Neighbours kids swimming in our pool when we are not home

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 **BOOM**

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

The house next door is a rental.  Just before christmas a family moved in.  Mum, Dad & four kids.

Kids ages range from about 14/15ish to 5 yrs of age (approx).

We have a pool.  The pool area is on the side of the backyard which is on their fence line.  Our pool has a pool fence around it.

Yesterday afternoon I got home after being out to find the four kids from next door swimming in our pool,  Yesterday was the sixth time since they have moved in we have come home to find the four kids in our pool.  

They jump the fence and then put one of our chairs up against to get down onto our side.

There was one time over the school holidays that there were two extra kids - friends of one of the neighbours kids.  So there were 6 in our pool.

We have spoken to the parents already about this but either their not passing the message on to them or kids don't care.  

Both parents work full-time.  Over the school holidays I know (was told by the mum)  the kids grandmother comes over to mind them most times ( i was told the grandmother isn't in the greatest of health and needs to take a rest during the day - I take it they mean she needs to have a sleep) but i think they are left at home (over the school holidays) at times with the older one/ones in charge.

As you can imagine it is very annoying and concerning for DH & I.  

My first concern is the safety concern.  No adult supervision  just makes me shudder...and it is happening in OUR pool.  

When we go into the pool which is pretty much every day and early evening at the moment, the kids next door can hear us in the pool and then stand up on the fence and watch us.  This makes me feel a little uneasy after awhile.  Probably sounds selfish but this is our fun family time when we all get in the pool and having 3 or four kids watching over the fence kind of takes the intimate family time away a little. I know that sounds selflish...I can't tell them to go away.  sad.gif

So DH went around to next door last night but didn't get much of a response from the parents.  DH is not confrontational at all and he would have been apologising to them for disturbing them. Not bagging DH I just think we now need to become really firm with the parents now.

I'm at the point now where I think I need to call the police and ask for their advice.

I was thinking of putting some of that lattece fencing on top of the existing fence.  But I think why should we and get a cross that this would be at our expense & time.    How the hell do we keep these kids out of our pool, especially when we are not home?

We are out for most of the weekend & it will be 30 degrees plus here over the weekend.  Although their parents will be home, I'm feeling nervous and think i will be worrying over the weekend whether they are in the pool or not.

Also, we have a carport so it's obvious when we aren't home as the car is gone.  So I suspect the older kids check if the car is there before going in.  

Oh what do I do now?  You think I need to get the police involved.

Edited by **BOOM**, 15 February 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#2 FeralEsme

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Only lattice on the fence? Razor wire should do the trick I reckon!  tongue.gif

Yes, the safety thing is a major concern. I have no idea what you do. I suspect it would be considered to be trespass and be a civil matter.  Maybe ring the police and ask their advice? The other thing I would probably do is actually write to your neighbours, keeping a copy, outlining that you are concerned about the safety of the children etc, etc so if anything did happen you could show that you had tried to prevent it.

(edit - bloody iPad, not everything that ends in 's' needs an apostrophe!)

Edited by Jemstar, 15 February 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#3 I'msoMerry

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

I am just shocked that people could be so rude!
You have every right to be annoyed and tell them to keep off your property.

Have you told the kids off when you get home and they are there?
How do they react to being caught?

#4 ~sydblue~

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

I would definitely get the police involved. Because if something happens in your pool, you will more than likely be held responsible.
Take photos if you need to to prove it is happening.
I don't know whether or not you can still buy lockable covers. I know mum and dad had one on their pool that was locked whenever we went away overnight or longer.

#5 Cantankerous

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

electrify the fence?
Put a pool cover on?
Put up extra height on top of fence.
Grow some balls and confront parents and threaten trespassing.

#6 **BOOM**

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 15/02/2013, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only lattice on the fence? Razor wire should do the trick I reckon!  tongue.gif

I wrote this and then deleted. Sounds terrible to say about keeping some kids out.

#7 sarkazm76

Can you get a pool cover and make sure it is fitted whenver you're not using it?  Saves water evaporation and crap getting in your pool too, so even though it's also your expense at least there is some upside.... and peace of mind.

Otherwise... or as well as... you've got to confront them again.  Or go over and ask to speak to the KIDS instead of the adults and tell them "you are NOT allowed into our pool when we are not home - climbing someones fence and helping yourself to their belongings is NOT ok".
And tell them next time you will call the police biggrin.gif

ETA - find out who they are renting through and complain to them!

Edited by sarkazm76, 15 February 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#8 kpingitquiet

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Can you attach a shade sail flush with the fence that extends, angled upwardish, over part of your pool? Harder to climb down and you get some reduced visibility.

Aside from that, I'd see if the police would come by to discuss things like trespassing, pool safety, and invasion of privacy with the kids AND the parents.

#9 jo-v

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

How unbelievably rude! I can't believe the parents are allowing them to do this (or not trying to discourage them by the sound of it).

I agree you should write a firm letter asking them to stop and keep a dated copy. Maybe you could also put up a sign saying "this is not a public pool, swimming without permission is prohibited and entirely at your own risk" . Not sure if that would cover you legally or not you'd have to look into it.

The bigger issue would be getting them to stop before anything happens but no idea how....

#10 BadCat

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I would most certainly call the police.  It's trespass.

#11 PrincessPeach

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'd also be notifying their landlord in writing that the kids are entering your pool without your permission & take photos of how they are doing this. I'd also include in that letter that you have informed the parents and they still have not done anything.

Just in case something goes wrong, it will give another back-up that you have not given permission for the kids to be there.

