'Free Gift'
What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 bluecardigans

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Today in the mail I received a 'free gift' from a charity. It included some envelopes, writing paper, gift cards and personalised return address stickers (with my full name and address on them).

I donate to several charities (I assume this is where they got my details from) and really can't afford anymore.  I was going to return the items, but as they are personalised, they probably can't use them again.

I have absolutely no need for these items, so I don't think I should send them money, but I do feel a bit stingy as it obviously cost them money to produce them sad.gif

WWYD?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn61/oc...1262525EDFA.jpg

#2 ~sydblue~

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

All you can do is keep and use them.
I got a heap of christmas cards, but as they were not personalised I could return them.

#3 niggles

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

I received something similar once. I shifted them from one place in the house to another for ages wondering what to do with them. I don't reccomend that course of action.

#4 bluecardigans

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

LOL Niggles - that sounds like me

#5 jmaz86

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Just keep them and use them...Companies send these out to anyone and everyone who has ever donated or purchased raffle tickets etc.
I received some personalised ones once and I had already donated to another charity so couldn't afford more money but they had my details on it so I wasn't going to send them back...they budget for people who don't use and re-imburse. Personally I think it is a waste of charity money that could be spent on more important things but that's a totally different rant all together.

#6 ~elle~

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

I got these last year from the Breast Cancer society or something. All personalised stickers for putting on the backs of envelopes etc.

Plus there is another group that does cards / envelopes from disabled artists.

I really don't appreciate it either.

#7 niggles

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Display anemone @ 15/02/2013, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL Niggles - that sounds like me

But I'll bet you can spell recommend right first time.

#8 bluecardigans

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Only if I had spell check wink.gif

#9 Snot stew

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I really dislike this sort of thing  mad.gif  - I don't care that they are a charity.  Even if I can afford it I refuse to pay for them, I send them back, and then I never donate to that charity again.  Same with the phone calls.  I really hate being solicited to in my own home.  And I will not support it.

#10 capper

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

I send them back, with a note that I didn't request them.  And, if they are printing these and sending them put, to hw many people, how much is the charity spending on this.  How much is actually going towards the cause that the charity supports?

#11 Citylovely

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I agree with PP how annoying it is! I donate to the charities I want to, and it annoys me that I receive unsoliciated mail from others.I always ring and request I am taking off their mailing list.
I have worked for a charity in the past and understand how hard it can be to get donations, but I definitely don't agree with this new type of marketing.

#12 Spa Gonk

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I just give the 'gift' to the kids to do what they want with it now. I hate how they use guilt to get you to donate.  I did not want the gift and have no desire to waste my time sending it back.

The first time a particular charity sent me a 'gift' I did give them money, but wrote that I disliked their way of getting donations and not to send me stuff again as I would not be paying.  So I have wired them and no longer feel guilty about not donating.

#13 Mrs_BG

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

I work as a consultant advising charities about the best ways to raise money and this is not a method I recommend.  Studies have shown that while a few people will donate out of guilt, more people will be put off by the way charity wastes money on gimmicks.  OP, the best thing to do it ring the charity and tell them that you don't approve of their methods.  Also ask them how they got your details.  A charity should never pass on your contact information to another organisation unless you have given your express permission.  The most common way you get on a charity mailing list is my completing the Australia Post Lifestyle survey.

#14 Georgie01

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Mine are packed in the return envelope with a note saying that I don't appreciate being marketed to this way and not to contact me again. I can't stand charities that waste money doing this sort of thing/producing glossy brochures/glossy newsletters etc. and I let them know - complete waste of money and I'm not donating to pay for it.

#15 aprilrain

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

It's not particularly new. I can remember getting them 20 years ago from the painting by mouth artists. I tend to end up binning them as I wouldn't use them as I hadn't paid for them. I've probably sent some back as well. I have a friend who just uses them, but if you sent me one as a Christmas card I would be wondering whether you were a donator or not biggrin.gif

Another pet peeve. I buy a small book of tickets from Surf lifesavers by monthly direct debit. Then I get a phonecall ddance.gif

No, I haven't won!!! They haven't reached their target, on telethon etc. Would I kindly consider donating an extra $50, this would pay for a something-or-other.  Go away!! I feel you are abusing my trust by trying to guilt trip me as you have my phone number.

edited coz of terible speling

Edited by aprilrain, 15 February 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#16 Lyn29

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#17 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Use them. Otherwise it's just a waste of resources.

