Public School Fees...
*spin off*

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

I was reading the public school fees thread and saw the comparison of NSW, VIC and SA in the school fees, it seems NSW you can pay <$100 for a school year for 1 child. (not taking into account exursions, uniforms, camps etc).

It got me thinking why is there such a discrepancy in school fees between the states? Is it a state/federal government thing? funding problems, population variations (areas where there could be more under priviledged families or where there are less under priviledged families).

It seems odd to me that there is such a huge variation between states.

#2 Lady Garden

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Yes I thought so too. I don't know why there's a difference, my DD's school is just your average public primary. It's in a good area, and most of the parents pay the fees. Still, $650 seems to be pretty steep in comparison to others.

#3 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

It's weird I looked a few private catholic school websites in my area just now and the one I went to in primary school is $385 for grade prep-3 then goes up and additional $50 for grade 4-5 then $690 for year 6 including the graduation jumper. All other the private schools where similar in pricing (in my area) and it seems that it can be much of a muchness when it comes to private v public in Northern Suburbs of Melbourne.

It's odd when you compare the states.

#4 Lady Garden

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Are you saying that a Catholic primary school is $385 a year? Seriously, that is amazing! How do they operate?

#5 Dionysus

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Am from SA and (as I said in the other thread) amazed at the difference.

Though, we have very affordable and accessible pre-school/kinder, which seems quite different from NSW

#6 JRA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 17/02/2013, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you saying that a Catholic primary school is $385 a year? Seriously, that is amazing! How do they operate?

Because often a catholic school will receive as much govt funding as a state school, very different to a private school

#7 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Yep, it's not a big school it's a "parish" school for a family the school fee is capped at $1550. It's not including uniform.

If I had a child in primary school the public school in the street behind me is $450 for prep and increased $50 per year, not including school uniform. So for me it would be cheaper to send said child to the school that is 10 minutes away opposed to around the corner.

Hmmm all very confusing.

#8 IsolaBella

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

It will also be the area.

Our inner East Melb local Catholic is $900 per term for first child (includes all stationary, books, excursions) so $3,600 per year for first child and $50 per term ($200per year) extra for additional children.

#9 Lady Garden

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

Yes, I just looked up one of our local Catholic schools and the fees were charged by family. So if I had three children and didn't mind religious education, it would be more economical for me to send them to the Catholic school than to the state school next door.

Something's not quite right there.

#10 LynnyP

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

A state public school gets most of its funding from the state government.  Non state schools get most of their government funding from the Federal government.  If you look at schools in, say, Epping Vic a public primary school gets about $6k per student from the State Government, a parish school there gets just over $5k per student from the Federal Government.  Independent schools (non Catholic schools) get much less per student.

#11 Cat Burglar

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Public education is something % state funded and something % federal funded. I think its like 60/40, please correct me if thats wrong, but that would be a lot of the reason why the fees are more in some states than others.

Not that Im complaining about education, but so many other things are more expensive in SA, yet our wages are lower....

#12 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

It's weird to think that if you live on the VIC NSW boarder that you could send your child to school in $300+ or send your child to school over the boarder (if possible) for <$100.

Something very odd about that.

#13 againagain

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

A state public school gets most of its funding from the state government. Non state schools get most of their government funding from the Federal government. If you look at schools in, say, Epping Vic a public primary school gets about $6k per student from the State Government, a parish school there gets just over $5k per student from the Federal Government. Independent schools (non Catholic schools) get much less per student.

Aha it all makes sense now. I have been wondering about the funding state/federal split for a while now. You can look on the myschool website and see how much per student comes from state, federal, family input and fundraising.

#14 *-*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (YellowKittyGlenn @ 17/02/2013, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's weird to think that if you live on the VIC NSW boarder that you could send your child to school in $300+ or send your child to school over the boarder (if possible) for <$100.

Something very odd about that.

No, you can't just "decide" which way to go.  You are Zoned, and have to have a pretty damn good explanation as to why you are sending your child to another school.  It can be doe. but certain protocols must be adhered to, and there is never any guarantee.

When you are on the border, as we are, there are issues.  Our local private school is in NSW - Many parents are pulling their children out in year 11 - to finish their education in Victoria, so to better match with Victorian universities.

So, whilst yes, it is possible.... most of those that I know that live in NSW, and send their kids to school in Vic, have actually used a different address to get in.

