Book/Author suggestions for DH

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ~spirited~

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

DH has never been much of a reader, but has recently bought a kobo and can't put it down. He asked me to gift him a kobo book for valentines day. Ideally the first of a series would be great, so that he doesn't um and ah over what book to read next.

He likes crime stuff (especially mafia/true crime), but his favourite book is American Psycho. He has read a few other Bret Easton Ellis books as well (Less than Zero, Rules of Attraction). He just read The Shining and enjoyed that. He's currently reading Bloody Valentine by James Patterson because kobo kept suggesting it to him. He seems to be enjoying it, he is halfway through already.

He also is a big fan of bond movies, but hasn't ready any of the books.

Suggestions?

#2 PurpleNess

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Ha I was coming in to say James Patterson purely cause he's an easy read.
MY DH is not a reader either and his NY resolution was to read more so he's half way through Now you see Her, at my recommendation.

I'm  not a big crime reader but what about the Kathy Reich ( Bones) series?

#3 niggles

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

The Game of Thrones series would keep him busy for a good while.

#4 ~spirited~

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (PurpleNess @ 13/02/2013, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha I was coming in to say James Patterson purely cause he's an easy read.
MY DH is not a reader either and his NY resolution was to read more so he's half way through Now you see Her, at my recommendation.

I'm  not a big crime reader but what about the Kathy Reich ( Bones) series?

Does James Patterson have a series? Or are they stand alone books? I was actually thinking of Bloody Valentine myself until he told me he'd bought it a few days ago!

Will look into the Bones series, thanks.

QUOTE (niggles @ 13/02/2013, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Game of Thrones series would keep him busy for a good while.

We watched the first season and he hated it! I'm sure the books are better, but I don't think he'd be too impressed...

Edited by ~spirited~, 13 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Harlen Coben also does crime which is easy to read.

#6 PurpleNess

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

James writes all sorts of stuff - there is the Alex Cross Series, Michael Bennett , Maximum Ride ( Im reading now & quite different to Crime stuff )

Check out his web page http://www.jamespatterson.com/index.php#.URsAnqU4t8E

#7 Georgie01

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

James Patterson has the Alex Cross series and the Women's Murder Club series as well as stand alone novels. I'll confess to being completely sucked in by the Alex Cross ones and I suspect that I'll get around to the Women's Murder Club ones eventually (have read the first one).

What about Thomas Harris - Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon etc. they are similar in style to James Patterson but a little heavier (and gorier). I haven't read much like American Psycho, mainly because it's the one book I really wish I'd never read, 20 years on I still find the ideas revoltingly disturbing... Stephen King I'm fine with though.

#8 madmax1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

How about the Passage by Justin Cronin? This is s trilogy the second book just came out. Its very good reading and pretty exciting.

#9 ~spirited~

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (PrincessPeach @ 13/02/2013, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Harlen Coben also does crime which is easy to read.

Thanks, will check out.

QUOTE (PurpleNess @ 13/02/2013, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
James writes all sorts of stuff - there is the Alex Cross Series, Michael Bennett , Maximum Ride ( Im reading now & quite different to Crime stuff )

Check out his web page http://www.jamespatterson.com/index.php#.URsAnqU4t8E

Thanks

QUOTE (Georgie01 @ 13/02/2013, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
James Patterson has the Alex Cross series and the Women's Murder Club series as well as stand alone novels. I'll confess to being completely sucked in by the Alex Cross ones and I suspect that I'll get around to the Women's Murder Club ones eventually (have read the first one).

What about Thomas Harris - Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon etc. they are similar in style to James Patterson but a little heavier (and gorier). I haven't read much like American Psycho, mainly because it's the one book I really wish I'd never read, 20 years on I still find the ideas revoltingly disturbing... Stephen King I'm fine with though.

I'll have a look at the Alex Cross series, thanks.

I hadn't thought of Thomas Harris, I know I've read a few of his, not sure if DH has. I don't think so, he can count the number of books he's finished on one hand.

I know what you mean about American Psycho. He loves the movie, too. Ugh.

#10 RunDMC

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Author Vince Flynn, great series both DH and I enjoy. Fast paced, political CIA thriller, central characters run through the series.

Eta best read in order as the characters develop, just read that they are turning American assassin into a movie.

Edited by RunDMC, 13 February 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#11 ~spirited~

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (madmax1 @ 13/02/2013, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about the Passage by Justin Cronin? This is s trilogy the second book just came out. Its very good reading and pretty exciting.

Sorry, must have missed your post! Will have a look, thanks.

QUOTE (RunDMC @ 13/02/2013, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Author Vince Flynn, great series both DH and I enjoy. Fast paced, political CIA thriller, central characters run through the series.

Eta best read in order as the characters develop, just read that they are turning American assassin into a movie.

Thanks, will check them out. Are they similar to homeland? He wasn't the biggest fan...

#12 FiveAus

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Anything by Bryce Courtenay. Four Fires is particularly good but almost all of his books are fabulous. Some have sequels, and he has one trilogy which starts with The Potato Factory.

#13 BadCat

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

If he enjoyed The Shining he might like another Stephen King book.  Most of his early stuff is really good.  The Stand is one of my favourites but Dead Zone, Carrie, Salem's Lot, Firestarter, all good stuff.

