Renting

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jessie123

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I have only rented once for about a year over 10 years ago.

I am selling and need to find somewhere to live. What will I need to rent. As in do I need references etc ? Will they want pay slips? What should I get organised so I can start applying. How long out should I apply need to be out of here in 6 weeks.

#2 epl0822

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

We were in a similar position of being first time renters after owning our own property. The agent was not fussed about us not having rental references - they must have come across dozens of people like us and it wasn't a big deal. But we did provide work references to verify employment (whom he called) and personal references as well (not called).

I gave them all the documents to prove we were able to pay rent - pay slips, term investment statement, savings account statement, document to show we sold our home, etc. I had original copies and photocopies on the day we applied and just submitted the whole lot along with our application. I'm not sure where you live but we were looking at very competitive areas (one place had about a hundred people queueing up to view the property) so we started looking about 4-6 weeks in advance. My conveyancing solicitor said she had a lot of clients who weren't able to get rental property in time so we were lucky that we did.

#3 DK3000

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

I was just in the same situation a few weeks ago!

It's not too hard I found, you'll need 100 points of ID, plus a few recent Payslips, Bank statement, and a letter from your employer to prove employment.

They also asked for rental references, but were happy to take rates notice and water bill in lieu, as proof we had been owners prior.

I also added some additional bills, and bank statements for other accounts, just to show that money coming in was plenty to cover the rent.

Also emphasise the point you have been a "homeowner", it can make the landlord feel like you will treat their property better.... (not necessarily true in all cases, but they think this all the same!)

Good luck!

ETA:  We didn't need to provide any references, only the letter from employer, I'm not sure if other Agent's would require more

Edited by DK3000, 14 February 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#4 jessie123

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Really they want pay slips / bank statements. Feels like a lot of hoop jumping.

Just been looking at the rental applications none have indicated wanting financial details. But I need 3 referees it seems.

I am not worried about finding something as there is lots of places around but feels like it was less work to get a mortgage. Left it a bit late now though to buy something ohmy.gif

#5 Flaxen

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

We found a rental quite easily after we sold and with two large dogs too.

I think 6 weeks is fine but it depends what the rental market is like where you are.

I was incredibly stressed about finding a house in time, so I went in to see the managing agents personally to give them a face to the name and have a chat how best to apply for one of their homes. I sort of treated it like a job interview, I think they liked that. I also gave them a brochure of the house we sold with the photos on it so they could see it was well kept.
We got the house i really wanted, andhaving the dogs was no problem, even though they initially said no.

Edited by Flaxen, 14 February 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#6 jessie123

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

I dont think I will have an issue getting the place just need to get my referees in order. Which seems  to be the only thing I need to do it seems by the application forms.

What I really meant I guess is when should I apply to avoid too much overlap between settlement on my house and renting a new place. A lot say available now but I don't want to pay for 2 places for longer than necessary. If I apply with about 3 weeks out is that plenty of time presuming I get accepted.

#7 AnotherFeral

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

There should be a space on the form for you to write your preferred start date, so no harm in applying now.

#8 jessie123

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (aratiaw @ 14/02/2013, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There should be a space on the form for you to write your preferred start date, so no harm in applying now.

Surely they are not going to hold onto a house for me for 6 weeks though?

#9 purpleblackqueen

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

I am studying Real Estate, so I can tell you that YES you do need to provide pay slips, this way Agents and Landlords are sure you can afford to pay the rent, it doesn't matter that you have sold a house etc etc.

#10 Overtherainbow

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

The agent who sold our home spoke to the rental agent to support us on caring for our home and our dog.

We also had a relocation consultant helping through h's work which may have helped.

We got the first home we applied for despite a large number applying.

#11 Cath-In-SA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (jessie123 @ 14/02/2013, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surely they are not going to hold onto a house for me for 6 weeks though?

If the house won't be available for another 4 weeks, then it is only getting held for 2 weeks.  You may also be able to negotiate something in regards to part-rent payment for that time to keep it for you?  I am not sure, we didn't have a time frame when we started renting again.

#12 jessie123

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (Cath-In-SA @ 17/02/2013, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the house won't be available for another 4 weeks, then it is only getting held for 2 weeks.  You may also be able to negotiate something in regards to part-rent payment for that time to keep it for you?  I am not sure, we didn't have a time frame when we started renting again.

?? All of these houses are 'available now' to rent as in vacant. I don't see why anyone would hold a property for me for that long if someone else wants to rent it straight away.  

Starting to wish I had been more prepared so I could just buy asap. Renting for 12 months seems like its going to be a huge pain.

Guess I will just have to double pay rent/mortgage to get in somewhere with minimal overlap as possible.

#13 jessie123

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Well I found a place that is available one week before my settlement.

Put the application form in at the viewing and was accepted the next day. Feeling very lucky it was so easy and only had to apply for one place.

I had to have 2 references but no pay slips just identification.

Now need to finish packing.

#14 ~Mo+Moosh~

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

We are facing this at the moment, house is about to go on the market and we won't make an offer on another home until ours has sold. This will mean that we will probably be homeless and have to rent as a stop gap.

Our agent, who is amazing, will firstly help us find the next property and hopefully marry up all the settlement dates but if that doesn't work out then he will get the property management team to help us secure one of their rentals.

Is the agent who sold your property able to help at all?

Eta: just saw your update, glad it's all worked out for you!

Edited by ~Mo+Moosh~, 01 March 2013 - 09:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.