did you give your 12 month old cows milk?
or stick to formula?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 stressnless9

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

with my little one coming up 12 months, i have heard a lot of 'he doesnt need formula anymore etc'

I intend on giving formula depending on his needs not because hes 1 now and doesn't all of a sudden need it?  His 7th tooth coming through plus being sick means for days he would only drink formula.

Also curious as to what milk (not formula) everyone gives their babies/toddlers? do you go for cows milk? And what do you give if your little one is lactose intolerant? I have given non baby custard a couple of times which he power spewed up both times so im not sure if hes a little lactose intolerant ( a lot of it both sides of our families) - they formula i use is cows milk based but it was explained to me that its no where near as bad as normal milk etc (if that makes sense?)

#2 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

My DS was transitioned over to cows milk from 10 months.  In Canada their recommendations are from 10 months not 12 months, so I transitioned earlier.  He was on full cows milk by 11 months.

#3 A-ZMum

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

I'm still breast-feeding my 14 month old...he started having cows milk on cereal from about 11 months.  At 12 months I started giving him normal cows milk in a bottle.  He now has a breast feed in the morning and sippy-cups of cows milk during the day.

#4 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yes, and dairy products like cheese, yoghurt, sour cream, ice cream etc.  And human milk (mine to be precise).  And stuff made out of goat and sheep milk.

Barring any specific health or developmental issues I don't see the point of formula made in a factory out of cows milk, with extra vitamins and minerals, when you can just give them cows milk and food with vitamins and minerals in it.

#5 Peppery

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

When DD was 12 months old i offered her cows milk instead of formula. I had intended to transition her over by offering formula bottle every second bottle but once she had cows milk she refused to drink formula so i then just offered cows milk.

#6 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I started putting cows milk on cereal around 10 months.

DD1 I started weening her onto cows milk at 12 months. I did half and half in the bottle for a few days and then straight cows milk.

DD2 and 3 were on formula till around 16 months. I think with DD3 we had run out of formula so she got a bottle of cows milk.. no slow weening.The third child dose it tough. lol

#7 BabeBlossom

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

The MCHN in my area encourage weaning from formula around 12 months, unless medically necessary, on to dairy. Not replacing bottles of formula with milk but giving them their 3 serves of dairy a day, so could be milk, cheese, yoghurt etc in any combination. Too much milk fills them up so they eat less food and get less of the other nutrients they need.
If you are worried about lactose intolerance you should see a doctor, giving other milks needs to be done under guidance as dairy also provides protein etc. which needs to be made up in other ways.
DD is lactose(& soy) intolerant and has a calcium enriched rice milk and calcium supplement.

#8 stressnless9

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

my main concern is when hes not eating properly? as soon as a tooth starts, he gets a cold etc he flat out refuses food. what should i do then? I just figured at least hes getting vitamins & minerals? Otherwise he is a very healthy eater, we very rarely eat any prepackaged foods due to allergies etc.

#9 stressnless9

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

my main concern is when hes not eating properly? as soon as a tooth starts, he gets a cold etc he flat out refuses food. what should i do then? I just figured at least hes getting vitamins & minerals? Otherwise he is a very healthy eater, we very rarely eat any prepackaged foods due to allergies etc.

#10 causeway

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

DD is 15 months and has formula before going to bed at night. Occassionally, she will have a bottle in the afternoon if she needs it before a nap. She is offered cows milk at breakfast (she doesnt drink much) and cows milk at lunch. I think I need to start mixing milk & formula to transition her to 100% cows milk.

#11 icekool

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

DD is fully b.fed but introduced milk on cereal at about 10/11 months or so. After 12 months, I give her milk in a cup during the day and meals.
DS1 was fully bfed till he was 12 months, then toddler formula as he was a fussy eater and didn't eat a variety of food.

#12 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

I think this is the difference between a baby and a toddler (whenever that occurs).

Toddlers seem to have phases of eating everything in sight, then nothing, then wanting only grapes etc.  It all balances out if you keep offering healthy food and make sure they have "mealtimes" and see you eating sensibly.  I struggle with this - as I want to make sure he eats "enough" (sleep issues) but I do believe its better for them to learn to trust their own bodies.

If there is a real concern about hydration (gastro etc) then I think you are better off with pedialyte or similar than filling them up with cows milk anyway.

#13 Penguin78

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (stressnless9 @ 13/02/2013, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They eat when they are hungry original.gif . Just keep offering a range of healthy foods, and your LO will eat if they need to. I know when i have a cold i don't like eating much anyway. Best not to replace milk with food, it will set a bad habit. If there is a tooth coming in, maybe more mushed up or pureed food might be taken more then solid.

#14 Ice Queen

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I have always treated milk and dairy as just another food to introduce into my babies diets, not as a replacement for b'milk or formula.

Both were eating dairy from 6mo in the form of ricotta, cheese grated on food and yogurt.  From about 8mo I added small amounts of milk to their breakfast cereal and DD was even having a small sippy cup of milk with her breakfast (after her morning b'feed) from very early on.  It never replaced the vitamins they were getting from breastmilk or formula.

By the time they were 12mo I was very confident that we had no lactose issues and I just added a morning drink of milk to their diet.  With DS to transition off the formula, I gradually added milk to his morning bottle, adding less formula each day.  Transition took about a week and now he doesn't really have a morning bottle, just a sippy cup with breakfast.  

I only buy non-homogenised full fat milk from a local dairy for my kids.  

If a baby is having a good balanced diet then I don't see why you would worry about formula.  If they are teething and are off their food for a day or two, no big deal as long as they are healthy.  I would never 'replace' a meal with milk or formula to fill a baby or child up.  It is just too easy for them to insist upon milk rather than food......a road I have witnessed other mums go down and regret.   My DS is a very healthy eater, if he goes off his food for a day or two it wouldn't worry me in the slightest, I know he is healthy.

