n

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~Coffee~_*

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

n

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 21 February 2013 - 04:04 AM.

#2 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

I do creative cupcakes so I can do handbags out of them and made roses and other things out of sugar and fondant. I have a stack of sugar craft books but I subscribe to several youtube changes that give weekly tutes on various things and you can ask them to do a tute on something and they will do it, I hate the workshops where you have to sit through and the instructor is condesending 90% of the time. I find I learn better by having the video I can keep referring back to.

#3 Guest_~Coffee~_*

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

n

#4 Bigfatbum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

YouTube, library books, cake forums. There is a really lovely one on Facebook called Australian cake decorating group

#5 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

Cake forums, books and trial and error.

Just be careful with cake forums, especially if you are not religious. I found that in the US many of the cake decorators are doing it for their church etc so there is a lot talk of God. The forum I found had very little of that despite the fact that they mostly were church goers... worse potty mouths I've heard out of church going people LOL! It was a spin off group from a larger forum that was run more like a dictatorship.

#6 Ranunculus

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

Mostly youtube for me.

I find a style of cake I would like to make then google and youtube on how to do it. I tend to fluke things a bit  biggrin.gif

Edited by G.K, 13 February 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#7 jossy

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

I started with books, the first Planet Cake one to be specific.  It gives you really great info on the basics like how to ganache your cakes perfectly and how to prepare and use fondant etc.  I know ganache completely differently but it was awesome for getting started.  Debbie Brown's 50 Easy Party Cakes is also good for when you're starting.  I now have a massive cake decorating book collection, some get more of a workout than others, and there isn't one that I haven't learned something from.

There's pretty much a tutorial for everything online, whether it's a blog post or youtube video.  I haven't got much out of cake forums but I am a member of several groups online.  Even though I've been doing it for a few years now and I run my own business I have just signed up to Learn Cake Decorating Online.  It's an Australian site and is $9.95 a month.  I did a four tier ombre ruffled wedding cake last week and I learned the technique from their ruffle video.  Another site I'm signed up to is My Cake School.  They are based in America and their fee is yearly but I would happily pay double because their tutorials are so worth it!  Cake decorating classes on Craftsy are also awesome and if you sign up for their newsletter they regularly send out emails with links to discounted classes.

So I'd start with a few books and go from there.

#8 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

These DVDs are awesome too!

#9 harryhoo

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

I went to a six-week one-night-a-week course. Then used books like Planet Cake. Eventually signed up for a one-day intermediate course. I actually found the courses really good to do - the instructor was awesome and had been trained at Planet Cake herself. Other than that I just look at magazines, google or fluke it!

#10 Rangeman

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I've done 2 courses at Planet Cake, the cupcake one & a round cake one - they were both fabulous and gave you losts of little easy ways to do things.  They were expensive but worth it I think.

#11 unicorn

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (Rangeman @ 13/02/2013, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've done 2 courses at Planet Cake, the cupcake one & a round cake one - they were both fabulous and gave you losts of little easy ways to do things.  They were expensive but worth it I think.

What is a reasonable price to pay for a course? They have them running in town every couple of months and I would love to do some, but need to convince myself that the cost is reasonable, about $300 for a day course.

#12 Bigfatbum

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

The courses I want to do start from 400 and run up to the 1000s. That seems average as well. Mostly for one to  two day courses

#13 Guest_~Coffee~_*

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

n

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.