would you donate your eggs?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 bambiigrrl

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/conception...0211-2e97f.html                                                                                                                  Just intrested to see how many of you would consider doing this??? I find the idea really appealing, the only thing that concerns me is having a child out there that is mine, would i miss them? would i want to even know about them? then there is the hormonal hell for 3 months....i dunno...i do think it would be so gratifing to change someones life like that, to give someone such an amazing gift.... what does everyone think? would you do it?

Edited by bambiigrrl, 13 February 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#2 password123

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

I would do it if anyone wanted my eggs. Yes, I would wonder about the resulting child but I have my own to focus on.

#3 crayons

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 13/02/2013, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I wouldn't. I'd be too worried about whether or not someone else would raise them properly.

This is me to, I'm not sure that I could get past that.

#4 orangepeanut

I have a friend that is having trouble conceiving and they are looking into egg donation. I would do it for her in a heart beat, and told her this but I have been told I am too old  sad.gif

I also offered my eggs to my aunty when I was in my 20s and she was having fertility issues. but they declined.

So, yes I would, it would be a wonderful gift, but I would possibly only do it for a couple/person that I knew.

#5 Feral Grey Mare

I would not have donated my eggs (now WAY past their best before date) as I would have concerns that any children resulting from such a donation would be biologically partially mine but that I did not have any input into how such children would be raised.

#6 NSG

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Yes, but only after my own journey was over. I know how hard it is to desperately want a child and if we are lucky enough to have the two children we wish for I would then be happy to help someone else, particularly someone that I love and admire.

#7 Z-girls rock

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I always thought I would do it. I agree with you - I am not using them - would be nice to help someone else out.

But what worries me is the legal implications.

As I would not feel that the child was in any way mine it disturbs me that they would be able to know that I was their egg donor. then perhaps turn up on my door one day saying 'mummy??" (bit dramatic - but you know my point).

(this is the case in NSW - it might not be the case in other states: http://www0.health.nsw.gov.au/art/egg_embryo_donor_after.asp)

I completly understand the child's right to access their genetic information. but I would not see that child as my child so....

Because of this moral conflict I would not donate my eggs. the situation is just too complicated - but the answer for me is simple. it is a shame that this means that someone misses out on donated eggs.

#8 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Yes.

I am willing to but am unable to under our law (age, history).

I also would not consider it unless I was finished (which I am).

TBH if I could change the law to donate to my SIL I would. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way about someone they know and love.

#9 Angelot

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

I've seriously considered it.  For the time being, I've put it on hold because of my own health, and by the time I'm in a place to be ready again, I may well be too old.  I regret that, but some things are out of my control!

#10 AllyK81

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Yes, I would, but only to someone I know really well. A very close friend or family member.

#11 amabanana

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

No, I wouldn't it.

I would like to think that I would but there are a few things that I don't like: having no control over 'my' baby/child and how they are raised, having no relationship with them, knowing that they may come to see my later and how that would affect me emotionally, that my children would have half-siblings they don't know, that I don't like the hormones and medical procedures that I would have to go through and that my family would have to bear the brunt of my horrible moods!  As you can see, I have thought about this quite a lot.

#12 livvie7586

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

No i wouldn't, which is quite often seen as the selfish option here.  Since having kids of our own DH and i can't imagine having a sibling to our children wandering around.

However, for the right person, i would happily be a surrogate, as long as the child was not genetically mine

#13 ~polly~

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (NSG @ 13/02/2013, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but only after my own journey was over. I know how hard it is to desperately want a child and if we are lucky enough to have the two children we wish for I would then be happy to help someone else, particularly someone that I love and admire.

I agree with this.  And would probably only donate to family members

#14 Madeline's Mum

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

I absolutely would. I know the pain all too well about having the dreams of a family go down the drain and feeling like a failure. Fortunately we've been blessed with a living child.

Unfortunately, I don't think I would ever pass the medical tests. But it is something ill be investigating deeply in about 2 years time.

#15 haras1972

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Unfortunately, the procedure and hormones and length of time involved, would be a major stumbling block for me. Men just get the cup, but having read about the process and risks and discomfort etc, I'd have to say no.

But I'm too old anyway...

#16 steppy

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

I looked into this once with the intention to donate, but I found the personal health risks just too high. If I were a man I'd donate sperm in a heartbeat. SO easy.

#17 deejie

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I don't think I could do it outside of immediate family. Even then, it would be a struggle. I cannot help but feel that the child would be 'mine' and a sibling to my two sons.

I could happily be a surrogate and carry a baby that was not conceived using my eggs though.

#18 Arthur or Martha

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Edited by ambwrose, 03 September 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#19 icekool

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

If the procedure and hormones and length of time involved is required, probably not.

If it was just a cup and easy, then yes. It is just an egg after all to me. It can't survive the other half or 9 months outside the utero. After all, it will make someone elses' life wonderful.

#20 IVF Baby

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

We have two left on ice and when we are able to, 12 months after this one is born, we will be donating.  After going through the fertility battle we did, I can face destroying them, especially if someone is able to get a lovely child just like we got our two.  Yes, there will be a full blooded child out there, but the parents who raise them are their mum and dad, not us.  Best gift you can give someone is life and love.

#21 Hrumph

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I am sure I am not going to phrase this properly and/or get a few backs up with my question but, as a childless not by choice woman due to ovarian issues, I am struggling to understand a viewpoint ...

While I can understand the reluctance to donate on medical grounds (it is one hell of a process after all!), there seems to be a high percentage of women who do not want to donate purely because they fear how "their" child is going to be raised or that they would have no control over how the child resulting from the donation was raised (while the term "my" was only used by one PP, I got the impression that the view of other PP's was that the child would be "theirs").  Aside from the genetic link, how is the child "yours" (and I ask this with an enquiring tone, no spite intended at all)?  Also, given that the receipient is having to rely on donation, surely that would indicate that the child is very VERY much wanted and loved before it is even conceived?  Wouldn't this allay your fears about how it is raised somewhat?  

As I said, I ask with genuine interest, no spite or anger or whatever you want to call it.  I just want to be educated about "the otherside of the fence"

#22 Dresden

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

No.

#23 PigNewton

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Sure, if I wasn't too old.
We're actually going one step further and have told our FS that if we have any embryos left after our IVF journey finishes one way or the other, we'd like to donate them. I'll be too old to use them myself after that, and if it makes another couple's dream come true and gives that embryo a chance at life, why not?

ETA
While I can understand the reluctance to donate on medical grounds (it is one hell of a process after all!), there seems to be a high percentage of women who do not want to donate purely because they fear how "their" child is going to be raised or that they would have no control over how the child resulting from the donation was raised (while the term "my" was only used by one PP, I got the impression that the view of other PP's was that the child would be "theirs"). Aside from the genetic link, how is the child "yours" (and I ask this with an enquiring tone, no spite intended at all)? Also, given that the receipient is having to rely on donation, surely that would indicate that the child is very VERY much wanted and loved before it is even conceived? Wouldn't this allay your fears about how it is raised somewhat?

That was exactly my thought process. I know how much we went through to have DS and how much we're about to go through to maybe give him a sibling. Any couple willing to do that stuff REALLY wants a child. I also don't view embryos as "mine", more like a potential person in their own right.

Edited by redkris, 13 February 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#24 PrincessPinkenIt

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Yes, and I have.

#25 seayork2002

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

No, because I do not beleive a persons right to a child is more important than a childs right to the biological natural right to be born, this is my opinion alone and I do not care what others do or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.