#14 Ferelsmegz

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Have a look at Matthew Reilly - I love his books they have the Scarecrow and Jack West series.

#15 Gumnut82

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Lee Child's Jack Reacher series are all easy to read. Similar authors: David Baldacci, Nelson DeMille, Michael Connelly. There's also Tom Clancy and any of the Clive Cussler series'.

#16 ~spirited~

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (O TheHugeManatee @ 13/02/2013, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If he enjoyed The Shining he might like another Stephen King book.  Most of his early stuff is really good.  The Stand is one of my favourites but Dead Zone, Carrie, Salem's Lot, Firestarter, all good stuff.

I had considered that. I've only read Carrie, but will look at the others. He has a very old copy of It, but I don't think he's ever read it.

QUOTE (Mrs Optimus @ 13/02/2013, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have a look at Matthew Reilly - I love his books they have the Scarecrow and Jack West series.

Thanks

QUOTE (Gumnut82 @ 13/02/2013, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lee Child's Jack Reacher series are all easy to read. Similar authors: David Baldacci, Nelson DeMille, Michael Connelly. There's also Tom Clancy and any of the Clive Cussler series'.

I was looking at the Jack Reacher series. Are they very actiony though? Apart from bond movies he isn't really into action, so I don't think anything too 'tough guy' would be right for him.

#17 AMPSyd

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Check out if your local library has an ebook collection. Kobos arec ompatible with library ebook collections and borrowing a ebook is an easy way to try different authors and genres without spending any money (I have my Kobo connected to the computer now having just downloaded a book - mine is an older Kobo).

Love library ebook collections  biggrin.gif

#18 ~spirited~

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (AMPSyd @ 13/02/2013, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check out if your local library has an ebook collection. Kobos arec ompatible with library ebook collections and borrowing a ebook is an easy way to try different authors and genres without spending any money (I have my Kobo connected to the computer now having just downloaded a book - mine is an older Kobo).

Love library ebook collections  biggrin.gif

Good idea! I'll tell him to check the library next to his work, he tends to go there rather than our local.

#19 andyk

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

For very easy reading try Robert G Barrett's series on Les Norton. (Australian, very light hearted but fun)

#20 FiveAus

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

The Jack Reacher books aren't too action packed. Jack is more of a thinker and a traveller than a do-er.
Matthew Reilly, on the other hand, are page after page of gruesome deaths, unrealistic scenarios and very, very like a blockbuster action movie waiting to be made.

Two of Stephen Kings latest books are fabulous.....11/22/63, which is about a guy who travels back in time to try and stop the assassination of JFK. And Under The Dome, his previous novel. Both really excellent reads.

Edited by FiveAus, 13 February 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#21 *Ker*

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Matthew Reilly isn't an easy read though. If he's not a big reader, he probably won't make it through a Reilly. I like him, but I read a LOT and never put a book down until I'm done.

James Patterson is an easy read, and mindless really, but I love them. Also try Patricia Cornwall, Alex Kava and Kathy Reichs. Umm, Karin Slaughter too?

Also check whether you can find some of the Aussie True crimes books on ebook. I just finished CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (Volume 2). I have it in proper book form (I'm a paper book purist), but it's pretty popular, so you should be able to get it. It's got about 30 true crime cases from australia in it. Also look for anything by Paul Kidd. He does the aussie true crime books - one I can remember offhand is "Never to be released". It's written about those killers whose crimes were so heinous that the judge said they were never to be released. VERY good reads, if heart wrenching at times. The Anita Cobby section had me sobbing, along with Janine Balding and Ebony Simpson.

I'm a crime/true crime nut, as you can probably tell.

#22 FiveAus

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (*Ker* @ 13/02/2013, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matthew Reilly isn't an easy read though. If he's not a big reader, he probably won't make it through a Reilly. I like him, but I read a LOT and never put a book down until I'm done.

James Patterson is an easy read, and mindless really, but I love them. Also try Patricia Cornwall, Alex Kava and Kathy Reichs. Umm, Karin Slaughter too?

Also check whether you can find some of the Aussie True crimes books on ebook. I just finished CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (Volume 2). I have it in proper book form (I'm a paper book purist), but it's pretty popular, so you should be able to get it. It's got about 30 true crime cases from australia in it. Also look for anything by Paul Kidd. He does the aussie true crime books - one I can remember offhand is "Never to be released". It's written about those killers whose crimes were so heinous that the judge said they were never to be released. VERY good reads, if heart wrenching at times. The Anita Cobby section had me sobbing, along with Janine Balding and Ebony Simpson.

I'm a crime/true crime nut, as you can probably tell.

You sound like my best friend. We share a Kindle account and just about all she buys is crime. I think she has some fetish about killing and cops or something. Her latest passion is European crime fiction.
I can read one or two then have to move on to something else. I like variety.......a bit of romance, a bit of history, something about animals, good family drama, big sweeping sagas, then onto a bit of fantasy.

#23 MagneticPoetry

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Jeffrey Deaver is quite good, I've enjoyed those, and he's done quite a lot with the same character (Lincoln Rymes), although they do stand alone.

#24 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I think Lee Child would be good. It's action, but not stupidly so

#25 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

My DH doesn't mind Ben Elton when he reads, which isn't often.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.