Cheap Robotic vacuum
Anyone have one?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Manda

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I'm looking into a cheapie robotic vacuum, and am just wondedring if anyone has one to share your thoughts on them.

I eventually want to get a good one but for now i can't afford the expense and am just looking for a cheap one to get me through.

Now my reasons/needs for getting one are, that i have a few chronic pain conditions (mainly fibromyalgia, and bad knees - awaiting MRI results for dx) So doing things like vacuuming/sweeping/mopping are very painful tasks.I don't expect the vac to be that perfect i wont have to do manual cleaning- i just want to try and cut the load down.

My house is tile downstairs and carpet (short loop pile) upstarirs- no rugs. If that is helpful.

Ive seen some on ebay for around $90 i can't see any brand all i can see in the pic is k6. I've tried googling reviews of that, but no a lot comes up.

So if you have a cheapie one what brand is it? How good of a job does it do?

Any reviews on any cheap brand welcome.

#2 Feral timtam

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

I have an ebay cheapie, 'robotic broom'  would be a more accurate description than robotic vacuum cleaner.
You still have to pick up bread tag sized things that are on the floor, I found that anything bigger than a pin head would cause it to clog up and stop working. Not to mention the constantly having to fish the thing out from under furniture when it went flat.

In a carpeted environment they are great for keeping on top of the vacuuming provided you did a proper vacuum once a week or so. In a hard floor environment they just seem to move the dust around and the Vileda robotic sweeper is actually a better choice.

#3 Manda

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hmm ok Thanks it's given me something to think about.

I must admitt im not really sure of the vileda sweeper, i think i'd need something with some suction, as my white tiles with kids and living in a sandy area, get very grubby with debrie not just dust.

If anyone has any other reviews bring them on.

#4 R2B2

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

robomaid are on special right now. they can also be paid off in instalments original.gif

#5 Manda

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

R2B2: Where abouts and at what price? maybe thats an option.

#6 R2B2

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

check the robomaid website.

its $369 but you cant do 3 instalments of $123. it automatically sets for it to be a monthly payment but I opted for fortnightly.

it gets sent once first payment clears.

Edited by R2B2, 18 February 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#7 Blingy

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hi Manda

I tried to send you a pm about mine cheapie awhile ago but couldn't get it to work :-(

I have a dirt devil $99 from Bunnings. I have tiles and floorboards *got rid of the carpets because vacuuming was too hard on my back*and rarely have I pulled my broom out since getting it

It does take awhile to do the whole place and I have to recharge once and empty it,and occasionally give it a nudge with my foot if i want it to go to a particular area first but I wouldn't be without it now, I'm hoping that a robotic mop comes my way at some point!

I hope that helps :-)

#8 lamarque

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Robomaid

original.gif

#9 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

My mum had one till the cat broke it. The robot turned evil and chased one of our cats, the cat discovered going down stairs stopped the harassment until the damn thing followed the cat or the cat pushed it were not quiet sure either way my mum came home to a dead robovac and a happier cat. After that experience I wouldn't buy one.

#10 kitkatswing

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

I wish I hadnt read this thread now.....

Im going home tonight to see if I can swing the three monthly payments into the budget,.,....

#11 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

I'm going to get one.

Can it go over rugs on hard floors?

#12 Manda

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hmmm descions!

I'm really not sure what im going to do!

As i said in my OP i was going to buy a cheapie now and a good one at tax time or whenever i can afford it. I had been looking at the neato (tobuy down the track) if i was able to work out the logistics of having it shipped from overseas and getting an au adaptor. I like the neato for a few reasons-The shape (seems better for corners and wall edges)- The reviews (not many bad ones from what ive read)-The fact that it "maps" the house rather than randomly running around. So then i would i use one upstirs and one down.

Now im wondering if i should stick to that plan or go with the robomaid-and only have 1 robo vac. Then with the robomaid the reviews seem split.

Oh drats i don't know lol!

Guess i need to mull it over in my head some more.

Feel free to add your thoughts original.gif

#13 Cat Burglar

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

Bumping this up if anyone else has any thoughts.
Hope you dont mind me riding on your thread OP
We have floorboards, slate in kitchen and no pets. I just need to keep on top of kids crumbs during the week when I go back to work full time, would a cheapie robovac help?
Thanks!

#14 ~azure~

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

We have an irobot, i got it on special from Big W for $300 and something (it was over 100 bucks off at the time).
I love it, we set it to hit the lounge and it does such an awesome job, we have to be careful on the family, kitchen room etc, as we have a pet budgie who roams around freely and he gets quite freaked out by it, but we just lock him up and it does its thing, i was very surprised at how good it does the carpet, and how much crap it gets.
It did come with virtual walls, but we just shut off any rooms we dont want it to go into.
Would totally recommend original.gif

#15 Twinkletoot

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Choice did a review last sept and recommended the irobot roomba - robomaid came last - tho I have a robomaid and I love it.. Never tried the irobot myself to kñow if it is better

#16 weepingangel

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

We have an irobot and i LOVE him ( noonoo is his name original.gif )

We have hard floors with mats and uneven surfaces going into certain rooms and he does it all with ease.

Edited by DarylDixonismyhero, 22 March 2013 - 07:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.