babysitter

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Domestic Goddess

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

So I am finally going on a "date". First one in 2 years. Just lunch, nothing major. He said that it was fine to bring DS along with me as I could not get a babysitter.
Today DS's carer at preschool offered to babysit him. DS gets inclusion service due to his needs, so for  hours a day he gets extra attention/care from a particular carer.
This guy is about 20 years old and gets along well with DS. He's fully qualified ofcourse, so that's a bonus.

Would you "hire" one of your child's carers to babysit on a Sunday? What are the going rates these days? In the 3 years I've had DS, I've never had to pay for a sitter before lol  unsure.gif

#2 causeway

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

I have and I would do again. I paid about $15 p/h. It was for all day on a Saturday while DH & I both worked.

#3 Domestic Goddess

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hmmmmm this kid wants $20,- an hour as that is what his mother gets too via her professional babysitting business.
*SIGH* I hate having to do these last minute things. Oh well, it will be a 1 off I hope.....

#4 ♥Rumpelstiltskin♥

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Sorry I read you post wrong I thought that you said that you had a hot date with a 20 year old.....lol

#5 Domestic Goddess

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (♥~Purple-Bliss~♥ @ 14/02/2013, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry I read you post wrong I thought that you said that you had a hot date with a 20 year old.....lol

Bahahahahaha I wish!!!

But.........No. No cougaring for me unfortunately sad.gif Its not even a hot date, just lunch hahahaha.

Edited by Domestic Goddess, 14 February 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#6 lynneyours

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

I don't think $20 is bad for a special needs babysitter who is a qualified carer also - you get to relax AND have piece of mind.

Enjoy your date OP!

#7 SeaPrincess

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

I would.  Oh, I have! She charged $22/hour.

#8 babychacha

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

I'm in Sydney and that is the standard rate here for hiring one of my son's preschool teachers. Well that was the cheapest I could get, the only teacher I could actually book charged me $25.

He's now at school and I don't know anyone now that could babysit.

#9 againagain

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

I would be happy with $20 an hour and I would be over the moon to hire a babysitter who already knows my child and their needs  original.gif

A friend of mine hires lady from her daycare centre on Saturday nights sometimes and she charges $25 an hour.

#10 theMword

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I've got one of DS's day care teachers booked for a couple of after work shifts - works perfectly as she already knows him, settling, eating etc. She asks for $19 but we pay $20 -mainly because we're too lazy to organise change!

#11 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Domestic Goddess @ 14/02/2013, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I am finally going on a "date". First one in 2 years. Just lunch, nothing major. He said that it was fine to bring DS along with me as I could not get a babysitter.
Today DS's carer at preschool offered to babysit him. DS gets inclusion service due to his needs, so for  hours a day he gets extra attention/care from a particular carer.
This guy is about 20 years old and gets along well with DS. He's fully qualified ofcourse, so that's a bonus.

Would you "hire" one of your child's carers to babysit on a Sunday? What are the going rates these days? In the 3 years I've had DS, I've never had to pay for a sitter before lol  unsure.gif

Both the babysitters we use for our kids have come from the kids' daycare centre. $20/hour (seems pretty standard around here). Qualified, very responsible, the kids adore them.

The carers approached us when they heard through the grapevine that we never go out because we had no-one to babysit (specific thing was that I wasn't going to DH's xmas party because we had no-one to care for the kids when DD1 was just under 12 months old and it had been months since DH and I had even gone out by ourselves for an hour, let alone a whole evening that included dinner).    It's a bit of a hush-hush situation because the general policy is that carers are not encouraged to do private babysitting of the daycare kids  However, it's worked out brilliantly for us and the two carers seem to like it as well.

Have fun on your date OP!

#12 Feralishous

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

the girls at our daycare both also do private sitting, $20 an hour and worth every penny! DD loves them and we trust them

#13 Roobear

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

We pay our babysitter who is a student midwife $20 p/h to babysit. I did pay $35 p/h for a mothercraft nurse to babysit as just a once off when I had a freak out about leaving DS when he was 10 weeks old and our usual babysitter couldn't do it. It was ridiculous but it was the only way I was leaving him as he didn't take a bottle well and was a bit screamy so needed rocking/cuddling a lot!

#14 Domestic Goddess

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Well, the carer isn't specially trained in special needs.
He has just been hired especially to interact with DS as DS does not have a father and so no male rollmodel. Therefore the director thought it would be good to pair him up with a male carer.

He's only 20 though, but as I said, he's got his Cert 3 and studying for cert 4 in childcare and he comes from a family of childcare workers.

There are still things that he can't do, that only I can do. Ie: settling DS for his afternoon nap as he only wants cuddles with mummy. So I have to be back before 2pm.
No big deal though. I have set the time for the date at 11.30 so that gives us 2 hours to chat. That ought to be enough to figure out if I want to meet them again or not and vice versa ofcourse.

I already told him that Im going to shave my hair next month, so he's in a rush to meet me before I change my appearance lol. Though he acknowledges that it doesn't change me as a person and that hair grows back pretty quick.
Now to figure out what to wear......

#15 Therese

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I hope your lunch goes well original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.