#15 elizabethany

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

We swapped out to normal full cream cows milk from 12 months, and only used formula for daycare, as it was powdered.

If you are concerned about lactose intolerance, see your GP about getting tested for it.

#16 PurpleNess

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Started full fat cows milk on cereal about 10 months & then for the last tin of formula I had I started mixing in cows milk so making up less formula & topping up with cows milk.
DS loved it so the transition to full cows milk was easy & made just after he turned 1.

He also has days where he doesn't eat much and as PP says, he won't starve, just offer soft food like fresh cool fruit, yoghurt etc. My DS likes to suck on rice cruskits when he's teething too, I often add hommus, vegemite, cream cheese or avocado to it.

#17 SusieGreen

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

At 12mths it was good buy formula and goodbye bottle  original.gif

Well, for 3 of 4 anyway..lol

#18 Justaduck

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

We have not had to gone down the formula path, so I switched a few weeks ago (for daytime feeds) when bub was just over 11mths. I wanted to trial her on it, that way if there were any issues I could mention it to Dr when she gets her 1yr old needles.

For me it is more of a convenience, I can now give her cereal with milk which I couldn't do before as I never have been able to express much.

Will add too that DD kept spewing a lot with the Vaalia baby yoghurt so I bought lactose free which she took to easy. Then tried her on standard yoghurt (not baby, not lactose free) and she has been fine with it.

#19 Beancat

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

yes did this for both.  used up the last tin at 12 months then straight to full cream home brank cow's milk.

Our MCHN says the toddler formula is a waste of money and unecessary.  Started using cows milk  in cooking (and cheese) and fed yoghurt from 6 months.  The new eating guidelines are to offer everything except whole nuts from 6 months now.

If you think your LO is lactose intolerant see your GP

#20 adl

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

For some reason I thought cows milk from 7 months now?  Anyway I did but as my DS was on the slim side and wasnt interested in food we kept at the formula till he picked up eating more than just for fun... then it was cows milk from say 15mths until just recently he has decided to drop night time milk at 2.5yrs...

#21 Katie_bella

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

DD had full fat cows milk and other dairy products from 7 months while being BF. Small cups of cows milk to drink from 10 months and has had two cups/day of cows milk (morning and night) since weaning at 12 months.

No issues here and we also have an allergy ridden family.
Just try your LO on cheese/yogurt and small sips of cows milk and go from there. If they have lactose intolerance they usually show symptoms while on a cows milk based formula.

#22 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

DS was using cows milk in solid food from about 10/11 months (on Weetbix, etc), and we switched to cows milk when the formula ran out a few days after his first birthday. Have never purchased 'toddler' milk.

#23 stressnless9

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

i was going to gp in the next few weeks once this tooth is up and he gets over his ear/chest infection. I have been a little worried about taking him for the test as someone told me its a blood test? hes allergic to all nuts and when he had the blood test it was awful couldnt get blood out first arm went to the next couldnt get any out of there so back to the first. by the time it was finally over he had cried so much he sobbed for about an hour after, never felt so guilty in my life.

his bottle is also his comfort thing at sleep times he would never take a dummy,snuggie and from 5 months old would refuse to let me hold him while he drank his bottle and would fall asleep that way....(i know its a no no for sids but its the only thing that would work) How long before i should stop the bottle feeds for him to fall asleep?

my SS was 3.5 before i convinced DP to stop letting him drink formula to fall asleep.....no way am i going down that road!!! I know most kids have some kind of comfort that at some stage they need to get rid of especially because dummies and bottles arent good for their teeth for so long....

sorry so many questions i really dont want to do the wrong thing by him and only make it harder later on

#24 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I BF both my kids, but at around 11-12 months of age, I introduced cows milk for some meals.

However, I have a few friends who also BF and instead of introducing cows milk at 12 months, they started using toddler formula (is that what's it's called??) and kept using it as the milk substitute until their kids were 2-3 years of age, swapping over to cows milk then.  Have no idea why they did that, they just did.

#25 Ice Queen

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (stressnless9 @ 13/02/2013, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i was going to gp in the next few weeks once this tooth is up and he gets over his ear/chest infection. I have been a little worried about taking him for the test as someone told me its a blood test? hes allergic to all nuts and when he had the blood test it was awful couldnt get blood out first arm went to the next couldnt get any out of there so back to the first. by the time it was finally over he had cried so much he sobbed for about an hour after, never felt so guilty in my life.

Is he eating yogurt and cheese happily?  With regard to introducing cows milk, do it slowly.  I think a lot of mums make the mistake of stopping formula/bm and giving them a big giant bottle of full cream milk and then putting the inevitable stomach ache down to 'lactose intolerance'.  Put it on his breakfast and see what happens.  If you have real reason to believe he is intolerant, well a blood test is the lesser of two evils.  An hour of crying rather than potentially months of stomach issues etc.

Don't feel so stressed about it all.  You sound like you are doing fine.  With regard to havinga bottle for sleep, well only you can answer that question.  If he will got to sleep without it , then remove it but if the angst is more that you can cope with for now, then do what works.  I always had bubs that fell asleep on their own which I am eternally grateful for but there are plenty of mums breastfeeding their bubs to sleep at this age so it isn't much different.  But longterm, no it isnt a great habit and bad for their teeth but noone wants a baby screaming for an hour everynight to go to sleep.  

Just do everything one step at a time, walk, don't run.  Deal with introducing the cows milk first and making sure there is no intolerance, then deal with getting rid of formula and finally, deal with bottles to sleep.  Dont try everything at once.....sure road to disaster!  biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.