Birthday Party ideas

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 emlis22

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

DPs Birthday is coming up and we plan to have a gathering type affair at our house on the Saturday night. The only thing is, we've hosted a fair few BBQs this summer, so I don't want it to be like every other time if that makes sense (usually we provide meat and guests brings snacks and salads and everyone BYO drinks). So I'm wondering if any of you have some ideas about how to make this night a bit more special? There will probably be about 15-20 guests, mostly kidless couples ranging from mid20s to mid30s, most of whom are big drinkers.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

#2 Academic

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

How about theming it around a particular cuisine (Italian, Mexican, etc.) - one that your DH particularly likes? Gives you a chance to do something a bit different with the food and the drinks! You could do themed cocktails, beers and wines as well.

Decorations can go a long way to creating a special atmosphere. They don't have to be cheesy or match the food theme if you go with that. Will the party be in your backyard? You could set up a gazebo and hang curtains or fabric from the top poles, and maybe have the food table and cake under it. Sort of like this: http://www.furnishingtouches.ie/images/cur.../outdoors_1.jpg - although the curtains there are pretty feminine, you could choose some more to your DH's taste!

Lighting is important too. Again, fairy lights or paper lanterns might be a bit girly, but you could make some brown paper bag luminaries (with battery candles so there's no risk of fire), or hire some coloured spot cans to illuminate parts of your outdoor space in a cool way. There's always the good old tiki torch too.

#3 emlis22

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Yeah it's in our back yard, we have a big covered deck area (about 6m x6m), with outdoor couches etc.

ooh I love the tiki torch idea - I wouldn't have thought of that, i'll be getting some of those for sure! I ordered some paper lanterns to hang from the roof (and yes, very hard not to make them girly! - they are probably more for me happy.gif ).

Thanks academic!

#4 blenheim

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

We had a build your own burger lunch which was great - and for dessert, we had an icecream bar - just plain icecream but eleventy billion toppings/sauces/sprinkles/crushes etc - it was super easy, a novelty and everyone loved it.

#5 Academic

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (blenheim @ 21/02/2013, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We had a build your own burger lunch which was great - and for dessert, we had an icecream bar - just plain icecream but eleventy billion toppings/sauces/sprinkles/crushes etc - it was super easy, a novelty and everyone loved it.

I love this idea! Will have to file it away for our next party.

We had a crepe bar at one party. All kinds of gourmet fillings that people could choose from, and DH just kept a frypan going on the portable stove to whip them up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.