Words you like

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 ~iMum~

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

The boards have been a bit serious these past few days, so tell me some of your favourite words original.gif

I like:
Existential (love the way it rolls off your tongue and that no one is ever really sure of it's meaning)
Disenfranchised and disengaged ('p*ssed off' for when in polite company)
Yellow (like the colour itself, I also associate the word with happy things$
Catastrophizing (see existential)
Ephemera (see existential and catastrophizing)

#2 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

Quarterly- just has a musical ring to it IMO

#3 eleven

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

Serendipity  original.gif

#4 wiggles

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

Iota  original.gif

#5 Feralishous

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

serenity

#6 Futureself

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

Onomatopoeia

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

Mountain.

Always has been. No idea why LOL

#8 wallofdodo

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

I had a teacher who's favourite word was electric.

I also like serendipity, and ennui.

Ennui is about the way it looks, and I used to go past it written on a wall, the graffiti writer had a nice hand, and chose a good colour. It always made me think.

#9 =Magpie=

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

Milieu
Anthropomorphising

#10 mini mac

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (trishalishous @ 14/02/2013, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
serenity

I wish I had more, or maybe its tranquility I really want more of.... wink.gif

Mastication.

The fact it sounds a bit like masturbation... We had a sweet little old English teacher in high school that often said to the class not to masticate with your mouth open (there was always somebody with gum!) I'm sure she said it for her own amusement... It always got giggles around the room. Still makes me smile now.

#11 Colleer

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

Nonchalant

#12 cinnabubble

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

Crepuscular and pulchritude.

#13 CalEliKat

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

My favavourite word is

Schadenfreude

I love it.

#14 Ireckon

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Velvet.

It's just so.....decadent.

#15 CountryFeral

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (Mini Mac @ 15/02/2013, 04:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mastication.

The fact it sounds a bit like masturbation... We had a sweet little old English teacher in high school that often said to the class not to masticate with your mouth open (there was always somebody with gum!) I'm sure she said it for her own amusement... It always got giggles around the room. Still makes me smile now.

Reminds me of 'ejaculate' - we were only talking about this (and using it for our own adolescent  amusement) at work on Tuesday.

This meaning, obviously, not the 'other' one.

ejaculate:  (tr) to utter abruptly; blurt out

#16 FlamingoG

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 15/02/2013, 07:29 AM)
15330427[/url]']
Crepuscular and pulchritude.

Crepuscular is a wonderful word.

I like veruca too, oddly.

#17 NunSoFeral

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

Mellifluous
Unctuous
Insouciance
Susurration

#18 Cyaira

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

Toast and all variants thereof... toasty, toasted, etc.

Also, pastiche.

#19 Bunsen the feral

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Mither

#20 Bel Rowley

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Nefarious

#21 slinky

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

Pumpernickel

#22 brazen

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

i love the word discombobulated and often feel that way

#23 tres-chic

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

Bonhomie

#24 dimensionk

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

Serenity  wub.gif

#25 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Scissors. The word is short and sharp and just fits perfectly with it's object.

Also "smooth" - I can never just say it with two "o"s though. It has to be smoooooth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.