#12 Lauren Bell

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (*~Lisa~* @ 15/02/2013, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
electrify the fence?
Put a pool cover on?
Put up extra height on top of fence.
Grow some balls and confront parents and threaten trespassing.

This. Wth?? Youve found them in there more than once?
Call the police and ask their advice.

I also agree on getting a pool cover and wire for the top of the fence. This is absolutely terrible and your neighbours sound feral.

#13 Beancat

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

OMG, what little @#$%!!!

Two things, which have been covered - inform them in writing that they are not permitted to enter your property when no one is home and also no to swim in the pool. Keep a copy as evidence.

Ring the police and get advice.  Again, your complaint will be documented should anything happen.  

It makes me wonder what else they are doing at your place when you are not home.

#14 Lucky*Mum

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

^^^ This!

I would definitely get the police involved. Because if something happens in your pool, you will more than likely be held responsible.
+1

How unbelievably rude! I don't let my kids get a Frisbee out of someones yard without their permission.

#15 josh2003

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I would firstly tell the children directly, and very firmly that they're not to come into your yard at any time, unless invited. And maybe throw in that it's illegal to do so, and you will be forced to call the police if it continues. I wouldn't normally suggest dealing with the kids themselves, but they're old enough to be told, and obviously the parents aren't willing to do so.

If it still continues, the next time they're there, I would not go into your house and call the police so that they can catch them in the act.

We had something similar happen a while ago. We came home to find the new neighbour's kids riding our son's bikes up and down the street. I just told them that they're never to come into our yard (which is fully fenced!) when we're not home. Thankfully it never happened again!

#16 Feral timtam

Just a thought, you said they are using one of your chairs to get into the pool, is it possible for you to put those chairs inside when you go out? Remove anything they can use as aids to climb the fence when you are not home.
Apart from taking the chairs inside and putting an extension on the fence there's not much else physically you could do.

I'd also be contacting the police, this is trespass and those kids should not be on your property at all.

I'd also be tempted to go out and buy a few rose bushes (with lots of thorns) or bougainvillea and plant it alongside that particular boundary fence. The previous owners of my mothers house actually did that when they installed a pool, the bougainvillea is very well established now with many 5cm long thorns. I wouldn't want to try climbing that fence!

#17 **BOOM**

QUOTE (michellew68 @ 15/02/2013, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am just shocked that people could be so rude!
You have every right to be annoyed and tell them to keep off your property.

Have you told the kids off when you get home and they are there?
How do they react to being caught?

I have been very very firm when I've caught them.  Yesterday, I yelled at them.

The oldest tells the others to get out of the pool.  I did threaten I'd call the police on them.  They try to jump the fence again but I make them walk out the side gate.

They just run off and don't look at me as I tell them off.

I agree, I think it's time to become the neighbour from hell lol and make some threats now.  I couldn't care less whether they talk to me again or not.  I do worry they could make our lives hell but whatever...

I also don't think we should have to be paying for things to keep them out.  We've had other families live next door and never ever had this problem.  

I just have visions of coming home finding a kid floating in the pool or an ambulance out the from the house.

I think I will go & have a chat to the police.  Maybe a visit from them will scare the kids than the woman next door who yells.

#18 TotesFeral

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Pretty sure our old neighbours used to do this when we were kids. They always seemed to manage to be gone when we got home though. Sneaky!

I would start being firmer.
Yell at the kids.
Talk to the police.
Ring around every real estate and find out who rents the house.
Look at getting a pool cover.
Put more height in the fence.

#19 icekool

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Can you lock the pool fence or get a lock on it?

#20 Tigerdog

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

This.  I know of a family whose 3-year-old drowned, the kids had been swimming in the neighbour's pool, they went back home but then this child snuck back through the gate (which had been left open), when they realised she was missing they searched the neighbourhood first but she was found in the pool too late.

It's trespassing in any case, they could be charged with this, maybe heavyhanded but you've tried the softly-softly approach and it didn't work.

#21 FeralEsme

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Locking a pool fence is not going to keep teenagers out, or even a dedicated smaller child.

#22 mychichi

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

How stressful for you. I can't believe the parents this is an OK thing to do!

As PP's said I would be contacting the local police as they are trespassing, also removing the chairs that they are using to climb on (whats stopping your children from doing that) and getting a lock for your fence. Is there a way you could extend the fence higher, so to stop them from climbing or peering over when you are in the pool?

#23 SophieBear

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Plant some cacti along the fence line.

I cannot believe the nerve of those kids! And their parents!

I'd park down the road, catch them in the act and call the police. Maybe install some pretend surveillance cameras and tell them that the tapes will go to the police or get real ones and do just that!

That would give me the sh*ts!

#24 BetteBoop

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

This happened to my FIL. He ended up calling the police, who went to speak to the parents.

QUOTE (~sydblue~ @ 15/02/2013, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, she's not responsible for people who are illegally on her property. No insurance policy covers them anyway. They simply aren't supposed to be there.

#25 Soontobegran

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

We thought the same thing was happening OP. There were just a few signs that meant someone had been in like wet patches on the pavers or the floaty things being moved so we did a letter box drop around to all our perimeter homes and told them that they would be charged with trespass if they were found to have used the pool. We also contemplated buying a security camera (not necessarily connected) and have it trained onto the pool but we didn't need to because it stopped happening.
We also added lattice for a bit more privacy for us.

The kids I don't blame at all. A pool is a very hard thing to resist on a hot day but parents that allow it?? Don't get them.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.