School Bus drove past my child

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 sheamus

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

As the title states. I have started to let my 7 y.o catch the bus to school. I drive her to the bus stop and park up from the bus zone, about 20 metres up (so I am legally parked). She waits with me until it's time for the bus to come and then gets out of the car and walks 20 metres to the bus stop. I stay next to the car (I have another littlie) and get out and wait until she is on  the bus. Usually there is another little boy there but today he wasn't there. I have chatted to his mum before and we both wait.

So this morning my daughter is waiting at the stop and the school bus drives straight past her. I then got her in the car and followed the bus for about a km (past two more stops) to where it stopped again. I got out and my daughter ran on. It was a different bus driver who told me he drives wed, thurs and fri. He then told me he doesn't stop at the stop I was at (even  though the other driver did and the time table says it does). He says it was because he has to watch the road as he turns the corner and that bus stop is meant for other buses going in a different direction.

I then said it was strange because she had caught the bus there the last two days as had the other little boy. He said then "if you work with me I'll work with you" huh.gif and could I please drop my daughter at the school bus stop about 500 metres from where I had dropped her as it was easier for him and she has shelter if it was raining.

This other bus stop is in a no standing zone out side another school. It is highly inconvienient and impractical. I may as well drive her to school.
But what gets me is that he drove straight past my daughter, what if it was a child who hadn't had a parent there? Many kids just wait alone at bus stops and it upsets me to think that he could just drive by a child like that.

So would you ring the bus company and ask what is the go? I do not want to complain formally as it he may become nasty. Also it could have just been an honest mistake with him trying to cover his a*se.

WWYD?

Edited by Omega_particle, 13 February 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#2 lamarque

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I would be calling the bus company for sure!

My DD who just turned 8 would be an absolute mess if a school bus drove straight past her.  Thankfully you waited.  

I hate to say it but Daniel Morcombe's bus went straight by him too.   sad.gif

#3 dolcengabbana

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

If the bus stop your DD and you were  waiting at, is on the time table and route pick up I would definetely call to discuss with the company.

I would also point out calmly the risk involved in the bus leaving your DD and driving past and fortunately you were still parked to assist your DD.

I would seek clarification on the bustops and route and insist all drivers of the route are aware there are pickups at those stops.

#4 JustBeige

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Man I would be steaming if that had happened.  What a load of horse poo that driver has told you.

Absolutely ring the bus company and complain about him.  Also warn them that your DD had better not be harrassed or bullied by this man.  state his "work with me and I'll work with you"   I would suggest to them that if he doesnt like doing the school run then they find him a route that is more suited.

Also complain to the school. loudly.

#5 Floral Arrangement

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Bus driver is making excuses and not doing his job please call the bus company.

#6 ILBB

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

I would be calling the bus company and verifying all of the information given.  If he was "supposed" to stop at that stop then I would be putting in a formal complaint and following it all the way as far I could.

Regulations changed about buses not stopping for children - even when full after Daniel Morcombe (I dont know where you are OP).

#7 ~sydblue~

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Ring the bus company. The driver has to stop at every stop on his route.

#8 toosenuf

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Busdriver is lazy, report him

#9 CountryFeral

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Call the bus company.

There is a good chance that the stop isn't actually a stop and the other driver has just been stopping there as a 'favour'.  

My bus driver used to do that for me when he realised that I was walking all the way down/up a big hill to be the only person at the stop - I did however on occasions have the bus sail right past me as there was a different driver on that day who was playing by the rules!  

I soon learned to put my arm out to attract attention in the morning 'just in case'!

#10 Madnesscraves

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Report him. I'm pretty sure he's not allowed to drive past if a child is waiting at the bus stop.

If anything, I reckon he wasn't paying attention and didn't see the child and kept driving on. He sounds like he didn't want to admit that he was distract by something else.

#11 amabanana

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

I would double check that he is supposed to stop there (change of timetable or your misunderstanding etc) and if he is supposed to stop there I would be complaining loudly to anyone who will listen, including my local paper.
Like PPs, my first thought when I read your post was poor Daniel Morcombe.

#12 Feral timtam

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Call the bus company and verify that he is allowed to not stop there.
If it's indicated on the time table there is a good chance that he is required to stop there even though HE deems it unsafe/inconvenient.

My husband is a bus driver and this screams 'lazy driver' to me.
If the drivers grounds are good enough most companies WILL either have the stop moved or that stop removed from the route.

If he IS required to stop there there is a good chance that this incident could cost the driver his job because it is a pretty major breach of contract.

#13 Guest_~Coffee~_*

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Yep lazy bus driver. Ring your local depot and speak to the manager. If they brush it off take it to the head office of the bus company and speak to the top manager.

#14 Relish*

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (amabanana @ 13/02/2013, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would double check that he is supposed to stop there (change of timetable or your misunderstanding etc) and if he is supposed to stop there I would be complaining loudly to anyone who will listen, including my local paper.
Like PPs, my first thought when I read your post was poor Daniel Morcombe.

Exactly this. makes me fume for you! I'm so glad you were waiting within sight of her.

#15 sheamus

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for your replies original.gif

Yes that is what happened to Daniel Morcombe with devestating consequences sad.gif
I have rung the bus company and the lady checked that the bus does stop there. She rang back and said it does and she has put a report out to all drivers to stop there. She said they must stop at all times if they see a child on any bus stop along that route. The school time table just says roads, not stops and this is a very clearly marked stop in that road.

I made it clear I didn't want him to get in trouble, it wasn't a formal complaint. She told me that I should wait at my normal stop and call back if he does not stop. She also stated that it was unacceptable he did that.

