Death penalty hypothetical

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Imagine if you will, a few years from now, scientists have developed a foolproof test for truth.  A lie detector, a truth serum?  Doesn't matter what it is.  It is infallible.  It gets the truth of the matter every time.  (Please try not to get bogged down by the fact that such a thing may never be possible, assume it is.)

A violent repeat offender (murderer, rapist) is found guilty by way of this truth device.  Using the device authorities are able to ascertain that the offender has no remorse and fully intends to go on with his wicked ways should he ever be released from prison.  He is not mentally ill, he's just a nasty b*st*rd.

Do you support the death penalty in a case like this?

#2 Feraldadathome

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

No. Imprisonment for life.

#3 Therese

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

No. I also think he should be imprisoned for life.

#4 Angelot

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

No.

#5 PrincessPeach

Given the controversy over the release of this prisoner in Qld, I can see how the death penalty is necessary in certain circumstances.

#6 Bomber girl

Yes. Why should we have to pay to keep him alive?

#7 Oriental lily

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

No.

I don't support the death penalty under any circumstances.

Tough sentences though thats has the safety of the community as the highest priority though I support.which would mean more sentences withour parole.

Edited by Oriental lily, 14 February 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#8 Futureself

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

No

Part of me wants to, as to me someone like that has already lost part of their humanity, but no, I cannot support the death penalty.

#9 Chaos in stereo

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

No. I don't think we have the right to decide whether he lives or not, no matter how heinous the crime.

#10 Bluenomi

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Yes. It costs a fortune to keep people in prison and quite often they get a pretty nice life besides the fact they can't leave. Then there is the fact they can escape or do deals to get released. I'd prefer to get rid of them and spend that money helping the victims and their families

#11 elizabethany

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

No, and I wouldn't support using your truth serum either.

#12 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (PrincessPeach @ 14/02/2013, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given the controversy over the release of this prisoner in Qld, I can see how the death penalty is necessary in certain circumstances.

Please elaborate how killing someone is necessary.

I do not agree with the death penalty. I don't think any person has the right to determine someone else's death because of an act they committed.

#13 JustBeige

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yes. It costs a fortune to keep people in prison and quite often they get a pretty nice life besides the fact they can't leave. Then there is the fact they can escape or do deals to get released. I'd prefer to get rid of them and spend that money helping the victims and their families
this is what I think also in a perfect world, where we can use this infallible test to determine absolute truth.

#14 kpingitquiet

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Nah, as vengeance-minded as I am, I still can't get around the idea of killing to punish for killing, etc. It's kind of the super-magnified version of spanking your children to teach them not to hit unsure.gif

That and I've seen and read Minority Report. There's always a possibility for error.  ph34r.gif

#15 BadCat

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (elizabethany @ 14/02/2013, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, and I wouldn't support using your truth serum either.

Why would you not support an infallible truth serum?

#16 AngryBird

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

No. I don't support the death penalty in any situation.
I also don't think we know enough about the human brain to be able to say someone who commits such acts is not mentally ill, just evil. We have such a small understanding of mental illness as it is,  we're in no position to determine what it does and does not do to a person's thought processes, actions and behaviours.

#17 71Cath

QUOTE (kpingitquiet @ 14/02/2013, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah, as vengeance-minded as I am, I still can't get around the idea of killing to punish for killing, etc. It's kind of the super-magnified version of spanking your children to teach them not to hit unsure.gif

I think this too.

#18 elizabethany

QUOTE (O TheHugeManatee @ 14/02/2013, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would you not support an infallible truth serum?

Because I belive in the right to remain silent and the right against self incrimination.  I think that we all keep secrets and it is not always in someones best interests for those to become public.  People have a right to the privacy of their own heads, since that is all the privacy we have left.

#19 Oriental lily

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I agree elizabethany.

It would be like a rape of your thoughts.

Your inner mind and thoughts shoud be the one place you can protect from being tampered with.

#20 Feral Borgia

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

No.

The interests of justice (in punishing him) and of society (in being safe from dangerous criminals) are served by imprisoning him - for life if necessary. The death penalty is barbaric and unnecessary.

(and to the PP who mentioned cost, the American exerience is that it costs more to execute than it does to imprison them for life)

EFS

Edited by Lucretia Borgia, 14 February 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#21 spellfall

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

I think yes. However I am categorically against any forms of torture, no matter the crime. If a heinous crime could be proved beyond any doubt (not just reasonable) then I support the death penalty.

What about the 'inner parts' of the murdered or raped? I'd sure like to protect those too.

#22 Cat People

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

No.  

Life long jail yes.  But not the death penalty unless it's what the perpetrator actually wanted him/herself.

#23 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (GoneWithTheWhinge @ 14/02/2013, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please elaborate how killing someone is necessary.

It costs the state a fortune to keep these offenders in secure & a lot of times solitary confinement, they are not able to be rehabilitated & they get more luxuries than a pensioner or someone with a disability.

Why should I keep them in luxury, when the older members of our society can barely afford to feed themselves properly.

#24 BadCat

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (elizabethany @ 14/02/2013, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because I belive in the right to remain silent and the right against self incrimination.  I think that we all keep secrets and it is not always in someones best interests for those to become public.  People have a right to the privacy of their own heads, since that is all the privacy we have left.

I disagree with the rights of a criminal to keep his crimes in the privacy of his head.

I can see that such a serum might be misused and it would of course need to be well controlled.  I would not support spilling people's secrets willy-nilly.  Nobody would be subjected to the serum without reasonable basis for suspicion.  The only question that would need to be asked initially is "did you kill Mary Jones?".  I believe that you do not have the right to keep the murder you committed a secret from the community in which you live and that the community has every right to seek the truth.

#25 Cat People

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Jail = luxury?  I'm thinking you haven't visited one lately.  Don't believe everything you see on TT/ACA.

Isn't it a fact the death penalty costs MORE dollars than a life sentence?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.