Have you used one? Impractical or not?
Water type shields for kids to stop water getting in eyes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 liveworkplay

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

I am being quite put upon by a group of daycare mums over a comment about those plastic visor type things that some people use to stop water going in their kids eyes whilst washing their hair.

Like this

My comment was "For me, I don't think I would be coordinated enough to wash my girls hair properly with one of those on, they look a bit impractical".

The maker took huge offense to my comment as everyone else was saying how amazing they looked.

So have you used one? How do you get all the hair washed and rinsed?

I actually think it is important for kids to get used to water on their face for water safety/swimming. But I suppose that's slightly off tangent.

Edited by liveworkplay, 13 February 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#2 Bluenomi

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

I think they are a waste of time. I just taught DD to tilt her head back and use one hand to protect her eyes and the other to rinse using a cup. Does the job and if the odd bit of water gets in her eyes I just wipe it off.

She hates water in her eyes (so do I so she must get it from me) but she copes with it because she knows she has too!

#3 noi'mnot

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

My first thought was that I wouldn't be able to use one either. I've never seen them before. We've just taught to tilt their heads back, and we use a hand to keep as much as possible out of their eyes. I agree that it's good to get them used to water on their faces.

But the mum who took issue makes these? I can understand that she might be a bit sensitive about her product, but would expect a different reaction along the lines of "yes well many parents say this, in which case I recommend X, Y and Z and they then go on to use them easily". I've never tried running a small business, I understand they're very stressful and such. I'd say her feelings are more about the stress of trying to make her business work.

#4 laridae

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

I had one of those as a kid!  They aren't a particularly new invention.
Anyway... I don't think I'd bother with it.  You can't clean the hair under it particularly well, and water still goes over the edge, so would still bother kids that don't like water going over their faces.

#5 SummerStar

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

I had one of those when I was a kid, they've been around for decades. Our issue was my hair couldn't be fully washed with it on. It covers part of the hair, especially in boys. Maybe not a huge deal for some but still annoying.
I also agree that it's important for my little ones to get water in their eyes so they get used to it. Not alot, just a little while washing their hair.
My sister in law did swimming lessons for her 6 month old and told me not to bother because all they did was tip water over their faces to get them used to it and I could just do it at home in the bath!

#6 Moo point

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

I don't think I'd bother. And I agree with PP, I think the maker was being sensitive about her product/business.

When I was a kid we used to just hold a folded facewasher over our eyes when the shampoo was rinsed out  shrug.gif

#7 Kay1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

I have a jug that has a soft side at the front so you can sort of press it against the child's head to prevent water gushing down their face. It works pretty well. I just endured the screams and moans until they got old enough to put their heads back and close their eyes.

#8 GreenEgg

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Kay1 @ 13/02/2013, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a jug that has a soft side at the front so you can sort of press it against the child's head to prevent water gushing down their face. It works pretty well. I just endured the screams and moans until they got old enough to put their heads back and close their eyes.

This in our house too.  Though I am still enduring the screams.

#9 CountryFeral

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

I remember my cousin having one of those for her baby back in 1979!

There was great hilarity when my uncle decided he needed it too as he hated getting water in his eyes.

I think the maker probably got her back up because what you said basically said was "What you do is useless!"

You would have to be made of stone not to find that personally insulting.  Even if the product IS somewhat pointless.

Have you ever had to politely decline one of those god awful 'candle/sexy underwear/tupperware/etc' parties?

People get miffed.  If it was something you had actually put the time into designing and making yourself... well multiply the miffedness by a factor of 10!

#10 vitaechel

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

My baby brother had something similar when he was a baby. I remember it made bathtime a bit more fun and so he was more willing.

I have one of the soft sided jugs - which basically makes it easier to pour water over their heads. Both my kids don't mind having their hair washed (even DD at 6mths) nor do they mind water on their face, so a flower hat would be useless to me.

#11 ~zael~

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

We used something similar about 10 years ago after our son had grommets as he hated ear plugs.  It was pretty useful for that reason, but I wouldn't use one just to avoid water in their eyes, we just use a washer for that original.gif

#12 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

It looks like useless clutter to me.

#13 liveworkplay

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Countrymel, yes, I suppose I could have been a little bit less straight forward. I was actually a bit miffed at her as she has been spamming our daycare FB group two of three times a day and I was getting annoyed with it.

We do the face washer and leaning back. My 3 year old now lays back in the bath like her big sisters.

I think her selling point was that they are multi sized, unlike others on the market. but at $9.95 + $1.50 P&H I don't get it.

#14 monkeys mum

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

My son has sensory issues and short hair if he washes it he washes it its one battle that neither wins. His hair doesnt get dirty, and if I dont make a point of washing it or wanting to it gets wet at least two baths a week. One of those wouldnt  help actually the youngest would think its a cool new toy and it would probably be wrecked in a week.

What you said probably upset her  but she will have more of that to come if she keeps with selling online or at markets. Chances are shes imported the product, if so no doubt the shock when someone else sells them would be worse.

#15 JustBeige

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I had one for DS for years.  He HATED getting water on his face in the shower.  Mind you I think I got mine from coles or the $2 shop or some place like that and it was the same material as the old fashioned shower caps.

The ones I had were mutli sized too as they are/were elastic (like the shower caps)

I was actually a bit miffed at her as she has been spamming our daycare FB group two of three times a day and I was getting annoyed with it.
  that would annoy me to.

#16 ~shannon~

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

DD1 really liked using the Drieyes because she had to hold it and had control of it, while I had my hands free to wash her hair. She stopped using it when she was about 4 or 5 (I guess she figured out how to keep her eyes closed!) but it was really useful in the early days. I'm pretty sure it was one size fits all too, and it doesn't go around the back of the head, only over the forehead. How do you wash the lower back of a child's hair (or behind the ears) with the ones your friend makes?

DD2, however, has never needed it. She has no problem with water over her face or washing her hair.

I tend to agree that it is not an "essential" item but for kids who really make hair washing a PITA it might help.

#17 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

It's landfill. Impractical and a waste of money.

#18 Peppery

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

DD used to hate getting water tipped over her head and ended up with a mouthful of water each time. I obviously aimed for her hair but she would wiggle and the water would go everywhere.

In theory i like the idea of these but they just don't look practical. It doesn't look like you can rinse the shampoo out properly at the front.

#19 JRA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

You have to be kidding. They are hysterical

#20 liveworkplay

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Oh but JRA, apparently they are so clever, so cute and just so damn practical they miraculously vanish all bath time dramas laughing2.gif If only I could actually get my 3 year old in the bath more then once a week I would be happy. I wonder if there is a plastic thingy majiggy for that?

#21 -*meh*-

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

wow i am just a horrid parent who says "shut your eyes and mouth" and then i dump a jug of water over their head!

Their learnt pretty quickly to keep things closed!

#22 Reader

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

For a short time, my son hated water getting in his eyes at hair washing time - didn't mind it on his face though. We just used swimming goggles until he got over it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.