I really agree with the PP who said he wasn't watching. My DD even put her hand out and he just flew by. No way would I ever leave her there by herself sad.gif

Thanks for your replies, I'll let you all know if he stops (or doesn't stop) tomorrow.

BTW: We are on the NSW central coast

Edited by Omega_particle, 13 February 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#16 MintyBiscuit

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

I'm trying to figure out how that bus stop is meant for buses going in the opposite direction - surely if that was the case one of the buses would be driving on the wrong side of the road?

Call the bus company and get clarification, and if you've been at the correct bus stop then put in writing what happened this morning. Personally I wouldn't be jumping up and down just yet, but I'd definitely be looking for an answer as to who is in the right. Yes, he drove past her, but if he is genuinely under the impression that the bus stop is not to be used by his route then he may not have realised she was waiting for his bus.

ETA - just saw your update. Hopefully things are straightened out with him now and you don't have any further problems original.gif

Edited by HollyOllyOxenfree, 13 February 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#17 liveworkplay

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Glad you are getting it sorted.

School bus drivers, in my experience, have always gone above and beyond on school bus routes. I know of drivers who have called parents with their personal mobiles when kids have missed getting off and also dropping everyone else off and then retracing the route to drop kids who have missed their stops.

I think in our area they are mostly parents/grandparents themselves so treat the kids as they would want theirs treated.

#18 sheamus

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (HollyOllyOxenfree @ 13/02/2013, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm trying to figure out how that bus stop is meant for buses going in the opposite direction - surely if that was the case one of the buses would be driving on the wrong side of the road?

Call the bus company and get clarification, and if you've been at the correct bus stop then put in writing what happened this morning. Personally I wouldn't be jumping up and down just yet, but I'd definitely be looking for an answer as to who is in the right. Yes, he drove past her, but if he is genuinely under the impression that the bus stop is not to be used by his route then he may not have realised she was waiting for his bus.

This is what I have done and I agree. I don't want to the bus driver to get the sack or in trouble, just to know he can't fly past kids like that.

And I totally agree it made no sense to me at the time what he was saying about buses going in the the other direction. What I think he meant by "other direction" was the buses coming from across the intersection onto that road, rather than those turning onto the bus stop road from around the corner. So he was saying the bus stop is too hard to stop at as you turn the corner. This is bull cos it's at least 200 metres up from the corner.

#19 Funwith3

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Yep, reminds me of little Daniel morcombe. In fact, with the amount of publicity that case has received, I can't believe the bus driver actually admits to knowingly driving past your daughter. Call the bus company.

#20 *LucyE*

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

This is what I have done and I agree. I don't want to the bus driver to get the sack or in trouble, just to know he can't fly past kids like that.

Glad you're on to it.

I know you are concerned for the bus driver, but maybe this isn't the best position for his skills?  After all the publicity, community education and government policy changes in light of the Morcombe tragedy, it is quite shocking that he drove past your child.

Your child is fortunate to have a parent able to wait and watch them get picked up. What if it had been another child who isn't so fortunate?  

I understand everyone makes mistakes but what I find really unacceptable in your situation, is the bus driver tried to justify his actions and lay the blame on you. He just doesn't seem suited to his job.

ETA, I would inform the school and write a letter to the bus company. I know you've spoken to them but this sort of negligence needs to be documented.

Edited by *LucyE*, 13 February 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#21 CCLady

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

School bus drivers, in my experience, have always gone above and beyond on school bus routes.

Mine too. Ours created a new stop and pick up right outside my house when my two little ones started catching the bus. We since moved from there, and last year my DS had run home (their stop is just up the road) for a drink, went to run back and the bus had been. Next thing I hear the 'beep beep' and the bus had come up to pick him up and did a Uturn out the front. We are in the country though!

OP I think youve done the right thing and I agree with you in that he was obviously distracted. Thank God you were there to make sure she gets on.

#22 sheamus

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Update original.gif

We went to our usual bus stop this morning and thank goodness the other mum and her son were there. I explained to her what happened yesterday and she was adamant that what he did by driving past was just not on and she wasn't going to the next stop either as it was nigh impossible to drop off kids there.

When the bus came it stopped- same driver as yesterday, we put our kids on (I actually physically stood there while my daughter got on). He gave me a bit of a creepy smile as I explained that we can't go down to the other school stop as there was no parking. Then the driver proceeds to explain that I had better make sure I am standing there waving the bus down each time and not parked further up standing at my car as he and other drivers wont see me and wont stop (even though the other driver does stop regardless).

I just nodded. Doors closed, bus gone. The other mum said "he just had to get that little bit in about what you had to do, didn't he".  

He's the most passive aggressive, lazy driver. I want the happy Mon, Tues driver back. The one who doesn't drive past young children and get all defensive about it.

Edited by Omega_particle, 14 February 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#23 Betty_D

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Sounds like he's on a power trip. So disappointing  sad.gif

Despite the fact that you've reached a resolution, I agree with PPs that it is still worth documenting this. Please consider sending a letter to the school and bus company.

#24 JustBeige

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

Ring the bus company back.

Tell them what he said to you and to the other mother.

It is NOT ok.  

Also tell them that you expect him to be transferred off the route immediately as you do not want any harrassment from him and especially to your child and that his behaviour shows that he believes he is in the right to treat you how ever he likes.   He should NOT be doing a school run.

Did you speak to the school about it?  Sometimes if the school also puts in a complaint the bus companies take better and more thorough action

ETA: The school can also request a different driver due to complaints from parents

Edited by JustBeige, 14 February 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#25 Floral Arrangement

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

Seriously he is not a nice man. Peeved because he would have been spoken to. I would let the bus company know so it is on record. Fancy making an issue out of something that is basically his job. Glad the other mum was there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.