Last day as a Guinea Pig...
Drug Trial

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 **MrsPotatoHead**

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

So I'm sitting here in the hospital with some "Roomies" on our last day of a 3 month drug trial and I am bored out of my brains so figured I would share my journey for anyone interested.

It's been interesting to say the least. I'm lucky that I have had no adverse reactions to the drug other than figuring out excessive amounts of alcohol DO NOT agree with me original.gif  And I prayed to the porcelain gods more times than I would like to have on two separate instances before we worked out I should avoid alcohol until the end of the trial... LOL.  I have made a couple of new friends and had more needles in the last 3months than I have had in my whole life but it's been good to do something different for a change.

Why did I do this you ask???? MONEY... pure and simple.  I knew I was going to lose my job before Christmas so started this in November so I knew I would have some money coming in later (unfortunately we don't get paid till the end of the trial but hey, it's money right... better later than never!!!)

I have had twice weekly visits to the hospital for dosing/testing for the last 12 weeks. And two over night stays, the first one at the beginning of the trial and the second being today our last day.  We've also had one 24hr halter monitoring test at the beginning of the trial where by we are connected up to a portable ECG and blood pressure machine and it takes readings EVERY 30mins for 24hrs (Oh what fun that was... NOT!!) We also have another 24hr halter monitoring at the beginning of next week (So not looking forward to it as people look at you as though you're a freak original.gif Anyone who has had a 24hr BP monitor knows how noisy and uncomfortable they are, so every 30mins through the night makes for interesting dreams.

For our overnight stay we get in here at 9am (after fasting for 12hrs) to have our vitals done, cannula inserted (not fun I tell you!) ECG, medical work up and then we get dosed by sub cutaneous injection into our stomachs at 10.  Then we have blood taken at 15mins, 30mins, 1hr, 2hrs, 4hrs, 8hrs, 16hrs and then 24hrs with vitals checks at each time.  We don't get to eat until lunch time by which we are all starving and obsessing over food and what we are going to be having (not good when it's a Weight loss Drug Trial  rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif  ) And we only get fed at prescribed times!!! original.gif

So would I do it again you ask??  Yes... for the money again!! original.gif  Depending on the length of your trial will depend on how much you get.  Usually an overnight stay is around $250-300.

It's been hard scheduling the 40min trips into the hospital twice a week and because we must be dosed at precise times there is NO running late or just skipping it altogether, and having just had 7wks of school holidays it has meant dragging 3 children in with me, oh the joy.

It was a double blind trial which means that neither us the or the people dosing us know what dosage we are getting or if it's even the placebo.  

We started out 9 of us and are down to 4 of us.  1 got a full time job and had to pull out, another went on a holiday and 2 had adverse reactions to the drug so also had to pull out.  All this considering the clinic had hoped to start the trial with 15 people but after screening over 30 people only managed to get 9 people suitable ohmy.gif

All in all though it's been fun and an eye opener.

#2 Missy Shelby

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Sorry OP, you are much braver than me, it does not sound like fun at all!! original.gif

Hope you benefited from the drugs you were administered? From what you said they were for weight loss, if you do not mind asking how much weight did you end up losing?

#3 amabanana

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

You're braver than I, OP.   original.gif

#4 Procrastinator5000

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

That's pretty interesting. How much money did you make from it overall?

#5 Foogle

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

You do this for money?  Odd.

but it's been good to do something different for a change.

I'm sure.  unsure.gif

#6 eachschoolholidays

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I trialled a new asthma diagnostic tool when I was at uni. It was meant to trigger an attack (so it was designed to be used by the army etc). Unfortunately for them, not matter how much they gave me it didn't trigger an attack. It was all done at RPA hospital so there were plenty of trained staff around wink.gif

It also meant I got early access to Oxis which was a new restricted drug. It was a long acting reliever and rocked my world!!

#7 **MrsPotatoHead**

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Without going into too much detail Procrastinator lets say it was the equivalent to me working one day a week for around 10 weeks after tax original.gif  Not a huge amount but will help with some bills that I have been putting off original.gif

Odd Foogle??  How so??  I couldn't get a job as my ex husband was unwilling to look after our children during the holidays so I could get a job (the whole 7wks of school holidays other than every other weekend was my responsibility), all vacation care was already fully booked.  Money is money, I don't care how I earn it.

And it WAS interesting seeing how the same drug can affect people differently, meeting new people from all walks of life and having some great conversations, also helping drug companies trial new drugs to help people... How is that odd?  rolleyes.gif

#8 Floki

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

I've done two and I think they are a vital part of any drug trial. The money is good for ones that involve overnight stays.

Of the two I did(both double blind and randomised) we were told what we had after the end. I had one placebo and one drug. The drug was a new Japanese Encephalitis vaccine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.