Giving Valentine gifts and cards to your children?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 blackbird

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I just saw a comment from a FB page asking, "who is sending cards to there kids?"

And I just thought huh?  huh.gif

others got on to say they are giving chocolates to there kids and other things, Im all for afternoon tea and cup cakes but cards to your kids?

#2 LynnyP

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

No.  I don't give them to my husband either.

If I see a heart shaped chocolate in the shop I might buy one for my daughter because she likes hearts.  I am going to give her money for the prefects cupcake stall tomorrow, but I would give her money for a cupcake stall if they were zombie themed cupcakes too.

#3 CountryFeral

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Their.

#4 Peppery

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

I intend on buying DD a box of chocolates so we can sit together and eat them. I am a single mum so I won't be getting anything.

I wouldn't buy her a card though

#5 *Lib*

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I couldn't get a card.....I left it too late, I got her a smiggle voucher and a one direction mag.

#6 blackbird

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 13/02/2013, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Their.

Yes I noticed, after I posted and I could not be stuffed editing but thank you for pointing that out.

I am on medication for my back injury and still in great pain so, forgiveness please...

#7 tickledpink72

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Nope.  Wouldn't occur to me, and I find it a little weird that anyone would.

#8 i-candi

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

huh.gif  Valentine gifts for your own kids????

No, I don't even give DH anything.

#9 blackbird

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Peppery @ 13/02/2013, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I intend on buying DD a box of chocolates so we can sit together and eat them. I am a single mum so I won't be getting anything.

I wouldn't buy her a card though

That is a good excuse for chocolate wink.gif

#10 blackbird

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

I kind of picture a mum giving her 12 year old son a card and him going, "ew mum, seriously?"

#11 OneProudMum

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

I told DS (almost 9) it's tradition for all boys who aren't married to pick some flowers and make their mums breakfast in bed on Valentines Day. He better deliver the goods or else!

#12 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (i-candi @ 13/02/2013, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
huh.gif  Valentine gifts for your own kids????

No, I don't even give DH anything.

This for me too

#13 Funwith3

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I hadn't thought of doing it... I might get them a little treat tomorrow and give it to them after school (thanks to this thread).

To the PP's who think it's weird or gross, why? It's about acknowledging the person you love, isn't it?

#14 Chelli

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

I think it might be quite an American concept to give something to your own children for Valentine's Day. unsure.gif

I knew someone who once sent their child flowers from a "secret admirer" as they had broken up with their boyfriend not long before and her mum wanted to cheer her up. It totally backfired as the poor kid was convinced she was being watched by a stalker laughing2.gif

#15 Fairey

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

My parents bought my sister and I a box of chocolates each year for Valentines Day when we were kids. No cards, just the box of ferroro rocher's every year.
They were told they could definitely not have children so wanted us to know how much they loved us (naw...  blush.gif )

I'm sorry if people think this is weird or gross.

#16 blackbird

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Actually the card giving at all is a only from the last 80 years or so, before that people would ,  have a ball and young people would be paired up in a mock betrothal for one year often resulting in marriage.

Not sure why it changed (haven't googled yet) but I was reading an old extract in the paper about some one who was complaining about the young people today wrecking the tradition of Valentines day by passing  out gifts and cards and heaven forbid even sometimes anonymously.

It is about a priest (?) who against the wishes of the powers that be decide young men were better soldiers if unwed, continued to wed young people who were in love, he was executed and made a Saint.

So yeah bit weird asking your kid to be your Valentine because you feel lonely sad.gif

But I have heard that it may have come from America to do that

Edited by blackbird, 13 February 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#17 CountryFeral

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (blackbird @ 13/02/2013, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I noticed, after I posted and I could not be stuffed editing but thank you for pointing that out.

I am on medication for my back injury and still in great pain so, forgiveness please...

Forgiveness granted.

I will send you a virtual box heart shaped chocolates and a nauseating hallmark poem... tomorrow obviously!

#18 blackbird

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 13/02/2013, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forgiveness granted.

I will send you a virtual box heart shaped chocolates and a nauseating hallmark poem... tomorrow obviously!

haha!!  blush.gif   laughing2.gif

#19 CountryFeral

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Actually blackbird I found a better card - in the true spirit of the day, you can have it right now I think..

#20 sa5ha

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (blackbird @ 13/02/2013, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I kind of picture a mum giving her 12 year old son a card and him going, "ew mum, seriously?"

+1

Seems a little strange to me. Valentines Day is for lovers, not for children!
(If you can be bothered with it at all)

#21 BadCat

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Weird.

To me V Day is about celecrating your romantic love and is pretty much a marketing ploy aimed at teenagers who think the love they have discovered is something that nobody else in the whole world has ever felt.

I would never even think of giving something to the kids.  I don't give anything to DH either.

#22 blackbird

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thanks countrymel, well done, that's a keeper biggrin.gif

#23 baddmammajamma

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

American here...and this note is way more than anyone needs to know!

We don't give each other or our kids valentines in our family, though my mother does send them to the kids from the U.S., and they seem to enjoy them.

What is very common in American schools is kids giving out little paper valentines (either handmade or store bought ones, often "character"-based) and/or very small treats to their classmates. It's not uncommon for a teacher to give children a class list so that they can address little valentines to each classmate. Of course, giving is not mandatory, but if you choose to give, you give to the entire class.

Back in the olden days, when schools were less considerate, kids were not directed to give to everyone. My parents have stories of some kids received 2 dozen valentines, while other kids received zero. Stuff like that can really crush a person. I'm glad that the clear trend is toward an "all or nothing" policy.

Interestingly, I have so many recollections of receiving valentines at school, but no recollections of receiving Christmas lollies or Easter chocolates at school from classmates, something that is popular my children's school here.

Anyway, as part of cross-cultural appreciation, my Aussie-American children will be giving a small treat to each of their classmates tomorrow (their idea): an individual Fredo covered with heart stickers & a little Happy Valentine's Day note.

Now, I know that the MAMs (Mums Against Minties) might not approve, but that's been well covered in another thread...

#24 twinboys

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

My kids love the idea of Valentines day for 'mum and dad only' and last year I made a family Valentines special dinner with flowers on the table, candles and choc hearts and the boys both dressed up.
This year DH is away for work so I will still do a Valentines dinner for the 3 of us but not as big a deal as last year.

My boys love having 'restaurant meals' at home and having the table all set up with candles.

#25 blackbird

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

baddmammajamma- thank you for sharing that, come to think of it I remember now the horror of school Valentines days, I like your idea thats cute original.gif

If my kids made something in school I wouldn't think its weird because they are kids but I would not give them I card.

I might get my boyfriend a bottle of vodka, he isn't into chocolate wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.