My new gadget

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jupiter123

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

My DH is awesome. He just bought me a bamboo touch and pen tablet.

I have a little trouble with being accurate with a mouse at times when editing my pictures and we were wandering around HN when we found these tablets. Whilst I am busy ogling this shiney gadget, DH is asking me questions about what it is, what I would use it for etc

Little did I know that he was also telling the sales person that we would take it  biggrin.gif

I have set it up, installed the required software and all I can say is holy sh*t it's awesome.

I have edited a couple of pics and love it, so easy to use, it's just like using a pen.

#2 raven74

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

So cool! To what level of editing can you do with it?

#3 Jupiter123

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (raven74 @ 16/02/2013, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So cool! To what level of editing can you do with it?

Everything.

You can go through your all your menus with it, navigate your whole machine as if you were using a mouse, use the pen for all editing, use it to convert handwriting to text, draw as if you were using a pen or pencil the list is endless lol.

A lot of professionals use them for graphics work, so whilst this isn't of the professional level it's still damn awesome  biggrin.gif

#4 JaneLane

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

How nice of your DH!  

Mine brought me home one years ago that was a friends that had upgraded to a new one. For some reason I found using a mouse easier so gave up on it.  When I have a working desktop computer again I think I will have to give it another go.

#5 raven74

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

ooooooohhhh! What a lovely man biggrin.gif   I think I'll add it to my "wish list!"

#6 ~Bob~

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I love mine. I hated it for a week or so, but when I got used to it I couldn't believe that I ever edited with a mouse! Congrats OP!!

#7 mummy26

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

I have the wacom intuos and don't use it as much as I should.

#8 Cat©

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

Hmmmm I have one too, Ive had it for a year but never used it for photos, in fact I havent used it at all! PMSL

how do you set it up to use it in photoediting? I tried to set it up for my son to use to write with and just couldnt get it to work properly!

#9 Jupiter123

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (Cat© @ 17/02/2013, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmmm I have one too, Ive had it for a year but never used it for photos, in fact I havent used it at all! PMSL

how do you set it up to use it in photoediting? I tried to set it up for my son to use to write with and just couldnt get it to work properly!

I just installed all the driver software and bundled software one of which was photoshop elements 9 and it just worked.

I don't know how it goes with earlier versions of photoshop or other photo editing software as yet, but I will test them out later today.

I did have to tweak the settings for the pen, movement speed, and touch hardness but that has been it.

#10 Madnesscraves

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Love them! They're fantastic! Best things ever invented

#11 CountryFeral

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

How would they go for actual drawing?

I keep coveting one whenever I read about them, but then push the idea to the back...

Does the stylus give you the same resistance as a real pen/pencil on the 'paper'?

I noticed (after googling when you posted) that officeworks have some quite cheap ones available.

#12 Jupiter123

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

CM the drawing doesn't seem too bad but to be honest I haven't really tried that out. The pen resistance changes the line thickness. The harder you press the thicker the line. I am still a pencil and paper girl myself so I probably won't use that side of it too much.

Mine was $135 from Harvey Norman but they have just the pen ones for $95.

#13 Cat©

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Tried mine today, finally found the software lol - thats why it wasnt working in photoshop - no software installed!

Works great, hard to get used to the pen and I kept dragging it everywhere like a mouse lol - but can see that after a few more uses I should have it and it is a bit easier to control.

#14 Jupiter123

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

That's great Cat, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

#15 Millie71

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I borrowed a friend's once and hated it, perhaps cos i use a mouse all day for work. It put me off buying one....

#16 ~Bob~

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

I hated mine too, at first. I put it away for 3 months and wrote it off as a bad purchase. Then I started to get pains in my arms from all the editing, so I tried again. I love it. I don't even browse the internet without it. When you edit, it is like drawing with a real pen, which is much more intuitive and natural than drawing with a mouse.

#17 Millie71

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

I think its something you have to just use continuously even though it might not be natural at first. I'm too impatient. One of the camera shops in Perth runs "Getting to know your tablet" courses for Intuos, so I would go to that if I ever bought one!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.