Early Waking and Tears

9 replies to this topic

#1 Blossom73

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hoping someone can give me some tips/advice on what is becoming an every morning occurrence in our house.

I'll preface by saying there's a lot happening in our world at the moment, I am pregnant with#2, we are renovating, so DS is in a new room. DS also started 5 days at LDC in Jan (previously 3 days).

DS will be 2 on Sunday, and for about a month has been waking up between 5-6 am and crying for Mommy - not just calling out occasionally, but crying inconsolably. DH is the baby whisperer, and is usually pretty good about resettling DS gently and can get him back to sleep sometimes, but not always. I tried this morning and DS settled down immediately, and I sat with him for 10 minutes, and by the time I got back up to bed he was crying again. We then get him up or have a cuddle in bed with us if the first resettle does not work.

If he was waking up happy, I would not be concerned its just the crying that worries me. He also seems tired - yawning etc. He typically sleeps 1.5 -2 hours at child care, and we aim to get him to bed at 7 pm and he sleeps through the night.

I was thinking a nightlight in his room might help, or perhaps a gro-clock if he is scared. Our preference as parents would be he stays in bed until 6 am but this may be unreasonable. Any thoughts?

#2 Guest_divineM_*

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

DD is also your DS's age and has done this on and off. I think it's separation anxiety. It seems like your DS is getting more sleep than my DD, but if you think he seems tired then maybe it's not enough. At one point last year DD did this for about 3 months straight and then just stopped. Now if she does it we just sigh and wait it out.

#3 Blossom73

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Thanks divineM. I think you might be right about the separation - but we had a little more success this morning with getting him calm, and he stayed in his cot talking to himself.

#4 Bluenomi

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

DD did a similar thing at the same sort of age. She was having night terrors poor thing. I found it was worse on days she didn't get a good day sleep. A night light helped, she can see where she is, find her comfort toys and resettle herself most of the time. Sometimes she does need a hug from Mum but the light helps her to settle quicker

#5 tenar

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

There is so much going on for your DS.   Maybe he's having bad dreams and waking scared?  

Mine both seem to do that, especially at times when there's a lot going on.  DD1 is nearly 4 and can now articulate that she has had a bad dream (it still scares her, but at least she understands, in some way, what it is).  DD2 is 19 months and will just wake up screaming.

#6 Blossom73

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

There is a lot going on, so I am very sensitive to that. I don't think it is night terrors as he talks and is responsive when we go in to him. I will try a nightlight this weekend and see if it makes a difference but we are trying to reassure him/soothe him as well - and if all else fails enjoy early morning cuddles.

I keep telling myself my beautiful boy won't always want to cuddle with me! I just don't want him to be upset when he wakes, so am trying to rule out other things. Thanks everyone for the help.

#7 PurpleNess

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Sorry no advice, we are going through the same thing with DS who is 14 months. We resort to bringing him into our bed till 7am, which we love...

However I'm going to try to get him to settle again once his eye teeth pop through...they are taking ages.

Im sure its a phase, as you say you have a lot going on, give him a couple of weeks & see what happens.

#8 Kay1

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

My two went through this phase. I used to give them a sippy cup of milk and a book and go back to bed. Or get them up and let them play/watch tv while I doze on the couch next to them til I am functional.

#9 Blossom73

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice.

This week he's been sleeping until at least 6 and waking up not so unhappy - not sure what changed, or if he is more used to the changes at home but he seems happier which is the main thing!

#10 Reddechick

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

If he was waking up happy, I would not be concerned its just the crying that worries me. He also seems tired - yawning etc. He typically sleeps 1.5 -2 hours at child care, and we aim to get him to bed at 7 pm and he sleeps through the night.

[/quote]
guarantee you it's the day sleep. Start to cut it down by 15 mins every few days till you find the balance. Early morning wakings and time going to bed have EVERYTHING to do with that day sleep. Have been through it twice before.  As soon as you cut it back they start sleeping through.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.