Oh, and around here, regardless of the state, the contributions are much the same.

#15 babyruby

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 17/02/2013, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I just looked up one of our local Catholic schools and the fees were charged by family. So if I had three children and didn't mind religious education, it would be more economical for me to send them to the Catholic school than to the state school next door.

Sorry, but I am not sure whether the decision to send a child to a religious school versus a state school should be based on the economics, even if you didn't mind the religious education.

#16 Lady Garden

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

LOL, even if it was free I wouldn't send my children to a Catholic school, but you've got to admit, it is weird that a public primary school costs more than the "private" one.

#17 somila

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Public education means State education.  These systems developed quite separately from each other and the many differences have caused headaches for those moving interstate for decades (handwriting style, age cut-offs, curriculum, terminology).  

The recent moves toward similar age cut-offs and a national curriculum have taken years to phase in and there is still dissent as to who had it "right".

Once it was only the very rich or sectarian families who sent their children to non-State schools.

#18 Percoriel

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 18/02/2013, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL, even if it was free I wouldn't send my children to a Catholic school, but you've got to admit, it is weird that a public primary school costs more than the "private" one.

The reason the Catholic schools are funded so is that in the 60's I think it was, in NSW or somewhere, the Govt cut the funding to Catholic schools so they shut down, sending their students to the state schools and they were then flooded with students - so the funding got reinstated.

I could be talking out my a*se but I'm pretty sure it was something like that. No doubt someone will correct me!

#19 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Our public school kept fees at $55 per student. Three students from one family pay $130.

At the P&C meeting, the principal said that NSW average public school fees were $42.

Apparently it's up to the school/P&C what gets supplied and what fees are.

#20 Heather11

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (**Mel** @ 17/02/2013, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am from SA and (as I said in the other thread) amazed at the difference.

Though, we have very affordable and accessible pre-school/kinder, which seems quite different from NSW

Yes, I was thinking that the NSW Government feels sorry for parents after they have to pay exorbitant amounts for Preschool therefore school fees are kept low.

#21 FeralZombieMum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 17/02/2013, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a few more fees that schools probably charge.

For our local catholic primary school, there is 3 different fees charged per family - but you do get charged more if you have a few kids there, but it's like a sliding scale, so each subsequent child is cheaper.

Family fee which is the largest expense. Your first child is the most expensive, then the second child is charged less, then 3rd is charged even less, no extra cost for a 4th child.

BUT there is also
Capital Fee ranges from $350 for 1 child, to $450 if you have a few kids at the school
and
Maintenance fee $65 per family but you can opt to give up a few hours to do the work instead.

Then you have the fees associated for each child:
Student fees -  which is made up of lots of fees such as Curriculum Fee $235, Swimming Fee, Technology Levy $300 for upper primary, $175 for middle primary and $75 for those in lower primary.

So as you can see, there is no way that it would cost less to send your child to a Catholic school as opposed to the local state school. You can also view the MySchool website to see the school's finances and you'll realise that the Catholic school gets less funding per child compared to the local state school.

Oh, and the Parents and Friends Association helps keep costs down - a LOT of fundraising is done throughout the year, which tends to be money that comes out of the pockets of school families anyway.

#22 Kay1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

In NSW public schools the Voluntary School Contribution fee is $40 per year per student. Then its up to the school/P&C how much extra they raise through 'fees'.

I paid $350 for my son's public school fees this year (NSW). That includes some excursions, funds a dedicated sport and music teacher and includes exercise books etc.

Next year it jumps to $640 because of a camp.

#23 somila

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Percoriel @ 18/02/2013, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason the Catholic schools are funded so is that in the 60's I think it was, in NSW or somewhere, the Govt cut the funding to Catholic schools so they shut down, sending their students to the state schools and they were then flooded with students - so the funding got reinstated.

I could be talking out my a*se but I'm pretty sure it was something like that. No doubt someone will correct me!

Sort of right.  It was in Goulburn, and the funding wasn't cut, the local Catholic school was simply required to install more toilets.  "No money!" they cried and thus began a local resistance movement that has shaped school funding policy until this very day.

Full story is here:
http://www.abc.net.au/time/episodes/ep7.htm

#24 somila

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Double post.

Edited by somila, 18 February 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#25 Percoriel

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Thanks Somila - knew it was kinda wrong. kinda right! laughing2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.