Precocious puberty?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JaneDoe2010

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Has anyone here had a DD go through puberty early? My 8 year old is and I'm so sad for her. sad.gif She's been wearing deodorant for a year now, has small breasts developing, a couple of instances of vaginal discharge and now hair starting under her arms. Paed also thinks rapid weight and height increase in last year could be due to puberty too.

We are seeing all the relevant professionals, but I'd love to hear of the experience of others. Did they try to halt it? Why/why not? How long from early symptoms until period? Did she still grow in height?

Thanks.

#2 JaneDoe2010

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Anyone?

#3 tummypudding

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I've tried to PM you several times about my DD's experience but EB keeps deleting it. If you want to try PMing me I'll try a reply.

#4 blondie82

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Out of curiosity, why would you try and halt it?

In this day and age 8 years old isn't too far off the mark with reaching puberty. I've been told that when a young girl reaches towards 40kg, you can expect them to get their period soon.

#5 blondie82

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 18/02/2013, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because they can end up shorter as an adult

Are you being serious??

#6 katiebear26

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

there was a thing on Dr Oz about this recently. there are studies going on in the USA to find out why it's happening earlier for many girls, some people think it's due to the over-sexualisation of kids e.g. music video clips, wearing clothes that imitate adult fashion, more access to stuff online etc. i'm not sure what it really is but will be interested to know what the studies show when they are complete.

8 is so young though, i hope your DD is ok and can understand what she's going through.

#7 Melons

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

I sat on or above the 100 percentile for height for most of my childhood, I remember towering above kids in kindy and school. When AF started I was 9yo, I was already around 144cm and physically quite developed. Since then I've grown another 19cm to 163cm, which is according to Australian Bureau of Statistics is 0.9cm above average.

Puberty didn't stop my growth (all though this was nearly 15 years ago now), maybe had it started later I could've been a supermodel or maybe it was genetics?

#8 RenoMum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

My DD9 is going through puberty that started when she was eight. She was getting pubic hair so my husband and I had a big talk with her ( yes the talk!) about what was happening to her body and about sex. She already knew the biology of procreation but not the physical logistics if you know what I mean and she had been asking. We got her What's Happening to Me? and Where Did I Come From? which are still great books. She took it really well and was excited about it.  She hasn't had a problem with her friends or anything. She can be a pain in the ass though. I get a lot of attitude and rudeness. She is now developing breasts and we got a bralette (bra style crop top) at Target when buying school stuff in Jan. The dentist said she her dental development is that of an 11 year old. So it seems her body is 2 years ahead of her age as her height and size means she wears a size 11/12. I find it a bit distressing as I didn't go through puberty until I was 14 and was ready for it but she is still a little girl but her body is fast becoming a teenagers. We haven't been to doctor's or anything though I guess we figured we'd just let nature take its course.

#9 JaneDoe2010

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 18/02/2013, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because they can end up shorter as an adult

Yes, she's serious. DD is already very short so we have that to consider.

Thank you for all the responses. Tummypudding (love your username by the way) I'll try to PM you.

#10 JaneDoe2010

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Yes I've heard and read the same Rawr. original.gif

#11 tummypudding

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

The height thing is indisputably medically proven, and one of the factors that need to be taken into consideration when deciding whether to treat a child to control precocious puberty. It is linked to bone growth and bone age.

JaneDoe I can't send PMs at all, not sure what is going on, tried a long response, if you PM me your email address I can tell you about my DD's situation.

#12 bluegirl8

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I went through precocious puberty. I started developing breasts and body hair when I was 8, period when I was 9 and shortly thereafter I reached my full height of 163cm. It is genetic, and thankfully my mother took the care to warn me and give me all the knowledge I needed to prepare for it.

If you want to ask me anything, I'd be happy to answer.

#13 Brattacino

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Though this link might be helpful
Myths and variations in normal pubertal development
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1070801/

#14 Propaganda

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

This was me as a kid. I had breasts and pubic hair when I was 8.

Nobody seemed alarmed by it though, I just had to suffer through it.

Long-term it's done no damage, it was just awful to go through when all your friends are getting changed for swimming, and you're scared that someone will see your pubic hair.

I had the body of a woman at 12, and that's when I stopped growing in height as well. I was tall for a 12-year-old, but am a short adult.

I expect it might be genetic for my child, but I know it wasn't genetic for me. My mother didn't go through puberty until her mid-late teens.

Edited by Propaganda, 19 February 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#15 JaneDoe2010

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for that link, I'll have a look at it. original.gif

Will send my email TP.

I think we'll just have to get a referral ASAP to paed endo and see what they say. If a professional says just ride with it that's what we will do, I just don't know the right direction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.