Why are my iron levels getting lower even though I eat red meat?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 flowermama

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

My iron levels were tested when I was pregnant with DD2 and were low, so my ob told me to take an iron supplement. I tried a few but they made me feel incredibly sick (one made me throw up). I was tested again when DD2 was about 6 months and they were still low, I think 17 or 19 - my GP told me the normal range is 30-150. At the time I wasn't eating a lot of red meat as I was on a very restricted diet to breastfeed DD2. Since then though I've been eating plenty of red meat, at least 3 times a week, plus we eat a lot of green vegetables like broccoli and beans. My iron was just tested again and is lower, 13. I don't understand how it can be lower when I eat red meat regularly! My GP left a note telling me to take an iron supplement but I really can't stomach them. Any ideas as to why my iron would be decreasing rather than increasing with regular red meat/green vegetable consumption??

#2 PatG

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

There is some interesting info here about the absorption of iron from different food types and factors which can increase or decrease your absorption.

Funnily enough the more iron stores you have the less you absorb and vice versa - not so helpful!

ETA new link as other didn't work http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/b.../Iron_explained

Edited by PatG, 17 February 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#3 causeway

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Maybe try a liquid supplement.

Also check out food combinations which may increase the absorption of iron. For example, drinking orange juice with your breakfast cereal can help with iron absorption

#4 rosie28

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Try Spatone if you have trouble with other supplements- it's a naturally occurring high iron water, you can mix it with orange juice. It's the only one that doesn't upset my tummy in one way or another!

#5 flowermama

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Unfortunately that link didn't work, PatG! I did try a liquid supplement and funnily enough that was the one that made me throw up. I'll stock up on some orange juice and see if that helps. I am still breastfeeding but I don't think that affects iron levels too much.

#6 hoohoobump

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm currently trying to increase my iron levels as I have been soooo tired. Ferritin low in recent blood tests.

I have to make sure I don't have tea/coffee close to food as well as that can effect absorption. I was told it was also the dairy that inhibited absorption, so I'm always confused by he advice re:breakfast cereal and OJ...

#7 Cat People

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Are you taking the supplement on an empty stomach?  Perhaps speak to your GP about an iron injection and further testing.

#8 niggles

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm trying to get mine back up but in my case I haven't been eating a lot of red meat so that's back on the menu. Sort of.

I'm taking a supplement with whatever meal is lowest in calcium and avoiding tea or coffee at that time too (calcium and tannins inhibit absorption). My supplement has Vitamin C included in it to aid absorption.

I've noticed a bit of difference in my fatigue but I can tell I'm not there yet. It's been 2 months since I've been making more of an effort.

#9 noonehere

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Im constantly up and down with my levels.
I was told to have vit c (like a good quality juice) when taking the tablet as it carrys the iron or something?

#10 Juju38

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

I have had the same problem on and off in my pregnancies.  The best supplement (no nausea or constipation) and I have tried them all (!) is Metagenics.  You can only get it from naturopaths and some doctors.  It gets my levels up again fairly quickly with 2 per day.

Good luck

#11 mindy05

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

My DD has just been put on an iron supplement by our GP, and she was also told to get plenty of vitamin C as this helps with absorption.

#12 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/cr..._b_1758346.html

Take the iron tablets.

It's a myth that you need red meat for iron anyway, given most of the world eats much less red meat than Australians do. Non-heme iron is good for you too.

My bigger question is why you're iron deficient... Pregnancy will do it, as well as heavy periods. Or a generally nutrient poor diet. Red meat alone to correct irondeficiency is insufficient if you're eating white bread and few veggies. Broaden your diet, eat more whole grains and fresh veg.

#13 namie

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (rosie28 @ 17/02/2013, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try Spatone if you have trouble with other supplements- it's a naturally occurring high iron water, you can mix it with orange juice. It's the only one that doesn't upset my tummy in one way or another!

I was going to suggest this too as it helped me get my levels back up in my last two pregnancies.

My Ob said at the time that a liquid supplement is generally absorbed better than any other type (providing you follow other advice PPs gave of increasing vit C and not having too much calcium or caffeine at the same time), particularly in people who don't absorb it as well as others.

Perhaps you are one such person who doesn't absorb it efficiently. If you can't find a supplement that works for you (and even if you can), you may need to follow all of the above advice, but also look at other iron-rich foods.

These sites list iron-rich foods: Top 10 list (US site), Top 9 List(Aus site), from Aus Institute of Sport and Better Health Vic.

#14 Guest_*SnowFlower*_*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I have very low iron levels and have never been able to tolerate iron tablets until recently when I tried ferro-grad C. Have you tried it?.

http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/product...in+C+Tablets+30

#15 *kat*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

I have the same problem.... Levels were 11, then 9 and now at 4  sad.gif .

I have had countless iron injections (dont work) 2 iron infusions (reaction to the last one) which only pushed it up to about 13 for a few months but didnt last.

Have used Ferro grad C, Liquid Iron... made sure I took it with juice, made sure I didnt take it with any other vitaman as they can affect it.

Finally after 5 years I am seeing a haemotologist that will look into everything - sometimes there can be a deficency in the body that doesnt allow you to store it. If this is the case, it doesnt matter if you ate liver all day - it would be the same.

If all of the others suggestions dont work, I would get it looked into.

I'm tired of feeling tired !  cool.gif  Its not nice, hope you get answers soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.