#18 katiebear26

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (jmaz86 @ 15/02/2013, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I think it is a waste of charity money that could be spent on more important things but that's a totally different rant all together.

i so agree. i wish you could opt out of the marketing stuff they send, i have a regular small donation but there's no option for email instead of a rather hefty magazine covering what they are doing. to be honest if i want to know i'll look at their website. until then i'm happy they are doing something with it (at least most of it) and would rather they cut printing costs and spend more on the actual people they help.

OP if you wanted to make a point send them back asking them to be taken off their mailing list (better yet, call them so there's more chance of them doing it) and say you would rather they spend their money on their main causes.

ETA the repeated phone calls bug me too - just after DD was born i got called every day for 2-3 weeks by a well known charity that promised me they weren't asking me for money, did i know that blah blah blah, then by the end it was all about being a regular donor. i politely said no but i should have been more forceful as they kept ringing during the 'campaign'. eventually i recorded the number they were calling from and didn't answer again.

Edited by katiebear26, 15 February 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#19 Procrastinator5000

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

I don't understand why you wouldn't keep and use them.

If you keep them, you get some free stationery. If you send it back, it'll get binned. Sure, contact them to say 'take me off your list right now', and that you don't appreciate their tactics, but they sent you free stuff, just use it.

They chose to waste resources on a lot of people who won't donate in response, don't waste more by not using the stuff.

#20 Oriental lily

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I just keep them and use them.
I get this stuff CONSTANTLY. I think I am on every charity maling list imaginable.
The charities must all be connected someway.  I donate something to someone and then it's a knock on effect with them all bombarding me.

Sorry charties MY budget is tight so I have a limited amounts to go around, but hey if you want to send me personalised notebooks, key rings and cards then thats their choice.

#21 LynnyP

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

I always send them back so they know the number of people who don't use them so they can estimate if it is a waste of resources.

#22 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

They can send all the free stuff they like but unless I have spare money -rare- they are wasting their time and money.
I dont usually donate anyway as im so tight on cash (if a CC involved not a chance in hell) so I gather they get my address from online surveys I do.

Calling me makes me angrier personally

They can send all the free stuff they like but unless I have spare money -rare- they are wasting their time and money.
I dont usually donate anyway as im so tight on cash (if a CC involved not a chance in hell) so I gather they get my address from online surveys I do.

Calling me makes me angrier personally

#23 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Procrastinator5000 @ 16/02/2013, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you keep them, you get some free stationery. If you send it back, it'll get binned. Sure, contact them to say 'take me off your list right now', and that you don't appreciate their tactics, but they sent you free stuff, just use it.

They chose to waste resources on a lot of people who won't donate in response, don't waste more by not using the stuff.

Agree. Don't waste resouces just on principle, but do let them know that you are not impressed with their marketing.

#24 Georgie01

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

i so agree. i wish you could opt out of the marketing stuff they send, i have a regular small donation but there's no option for email instead of a rather hefty magazine covering what they are doing. to be honest if i want to know i'll look at their website. until then i'm happy they are doing something with it (at least most of it) and would rather they cut printing costs and spend more on the actual people they help.

I've found charities are very co-operative when I call and explain that the choice is either I don't get the glossy mag or they don't get their money.

I understand the logic of this and I'm normally pedantic about not wasting things but it just feels more wrong to me to keep something I haven't paid for. I know that many others would see the waste as the greater evil.

#25 mini mac

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Personally I would use the stuff and I wouldn't donate to them again... While I understand there is a need to generate interest and funds I don't really agree with donating to any charity that spends excessive amounts of money on advertising and merchandise!! Defeats the purpose of donating to the cause you are supposedly supporting and raising money for research or equipment etc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.