Cockroach alert! Best baits?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sāta kōrsa

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

We have a cockroach problem.  We're not crawling with them, but I have had the displeasure of being confronted by these vile, gargantuan, evil creatures of darkness a few times now when I've innocently walked into my kitchen.  They only appear one at a time, and freeze in spot as I do as we both spy each other and have a weird old west style showdown for a moment to see who blinks first.  

The fourth one met it's end at the bottom of DH's boot last night.  I bashed it like a crazy person.  I couldn't care less who I woke up in the house/neighbourhood at that point.  It was worth it.

So, the point of my little rant - can anyone PLEASE recommend to me a bait that has worked for them?  I'm trying to avoid having the house sprayed, if possible, and would much prefer to give baits a go first.  The hideous vermin are currently laughing at the Woolies ones we've been trialing.

(Oh, and a big thank you to the person IRL who, when I asked her the same question, helpfully informed me that she 'keeps a clean house and doesn't leave food out overnight so she doesn't have any problems with them'.  No, really.  Thank. You.)

Edited by sāta kōrsa, 17 February 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#2 4Princes

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Sticky baits work the best because they (the roaches) can no longer move and breed (in fact I have caught many females this way and their babies hatch on the bait and die too).  You can get hem here http://www.easypestsupplies.com.au/lo-line...roach-trap.html.  I have a woeful problem with them as the laundry wall no longer meets the ground (the floor has sunk, old house)  and they come under there from outside.  Also got rid of a very bad roach problem when living in a very old house in Newtown (NSW) with these beauties!

HTH

#3 sāta kōrsa

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Thanks!  I'll try to source them a bit cheaper or from the local shops.

#4 miriams

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Boric acid was the only thing that worked for us. We had a problem with them last summer. Fairly sure that it wasn't just us and a dirty house because we'd been living here for four years at that point and did not have a problem with them until then apart from spotting the occasional one. We rarely get large ones  but the small German cockroaches started multiplying like crazy. Tried baits, tried decluttering, went on massive purges with the sprays but they'd be back in a few weeks. It was really exhausting. We were at the point of calling in the exterminators but we were already worried about just how many chemicals we had been using with the spray.

Did some more research on the net and saw that lots of people were recommending boric acid as a solution. It gets stuck to roach feet and they lick it off later . Because it's mineralised seashell, it cuts them up on the inside and dessicates them . Roaches who eat dead roaches who have died of it also die. It  also destroys eggs . Couldn't find any at the hardware stores or major supermarkets so I bought 2kg of boric acid from a seller on Ebay. Mixed 2 parts of boric acid powder, 1 part flour and 1/2 part sugar in clean, dry tomato sauce bottle.  The flour and sugar act as the bait otherwise they won't walk over the acid. Puffed it along the backs of cupboards, under the fridge, along skirting etc. It took about three months for them to die off . This whole summer, we've seen about five roaches.

ETA: Even though it's got low toxicity, it is still recommended that you wear gloves and one of those face masks when applying it. It definitely causes skin irritation and you do not want to ingest it. Also, if you are pregnant, it is highly recommended that it not be used.

Edited by miriams, 17 February 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#5 sparassidae

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Just mention to the 'my house is clean so I don't get roaches' friend that they eat all sorts of things including paper and soap.

Yes, soap. We can't win laughing2.gif

But anyway, we usually stick the Mortein lure n kill ones around the obvious places and that seems to do the trick.

Unless you're living in Newtown. We were just happy when we lived there that we only had cockroaches and not rats biggrin.gif

#6 Water Dragon

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Another vote for Borax. I keep it in the house anyway to clean drains and the toilet if they get stained or smelly - it works wonders!!

#7 sāta kōrsa

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (sparassidae @ 17/02/2013, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just mention to the 'my house is clean so I don't get roaches' friend that they eat all sorts of things including paper and soap.

Love to!  She'd still find a way to sound superior though, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, those pesky roaches won't know what hit them.

#8 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (sparassidae @ 17/02/2013, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, soap. We can't win laughing2.gif

But anyway, we usually stick the Mortein lure n kill ones around the obvious places and that seems to do the trick.

Unless you're living in Newtown. We were just happy when we lived there that we only had cockroaches and not rats biggrin.gif

My sister lived in Newtown. She used to charge them rent. Made a fortune.

#9 mylittlemen

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

I just love the whole 'my house is so clean' rubbish. I usually feign utter amazement at the fact they keep no paper or cardboard in the house, somehow their hair never falls out (yes they eat that too) and they have energy after dinner to pull apart their rangehood and remove all traces of grease from the extractor hose.

We live in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney, not quite Newtown but not far off.  We rely on the professionals...  The big guys don't really work but I can recommend a small outfit if anyone is interested.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.