets quiet reading time) and the baby goes to bed about 8ish.

We have a bath, dinner, reader for DD1(5.5) and a looney tunes cartoon for DS(3.5) before teeth and stories for the bigger ones and bottle for the 8mth baby. Dh reads to the kids in our bed, but they sleep separately. DD1 and 2 share a room, we found that better than the two older ones!

Except for the occasional (once or twice a month) evening of chaos, it's all quiet by 8:15pm. But we're fairly strict, if you ask DS he'll tell you that "no calling out, no hopping out of bed" after lights out (toilet stops permitted).

Edit to add, I agree with PP I thnk it's genetic lol, DH takes ages to fall asleep but according to him I have mild narcolepsy and can fall asleep anywhere, anytime!

Edited by PreachersWife, 12 February 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#19 CCLady

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Nearly 8 and a 6.5yo that share a room and the 8yo is always asleep first within 10 minutes. Her brother is the talker/singer/drinker/toileter. Drives her nuts (and us).

As for the time, I would ideally love them to be in bed at 7.30 but its usually 8.30pm...

#20 Feral_Pooks

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

DS is almost one, and I think he has gone to bed and simply gone to sleep on his own maybe three times. Usually it takes about an hour, give or take. Tonight we are 75 minutes and counting.

#21 Chaos in stereo

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

laughing2.gif

#22 Gloriana

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Yes and always has. Reads for 30 mins and then goes to sleep.

#23 Peppery

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

DD who is 4 usually falls asleep within 20 minutes but that after saying 'mummy, I have to tell you something!!!!' 5 or 6 times plus a few sips of water and lots of hugs and kisses.

Most nights I count backwards from 10 more than once to calm myself. I should just start at 50 instead

#24 kpingitquiet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

2yo has music (Rockabye Baby is AWESOME. Wish I'd had it as a kid) which auto-stops after 30 mins, a bedside light that auto-offs after 1hr, a cup of water, and a book or two to "read". She seems pretty happy with that combo and drifts off within 10-20 mins from the end of her storytime/tuck-in routine. Hopefully we're setting good patterns for later but ya just never know. I was a TOTAL music/read-to-sleep kid, well into my teens. Even now I like to fall asleep with a book or a movie. Maybe he needs a distraction like music to help him tune his thoughts out. Is he a particularly bright kid?

#25 Peppery

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (kpingitquiet @ 12/02/2013, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2yo has music (Rockabye Baby is AWESOME. Wish I'd had it as a kid) which auto-stops after 30 mins, a bedside light that auto-offs after 1hr, a cup of water, and a book or two to "read". She seems pretty happy with that combo and drifts off within 10-20 mins from the end of her storytime/tuck-in routine. Hopefully we're setting good patterns for later but ya just never know. I was a TOTAL music/read-to-sleep kid, well into my teens. Even now I like to fall asleep with a book or a movie. Maybe he needs a distraction like music to help him tune his thoughts out. Is he a particularly bright kid?

I have listened to the U2 one to help myself fall asleep ph34r.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.