Valentines Day baking

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 axiomae

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Anyone else baking anything sweet for Valentine's Day today?

I'm giving this recipe a go - I like how it uses cocoa rather than chocolate - it's cheaper!

Will see how it goes!

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/24131/almo...chocolate+cakes

#2 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

I just made little chocolate cupcakes in love heart paper cups, I'm icing them with Nutella and a choc ball on top.  '
Not very exciting but it's hot here today so I wanted to bake early and that's all I had in the pantry!!

#3 MissButtercup

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

DH isn't a desert/sweets fan so I am searching for recipes that contain prawns for valentines day dinner. So far I am thinking a prawn bruschetta of some sort.

However I have a sweet tooth so might give that almond and raspberry chocolate cake a go too.

Edited by MissButtercup, 14 February 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#4 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (MissButtercup @ 14/02/2013, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DH isn't a desert/sweets fan so I am searching for recipes that contain prawns for valentines day dinner. So far I am thinking a prawn bruschetta of some sort.

However I have a sweet tooth so might give that almond and raspberry chocolate cake a go too.

LOl I didn't even think of dh blush.gif   I made them for the kids. laugh.gif

#5 Hattie

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I made DS some heart shaped chocolate cakes, one of which he took to school for a morning tea treat, and I've made creme brulees for DH and I for dessert tonight.

Cheers,
Julie

#6 CountryFeral

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

No...  (I'm evil and cruel that way)

However I am baking some onion bread, some orange and poppyseed muffins (DP's favourite) and as tonight is pizza night I thought I would arrange the delicious salami from the fabulous German butcher into sort of heart shapes.

DP has been away on a business trip all week and as every morning I have received a sad "No onion bread.." text I think he will be more than happy with this

#7 minigirl

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yep! A pink heart shaped pav/meringue biggrin.gif  

And as far as I can tell countrymel, that's an excellently romantic thing to do. Bake the man his favourite bread original.gif

#8 MintyBiscuit

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

DH is out to a concert tonight so I made us creme brulee yesterday. He'd never had one before, whereas I am one of those people who sees creme brulee on a dessert menu and sees nothing else. Was my first attempt, and it turned out pretty well original.gif

#9 axiomae

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Creme brûlée, yum!

Well I tried the choc raspberry cakes, and for some reason it's all gone horribly wrong! I baked according to the specs and times in the recipe, but I think they needed a lot longer to cook.

I used a silicon heart shaped muffin tray and I couldn't turn the cakes out to cool without them busting into a gooey chocolate mess everywhere, even after half an hour in the fridge! Just smooshed them all up and popped them back into the oven to try again. We'll see if cooking them a bit longer makes a difference.

Ganache is sitting here waiting to go, come on cakes!

#10 FlamingoG

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 14/02/2013, 12:43 PM)
15328381[/url]']
I thought I would arrange the delicious salami from the fabulous German butcher into sort of heart shapes.

I saw a Valentine pizza where the pepperoni was cut into heart shapes with little cookie cutters - pretty cute if you have any handy, or could use scissors!

#11 lclb

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I bought a $5 silicon tray with 6 heart shapes from K mart today and just baked some red velvet cakes with cream cheese icing. Kids are licking the icing of the cakes as I type! Yummo!

#12 lclb

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Double Post

Edited by lclb, 14 February 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#13 Peanut

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

I made triple choc fudge brownies for my DH and kids!   original.gif

Here's a pic of the end result!

Edited by Peanut, 14 February 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#14 Chelara

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Currently making pecan pie.

#15 butterflyangels

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

I did strawberry lamingtons for afternoon tea

#16 CupOfCoffee

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

I made these for dinner last night (my husband works 12 hours today, so we will barely see each other, so had them last night):

They are a Shepherd pie/cauliflower gratin.

#17 Peanut

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Yum, they look good CupOfCoffee!

#18 CupOfCoffee

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Peanut @ 14/02/2013, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yum, they look good CupOfCoffee!

Not as good as your triple choc brownies... they look so delicious, moist and rich.

#19 niggles goes feral

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

There's leftover tuna mornay in the fridge and I'll be racing out the door to a meeting as soon as DH walks in the door leaving him to look after the sick baby. It's not romantic but it's practical. At least he won't have to cook to get the kids dinner. wink.gif

#20 MakesMeHappy

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Peanut @ 14/02/2013, 05:52 PM)
15329284[/url]']
I made triple choc fudge brownies for my DH and kids!   original.gif

Here's a pic of the end result!

Can You please share the recipe for these! They look some moist! Yum Yum!!!

#21 Peanut

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

This is the recipe I follow, although I added some choc bits rather than nuts this time around.  I think they work quite well, although I shall have to send the whole batch off to DH's work tomorrow in case I eat more, lol!

Recipe

#22 MakesMeHappy

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Thanks Peanut

#23 knittingkitten

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I made mini banana cupcakes with chocolate buttercream icing. And drew a heart on each with a blue icing pen (we'd run out of red).

And DD7 took them to school to share with her class. original.gif

Edited by knittingkitten, 15 February 2013 - 12:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.